Tube amp question

Shives

• I like French fries
Tube amp question
« on: 19 Jun 2021, 02:23 pm »
Hello,

I found a TU-8300R kit.. I’m sure some of you have seen it! It’s new in the box, but sitting.

The 8300R is a little over 8watts as configured. And this is a kit.

Has anyone worked with this style amp? More so hooking up to some X-Statiks? Just curious. I’ve heard great things about these kits. Granted this kit is older, it’s in the box as seen. And able to get a decent price on said kit.

Anyone have a thought about it?? Honestly I’ve been dying to build an amp. I’ve got 2 new rolls of silver solder, and station setup ready to go! I think this will be an inexpensive way to hear tubes and screw around with a decent platform.

Questions, comments suggestions criticisms? All welcome.

mkrawcz

Re: Tube amp question
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2021, 03:05 pm »
I haven’t heard this particular Elekit, but I have built and own the tu-8500 pre and the TU-8600s. Both of those sound fantastic for the money. The build guide that Elekit provides makes it pretty much as easy as it can get to build them. If you follow the instructions, it’s very hard to screw up.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2021, 11:01 pm »
8 watts isn’t a lot of power for X-Statiks.  It’ll work but you may find it limiting if you try to crank it.  Elekits have gotten lots of praise lately.  I’m even tempted to get one someday. X-Statiks can handle a lot of power.  The first time I heard them they were being driven by 300 watt amps.  Currently I’m driving mine with a Denon receiver that has 90 watts /ch in stereo.
« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2021, 01:18 am by corndog71 »

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2021, 02:02 pm »
Hey bud!!

So, I went to send you a message seeing we’ve been going back and fourth. You made reference to a build to try. I saw this, and had to jump on it. Yes, I agree and was thinking the same.. 8 is a little under by 2-7 Watts from what I remember.

But, as a kit to build and screw around with… Man I got a heck of a deal!

I need to dive in a bit further and see what can be done if anything… One thing I liked about the 8300r is fact you get to change tube types.. if you don’t like the 300B’s you can use… well this will say it better then I.

Triode connection of pentodes is also an option. The sound of triode-connected pentode and beam tubes is just as attractive as that of the 300B. In the TU-8300R, the use of octal sockets enables triode connections for popular pentodes such as the KT88, 6550, KT66, EL34, 6L6GC and others without any modifications to the amp. The constant current circuit is employed so that a constant plate current can flow when any of the above mentioned tubes, and possibly many other types, are installed (Constant current value can be fine-adjusted).

So from what I gather Tube rolling will be easy.. But I’m also wondering the power changes between tubes.

So, I’m honest… my first tube amp! I’m so excited to build it. That part.. No worries.

Sooooo Corndog… If you or anyone has some advise for upgrades and such… please let me know. Comes with a set of tubes to start…300b and 12at7 (which I also read the 300B given not bad.. and the 12’s should be upgraded

I need to read things and look them over.. But I’m wondering if a tube roll will get me a little bit more power

Possible upgrade to transformer.. and caps

Thoughts.

Excited. Plan, build… play… sell… Maybe. Lol 

mkrawcz

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2021, 03:34 pm »
If you or anyone has some advise for upgrades and such… please let me know.
Upgrade the coupling caps always. Go with VCAPs either cutf or odam. Either one is better than any other cap on the market at any price IMO. The cutf caps take a very long time to break in, 400hrs and are very expensive. The odam's are most of the way there after 100hrs. I have CUTF caps in my 8600s and odams in my 8500 pre.

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2021, 03:51 pm »
Those are the things I’m looking for!!

Upgrade the coupling caps always. Go with VCAPs either cutf or odam. Either one is better than any other cap on the market at any price IMO. The cutf caps take a very long time to break in, 400hrs and are very expensive. The odam's are most of the way there after 100hrs. I have CUTF caps in my 8600s and odams in my 8500 pre.

Awesome suggestions!

Also, something that I won’t be able to do in my current location is crank the volume up to crazy levels! I’m just not in a location currently that I would even want to (respect)

For reference I normally listen to my 2Ch around -62Db on my Denon. I don’t even know if this helps for reference. Again? Don’t mean much I’m sure.

Reference 85 DB no.. lol that’s too loud.

I will/do have some other speakers to try on it.. But just getting a general census of thoughts, and options. Thanks again very much.

I’m excited as all get out to get this, and play. I think the best feature is the easy ability to roll. Just change sockets. I’m guessing the kit has the ceramics (hope) going to try and find the instruction DL to check out, maybe find the value of said caps and purchase now. I’ll have to look at the price difference between the two.

Any reason you went with one type in the amp, and other in pre? Just curious. Thank you.

mkrawcz

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2021, 04:08 pm »
Any reason you went with one type in the amp, and other in pre? Just curious. Thank you.
It was a combination of price, physical size of the cap, and curiosity. The ODAMs are much smaller for any particular value compared to the CUTF. Depending on the value the CUTF may be too large to fit on the board or in the chassis.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2021, 06:46 pm »
For coupling caps I prefer Miflex copper.  Even the cheaper versions are really good sounding.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/miflex-kfpm.html

Plus I’m on a tight budget and always looking for cheaper options. 

The V-caps are well made and do sound good but Clarity Cap CMR series are just as good for less money.  To be fair I haven’t heard the ODAM series yet.

Another favorite tweak of mine for tube amps is using Kimber TCSS for internal wire.  It’s Teflon insulated with high purity copper.  A bit stiff but it stays put.

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2021, 07:18 pm »

Something like so? Or you talking the blue and red wire type? I do have a bunch of this from Kimber Kable. Was considering using for signal between amp and Dac I may use.

Thanks for the info! Looking at the schematic it’s hard to pick what’s what without looking at board. So, going to try and find some info on that. I sent an email over to the company that was selling them, and now long tube packages for it.. ask some basic questions. It has tubes that come with and will use for at least testing.. from that point play around.

Thanks for the great info!