I bet I can make your speakers sound better.

Danny Richie

Re: I bet I can make your speakers sound better.
« Reply #240 on: 31 Jan 2020, 10:36 pm »
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167818.msg1780418#new

I've been officially referred to you, Danny.  Do you happen to know the specs for capacitors (completely unlabeled) used in Soliloquy 5.3 speakers?  Perhaps you can share a way to determine this through measurement?  Thank you.

I designed new networks for their model 63 and 8.2, but no others.

KMPLSV

« Reply #241 on: 1 Feb 2020, 10:48 am »
I sure hope so! I've been led her by my quest to find someone who still does mods for the BIC DV62si bookshelf speakers!

Rippedgeek

« Reply #242 on: 4 Feb 2020, 08:54 am »
Danny, this is all pretty new and completely fascinating to me.  I am really enjoying the New Record Day videos and am learning so much.

Have you ever worked on the Focal Aria 948 speakers?  I have a pair, and I enjoy them immensely... but you've now created an itch where there was none, and I want it scratched!

Thanks
Rip

Danny Richie

« Reply #243 on: 5 Feb 2020, 03:32 am »
Danny, this is all pretty new and completely fascinating to me.  I am really enjoying the New Record Day videos and am learning so much.

Have you ever worked on the Focal Aria 948 speakers?  I have a pair, and I enjoy them immensely... but you've now created an itch where there was none, and I want it scratched!

Thanks
Rip

I used to be a dealer for Focal drivers and I have worked on numerous models, but not that one.

I do know that they leave a lot on the table (performance wise).

Rippedgeek

« Reply #244 on: 5 Feb 2020, 06:04 am »
I expected nothing less than that.  I have searched everywhere I could think of and couldn't find any information on how to open the Aria 948's.  They are so beautifully crafted and really well put together, so I'm a little scared to try and get inside them, but I do want to send you a photo of the crossover. 

On the other hand your open baffle speakers must have some special magnets in them, because they're pulling my imagination in from across the other side of the world.  I can only imagine what it would cost to send them to New Zealand, but I'm already contemplating the sale of my Focal Aria 948's - provided your NX-Oticas or (if I win the lottery) the NX-Treme can even be shipped here.

Thanks for the response, by the way.

Riaan

Danny Richie

« Reply #245 on: 6 Feb 2020, 05:22 pm »
We can ship them to you.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #246 on: 7 Feb 2020, 01:59 am »
Danny, when can you send a pair of your speakers to Amir for a full suite of Klippel measurements with and without Tube Connectors? 

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #247 on: 7 Feb 2020, 03:41 am »
What would be the point, the flat earthers at ASR think all wire sounds the same!!

Nice try though

Don

Danny Richie

« Reply #248 on: 8 Feb 2020, 02:29 pm »
Danny, when can you send a pair of your speakers to Amir for a full suite of Klippel measurements with and without Tube Connectors?

Klippel measurements of tube connectors?  :lol:

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #249 on: 8 Feb 2020, 02:43 pm »
Hey Danny,
You recently put out a short clip discussing your new crossover kit for the Klipsch rp8000f. Would that same new kit work on the smaller 5000 model as well? Basically same speaker except with 5.25" drivers instead of 8" and slightly smaller cabinet size. I would imagine that if the 8000 model suffered from that large of crossover dysphoria issue, the smaller speaker would do the same.

-Lloyd

Danny Richie

« Reply #250 on: 8 Feb 2020, 03:14 pm »
Hey Danny,
You recently put out a short clip discussing your new crossover kit for the Klipsch rp8000f. Would that same new kit work on the smaller 5000 model as well? Basically same speaker except with 5.25" drivers instead of 8" and slightly smaller cabinet size. I would imagine that if the 8000 model suffered from that large of crossover dysphoria issue, the smaller speaker would do the same.

-Lloyd

If the drivers are different then the filters would be different as well.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #251 on: 12 Feb 2020, 07:16 pm »
Hi Danny,

Would Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary speakers be a good candidate for you to do a crossover upgrade and or re-design?  I got the idea these might be okay for a second system I'm thinking of putting together.  I was reading a Stereophile review of Schiit Aegir amps that I'm thinking of using in this system, and the reviewer said he liked the the way that amp and these speakers work together.  I take all reviews with a grain of salt, and I'm not decided on anything yet and open to all suggestions.  If I had a workshop and tools, I would most definitely want GR speakers.

Thanks,
Jeff

https://www.stereophile.com/content/wharfedale-linton-heritage-loudspeaker

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/Wharfedale-Linton-85th-Anniversary-Bookshelf-Speakers-with-Stands?variant=WWFLINTONSM&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpZOHttnM5wIVoB6tBh1CGgE6EAQYASABEgLGtfD_BwE

Danny Richie

« Reply #252 on: 12 Feb 2020, 09:52 pm »
Would Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary speakers be a good candidate for you to do a crossover upgrade and or re-design?

They might be. I wouldn't expect any top level parts in them at that price point.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #253 on: 12 Feb 2020, 10:45 pm »
Right, I would expect the crossover parts would be cheap junk almost.  Maybe the drivers even aren't worth the trouble to upgrade the crossovers?

Danny Richie

« Reply #254 on: 13 Feb 2020, 12:08 am »
Right, I would expect the crossover parts would be cheap junk almost.  Maybe the drivers even aren't worth the trouble to upgrade the crossovers?

I haven't had any over here and really couldn't tell.

Freo-1

« Reply #255 on: 13 Feb 2020, 03:12 am »
Danny,

I've had these speakers since 2013, and they sound terrific.  Having said that, am interested in what would you recommend for improvement:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=160327.0

Danny Richie

« Reply #256 on: 13 Feb 2020, 03:35 am »
Danny,

I've had these speakers since 2013, and they sound terrific.  Having said that, am interested in what would you recommend for improvement:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=160327.0

I'd have to know more about your room and application.

Freo-1

« Reply #257 on: 13 Feb 2020, 03:58 am »
Well, the room is open concept, where the living room opens into the kitchen.  It's a Florida house, so it has 10 ft ceilings. The speakers are 2 feet from a side wall, and one foot from the rear wall.  The left wall only come out about 3 feet, then opens into an entry way that is roughly six feet wide.  The floors are hardwood/tile, and has leather furniture.  Could provide dimensions/pics offline if needed.

Not quite sure about application.  They are used for music/television, and two channel home entertainment. The electronics are a pair of Devialet D-Premier integrated amps, which output 500 watts per channel @ 6 ohms.  Also occasionally use tube amps that are either 80 watts or 110 watts.

I really like these speakers, and have not felt the need to replace them.  However, given their age, if improvement can be had, I'm all in.

maty

« Reply #258 on: 13 Feb 2020, 03:18 pm »
T+A Criterion TB 160

Optimized. Click on image -> Huge

German review

http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-225-3889.html

First crossover

Second crossover

Rear. Binding posts.

Freo-1

« Reply #259 on: 13 Feb 2020, 04:29 pm »
Thanks, Maty!

Some good background information here.  The crossovers look pretty involved.
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2020, 10:27 pm by Freo-1 »