W18 - RAAL 140 - TL in cinnamon burl - SOLD

jsalk

W18 - RAAL 140 - TL in cinnamon burl - SOLD
« on: 6 Jul 2010, 04:52 pm »
SOLD

In the early months of this year, we had been getting requests to use RAAL ribbons in some of our models.  Dennis Murphy had worked on a speaker using the RAAL 140 and liked the results.  So we thought we would try a version of the HT1-TL using the 140. 

We had some very nice cinnamon burl veneer available and thought that would make a very sophisticated looking speaker.

Here are the results...

Here's a close-up...

Just after these were built, we decided to develop RAAL versions of all of our ribbon-based speakers.  But since we were using a custom RAAL tweeter in our SoundScape model, we decided to use that same version in all of our speakers (so we didn't have to stock multiple tweeters).

While this design turned out quite well, the version we will offer as a production model will have the custom RAAL. So this will be a one-of-a-kind, never-to-be-duplicated design.

They should work great for someone wanting a very rich looking speaker.  And they are available now.

We would normally price this pair at about $3500 with another $400 for the upgraded cinnamon burl veneer.  Since this is a one-of-a-kind design, we will throw in the veneer for free.

- Jim
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2010, 01:57 pm by jsalk »

Carl V

Re: W18 - RAAL 140 - TL in cinnamon burl
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2010, 10:10 pm »
Very Nice looking....is this finish similar to your
Guitar Flameburst styles of recent past.

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2010, 12:23 am »
Very Nice looking....is this finish similar to your
Guitar Flameburst styles of recent past.

Yes, it is.  We rounded over the edges with a 1" roundover.  Since we did not have cinnamon burl hardwood, we decided to just finish the edges darker rather than inserting some other type of hardwood.  I think they turned out really nice (of course, I am biased) - very rich looking.

- Jim

Rocket

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2010, 05:55 am »
Hi Jim,

Your breaking my heart! I have to stop coming to this website. 

Great looking speaker and I'm sure someone will get a great deal.

Regards

Rod

stew

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2010, 05:44 pm »
Hi Jim, Dennis,

How would you characterize the differences between the "standard" HT1-TL (which I proudly own and love) and the RAAL version? - ie, what does RAAL bring to the table?

Thanks, Stew

dakulis

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2010, 10:34 pm »
Jim,

Following up on Stew's question with a little twist.  How does the Raal 140 differ from the Raal ribbon tweeter that you folks decided to use in the ongoing speaker series?  What might I hear differently and what does the new ribbon tweeter do better?  Or worse?  Thanks, Dave

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2010, 04:01 pm »
Jim,

Following up on Stew's question with a little twist.  How does the Raal 140 differ from the Raal ribbon tweeter that you folks decided to use in the ongoing speaker series?  What might I hear differently and what does the new ribbon tweeter do better?  Or worse?  Thanks, Dave

Comparing tweeters, especially two RAAL tweeters, is highly subjective.  But I will try and provide a sense of the differences.

Before I begin, however, I would like to point out that the G2 and LCY tweeters are both very good and we still regard them highly. Also note, here, that what we are talking about is rather subtle.  The differences between these tweeters is less than the differences between traditional dome tweeters and ribbons. That said, no driver is perfect, so here is how I would compare the differences between the G2/LCY tweeters and the RAAL tweeters.

First, when comparing either RAAL model (the 140-15D and our custom RAAL) with the LCY or G2, your initial impression may be that something is missing.  With the G2 or the LCY, you get a sense of extreme transparency.  I recall the first time I heard the G2, I said "wow!"  With the RAAL, that "wow" factor is not as prevalent.  But the more you listen, the more you realize that all the top end musical detail is there in spades.  There is nothing missing and they are extremely transparent.

With the G2 and LCY, you hear slightly more energy in the 8Khz - 10 Khz range ("ssssssssssssssss").  That energy provides a sense of top end air and detail.  You do not get that same sense with RAAL tweeters, although all the musical detail is there.

With the RAAL tweeters, their strength is not in what you hear, but what you don't hear.  You don't hear what you shouldn't hear.  (You do hear what you should hear.)  They completely get out of the way of the music and let it all shine through.  And they do so without calling attention to themselves.  All you hear is very smooth and accurate top end detail - nothing more, nothing less.

As indicated above, your first impression may be that something is missing (compared to the LCY or G2).  But as you listen more, you gain an appreciation for lower levels of distortion (the slight distortion that contributes to the sound of the LCY or G2).  You soon realize that the RAAL is a smoother, more accurate and lower distortion tweeter.  It is simply more refined.

As to the various RAAL tweeters, both the 140-15D and our custom RAAL can be crossed relatively low (lower than the 70-10D).  On axis, they sound pretty much the same.  The main difference is in the area of vertical dispersion.  Due to the shorter ribbon element, the dispersion of our custom RAAL tweeter is superior.  For many applications, the 140 is just fine.  But the custom RAAL is superior in this area and that is why we chose to use it exclusively.

I hope this helps.

- Jim

cstory

• Seaching for clues
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jul 2010, 06:49 pm »
I like Jim's description of what is missing with the RAAL tweeters. (I have had a pair of Selah Granduer's for nearly a year)

When I read audio magazines I would notice writers would use the term grain or lack of grain somethimes when describing tweeters. I never understood what they were referring to until I listened to the RAAL tweeters, and finally heard the absence of grain. It was only when I heard the absense of grain that I understood what they meant.

It is high frequencies without effort, and very natural. Its the metal pieces of a tamborine sounding exactly like they should, and not with the added ssshhhh sound that some tweeters add.

They may not impress on first hearing, in fact they might even sound dull, but eventually you may come to feel that they just sound right.

Chuck

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jul 2010, 07:23 pm »
I like Jim's description of what is missing with the RAAL tweeters. (I have had a pair of Selah Granduer's for nearly a year)

When I read audio magazines I would notice writers would use the term grain or lack of grain somethimes when describing tweeters. I never understood what they were referring to until I listened to the RAAL tweeters, and finally heard the absence of grain. It was only when I heard the absense of grain that I understood what they meant.

It is high frequencies without effort, and very natural. Its the metal pieces of a tamborine sounding exactly like they should, and not with the added ssshhhh sound that some tweeters add.

They may not impress on first hearing, in fact they might even sound dull, but eventually you may come to feel that they just sound right.

Chuck

Agreed.  The only thing I would change is your last statement.  You WILL come to realize they sound just right.

- Jim

stew

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2010, 04:48 am »
Hi Jim,

And how much is it to upgrade an existing HT1-TL to the RAAL tweeter?  :duh:

Just curious.... and I didn't find any prices listed on your website.

Thanks, Stew

jsalk

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2010, 01:59 pm »
Hi Jim,

And how much is it to upgrade an existing HT1-TL to the RAAL tweeter?  :duh:

Just curious.... and I didn't find any prices listed on your website.

Thanks, Stew

Well, it certainly is possible to upgrade older HT1's, but it wouldn't be all that cost-effective.

First, the cabinets would have to be re-routed to accomodate the tweeter.  And after re-routing everything, they would probably need to be re-finished as well.  Then, there is the cost of the RAAL tweeters and new crossovers.  So we never costed it out as we didn't think it would be practical.  We would be glad to price it out, but my guess is that the upgrade would cost at least half of what the original speakers cost.  If I were faced with the decision, I would keep what I have.  The original G2 tweeter is quite good and I don't see that much advantage in upgrading.

That said, we would be happy to do it if someone wanted it done.

- Jim

jd3s wife

Re: W18 - RAAL 140 - TL in cinnamon burl - SOLD
« Reply #11 on: 2 Oct 2010, 09:54 pm »
 Liked these alot when I saw them at AKFest, love them sitting in our living room!  WOW are they gorgeous!   :inlove: