Hobbs X-LS build

Danny Richie

• Facilitator
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Re: Hobbs X-LS build
« Reply #80 on: 13 Oct 2020, 01:26 pm »
In the link I posted above it gives step by step, picture by picture instructions.

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #81 on: 27 Oct 2020, 08:21 am »
Hey Hobbs
I just installed my tube connectors and they are great. I noticed improvements in clarity and the same types of things as you mentioned "Vocals have more presence & focus, you can more easily pick out smaller details, spacial cues". I now understand what Danny means by hearing the singers intake of breath before starting to sing.

2nd speaker is done, & I only have 2 words:

HOLY SH*T  :o

Theres a massive jump in clarity, detail, & depth.
It sounds that much more "REAL" & "ALIVE" than i expected. And ive gone back and forth a few times.

Vocals have more presence & focus, you can more easily pick out smaller details, spacial cues, & you can hear everything with more precision. Drums sound more life-like and snares especially stand front & center.

I expected a small difference, but it's MUCH bigger jump than I expected.. its like I mentioned in the "tube connector" thread; it's like getting a new pair of glasses after going years without getting a new prescription. The "softness" you're used to gives way to that much more clarity and focus.

I've gone back and forth several times now, & yep it's definitely there.. but the upgrade itself even made a difference to the binding posts, I'm guessing its due to having a more surface area to connect to vs bare wire??

Mind you, I still only have the stock crossover, cheap 14-gauge zip cord... They're 6" away from the wall & I'm playing CD-quality music via bluetooth...

If you're still on the fence on upgrading, GET THEM.. i 100% recommend making the jump!  :thumb:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #82 on: 28 Oct 2020, 02:48 pm »
Hey Hobbs
I just installed my tube connectors and they are great. I noticed improvements in clarity and the same types of things as you mentioned "Vocals have more presence & focus, you can more easily pick out smaller details, spacial cues". I now understand what Danny means by hearing the singers intake of breath before starting to sing.

Very nice! Im glad you were able to experience the same things i have as well! :thumb: