How to connect the signal from main amplifier to sub-amplifiers?

Sandbakk

• Dipole is my choice of speaker construction.
Please forgive me for asking questions that are quite obvious to many; I have a mild version of ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder, Asperger's Syndrome), and although I am technically educated and can think from experience logic, I still often have to get everything presented to me in detail for me to understand it.  :?

Questions:
1. How do you connect the signal from the main amplifier to the sub-amplifiers (A370PEQ)? I currently have an amplifier without extra extra line outputs, so as I see it, the only option for me is to connect the sub-amplifiers to the speaker outputs on the main amplifier.

2. I have plans to switch to a set of preamplifier and power amplifier. The preamplifier will have additional line outputs. Would it be more beneficial to use these for the signal to the sub-amplifiers? And is it then an advantage to use XLR, or is RCA "good enough"?

3. What is the purpose of L and R inputs on the sub-amplifiers if these are mono-amplifiers? Should I use only one of the inputs on each amplifier when there are two subwoofers with one amplifier each, as in the Server Sub Kit 5 x 2?

Thanks

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Please forgive me for asking questions that are quite obvious to many; I have a mild version of ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder, Asperger's Syndrome), and although I am technically educated and can think from experience logic, I still often have to get everything presented to me in detail for me to understand it.  :?

Questions:
1. How do you connect the signal from the main amplifier to the sub-amplifiers (A370PEQ)? I currently have an amplifier without extra extra line outputs, so as I see it, the only option for me is to connect the sub-amplifiers to the speaker outputs on the main amplifier.

2. I have plans to switch to a set of preamplifier and power amplifier. The preamplifier will have additional line outputs. Would it be more beneficial to use these for the signal to the sub-amplifiers? And is it then an advantage to use XLR, or is RCA "good enough"?

3. What is the purpose of L and R inputs on the sub-amplifiers if these are mono-amplifiers? Should I use only one of the inputs on each amplifier when there are two subwoofers with one amplifier each, as in the Server Sub Kit 5 x 2?

Thanks

1.) with your current setup, yes connect the high level inputs (speaker Binding posts) on the A370PEQ amp to the speaker binding posts of your main amplifier

2.) With the A370PEQ amps you can continue to use the speaker binding posts or use RCA connectors. The A370PEQ amp does not have balanced (XLR) inputs. If you want to use XLR connectors you would need the A370XLR3 amp.

3.) If using only one A370 amp, you would connect both the left and right inputs. The amp will sum these two signals into one mono signal. If using two A370 amps in stereo, you connect to either the left or right input on each of the A370 amps.

Mike

Sandbakk

:D

mikeeastman

I use an Iso-Max to convert the high level amp output to low level RCA. It is suppose to be better to connect to the A370PEQ using the low level inputs than the high, or that was what I was told. You could check with Danny.

Heres my setup.

Vince in TX

I use an Iso-Max to convert the high level amp output to low level RCA. It is suppose to be better to connect to the A370PEQ using the low level inputs than the high, or that was what I was told. You could check with Danny.

Heres my setup.

Something like this may be exactly what I've been searching for also.  My Odyssey amp is within two weeks of getting here, and I've been banging my head around how I was going to get the signal from the back of the room using high-level from my AVR to the front of the room where the Odyssey will live along with another pre-amp (for phono and digital music).

This is how my speakers are connected at the moment (yes, I know it's dirty - sheetrock dust from when I installed the sconce  :D).  My plan when the amp arrives is to combine both of those 16/2 wires (AudioQuest SLiP-PB 16/2, white/black) into a single ~10/2, and then get some of Danny's magic speaker cables to run between the wall and the amp.

sailor

If you bought from GR Research then demand help from the owner!

Vince in TX

If you bought from GR Research then demand help from the owner!

Danny is way too nice to make demands of him, but I actively seek out his advice from time to time.    :D

VinceT

Danny is way too nice to make demands of him, but I actively seek out his advice from time to time.    :D

I agree, becoming an "Audiophile Karen" will not make the situation any better  :lol:

The owners and folks on thre forums are great and very helpful! In fact there has already been solutions presented in less than 12 hours of this post.  :thumb:

Sandbakk

I will never demand anything from Danny, he is a very busy man, and creates such wonderful sound solutions for us as well as answering all our questions as best he can, I am only grateful for all the help I can get from him. And now I have discovered this forum, so now it is even easier to get good help.

Thanks for the good answers and good guidance on connecting the sub-amplifiers to main amplifiers and speakers, I now understand that I have come to the right place in relation to getting qualified help, only one behaves "normally", that is, polite and respectful. Thanks.  :D

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
This is why I love AC and spend so much time here - "Polite and respectful", that's us :) 

Sometimes there are a few idiots that don't know how to behave but I've noticed that they don't last long here.

genjamon

Here's a cheap and cheerful option I saw recommended on another thread: https://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-35-Variable-Line-Converter/dp/B001EAWS3W

I bought one, but haven't hooked it up yet, so can't comment on sound quality or anything.

NoahH

This is why I love AC and spend so much time here - "Polite and respectful", that's us :) 

Sometimes there are a few idiots that don't know how to behave but I've noticed that they don't last long here.

Every once in a while I make a bad choice and open the audiophile sub on Reddit. I always end up sad from it, and return to civil locations like this.

NoahH

On the main topic, there is an assertion in the thread that Danny is anti-high-level-input; is that correct? I am still waiting on my sub baffles to build my OB subs, but my current subs are REL. They crushed everything I used previously, and they strongly encourage high level input.

Anyone tried both with the Rythmik plates?

PDR

• May the best man win

Heres my setup.

I also use a converter like this for both SS and tube equipment.....works well for almost 6 yrs now.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
On the main topic, there is an assertion in the thread that Danny is anti-high-level-input; is that correct? I am still waiting on my sub baffles to build my OB subs, but my current subs are REL. They crushed everything I used previously, and they strongly encourage high level input.

Anyone tried both with the Rythmik plates?

IME, the high level inputs do sound better, but that's not to say that the speaker level connections sound bad.  In fact, I'm very familiar with how REL subs sound, and as good as they are, they are not even in the same class as the dual OB Servo subs.  Even with speaker level connections the GR Research subs pretty much crush them for any/all music.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Another method is to use two pairs of stacking dual banana plugs. One pair carrying the main speaker wires to the main speakers.  The second pair of stacking dual banana plug simply plug into the first pair at your amplifier and take the signal to your subwoofers.

Pomona dual stacking banana plugs are available at Digikey.com or Mouser.com.

Frank

genjamon

I interpreted the OP as asking about connecting to a subwoofer amplifier using the L/R line inputs, assuming his subwoofer amplifier doesn't have speaker-level inputs, since many do not have them.  My own also do not have them.  In this circumstance, you need something to convert speaker-level outputs from your main amp to line-level inputs of your subwoofer amplifier.  The Iso-Max device is one option, and it looks like there are cheaper options made for the car audio market as well (a la the Amazon link I provided). 

I also have a janky old cable designed for this purpose by Ed Schilling of Hornshoppe which I believe is just a set of RCA cables with the RCA connectors cut off on one end and some resistors installed in-line before the RCA plugs on the other end.  Not sure about that design, though.  And he might also be doing something "creative" with grounding too.  Anyway, it has worked in a number of setups, but often doesn't provide sufficient range of motion on the subwoofer's gain settings, I assume due to the resistor values chosen.  Ed described it as a cable to help out situations where you couldn't get enough gain from your subwoofer amp for satisfying synergy with high efficiency main speakers.

NoahH

IME, the high level inputs do sound better, but that's not to say that the speaker level connections sound bad.  In fact, I'm very familiar with how REL subs sound, and as good as they are, they are not even in the same class as the dual OB Servo subs.  Even with speaker level connections the GR Research subs pretty much crush them for any/all music.

Sorry Tyson - I was unclear. I don't mean that the RELs themselves are better than OB. I mean that the RELs are better than any other box subs I have tried, and REL is religious about using high level inputs vs the line levels. I am reconciling that with Danny suggesting the opposite.

Thus I am wondering if the Rythmik plates perhaps handle the high-level input less elegantly or if there is something about the plate amp or such, and whether anyone had tried to A/B the inputs on the plate.

I particularly care about this because when @captainnemo wraps up the baffles for my subs, I need to choose which plate amps to get, and basically the choice is XLR inputs or high levels (both models have RCA). I was planning to get the version with high level, but if those underperform on these plates, it would affect the decision.

Thanks!

JackD

I'm using the high level(speaker) inputs on two pair of Rythmik F12's and have no complaints about the performance and prefer it to the line level inputs so as with everything else in the hobby it comes down to personal preference.  Brian at Rythmik prefers the line level connection but I have wondered if that if is due to a sound preference or the lesser chance of incorrect connections leading to amp damage with high level. With Class D and fully differential amps incorrect hook up can cause issues if not done correctly. 

Danny Richie

I'd respond, but the great community of guys that we have here pretty much covered it all.

This video that I shot on it might be helpful too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=908BWw1Bx4U&t=27s