What to upgrade first!!!

mmalkie

What to upgrade first!!!
« on: 24 Nov 2020, 03:39 pm »
I have a 4B ST in mint condition that is probably one of the latest models made as it still is under warranty until April 2022.
Due to budget, I have to choose to upgrade either the pre-amp or Amp first. I am interested in the BP-173 pre and 4B3. Which one would be suggested first?

Ron D

Re: What to upgrade first!!!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2020, 06:20 pm »
Knowing what preamp you have at the present time would help....

mmalkie

« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2020, 07:28 pm »
It's just a Emotiva PT-100 for now. Actually quite surprising for the price as it was a temporary fix. Very quiet noise floor! It's really good for a medium quality piece

veloceleste

« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2020, 07:59 pm »
Preamp. Everything downstream reproduces what it gets from the component before which equates to better signal in, better signal out.

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2020, 08:49 pm »
The BP17c Preamp!
 The Preamp is the "guts" of your system, and having the best possible output to drive your amplifier will help a lot.
Been there, Done that, Got the  T-shirt.   Love my 17c !!

mmalkie

« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2020, 09:31 pm »
Thank you. That's what I thought. I

gbaby

« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2020, 05:22 pm »
Pre-amp first, no doubt.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #7 on: 26 Nov 2020, 04:19 am »
Not to sound like a broken record, but ... preamp first.

Or the new BR-20 :)

Markwatkiss

« Reply #8 on: 26 Nov 2020, 01:39 pm »
Make that a tube pre amp.Bryston amps tend to sound very linear a competent tube pre will resolve that.
Audio Research is a seamless match.

mmalkie

« Reply #9 on: 26 Nov 2020, 03:15 pm »
Thanks but I'll stick to bryston only. I am not fond
 of tubes

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #10 on: 26 Nov 2020, 04:44 pm »
This may sound odd, but have you upgraded your AC recepticles?  There are many to chose from, but I think best bang for the buck comes from Pi Audio Group.  Getting a solid connection through good materials can make a very real sound improvement for under $100.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #11 on: 27 Nov 2020, 01:19 pm »
AC receptacles?  Unless there is some obvious need, receptacles are far down the list. And then the receptacles would come from an industrial/commercial/hospital manufacture.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #12 on: 27 Nov 2020, 01:44 pm »
AC receptacles?  Unless there is some obvious need, receptacles are far down the list. And then the receptacles would come from an industrial/commercial/hospital manufacture.
We simply disagree.  I don't think there is a greater bang for the buck improvement in decent system.  And a receptacle from, say Pi Audio Group, has been polished, parts replaced, cryo-ed, and much different sounding than the basic hardware store hospital receptacle.  At least that's my experience, yours may differ. 

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #13 on: 27 Nov 2020, 02:24 pm »
I own 17 Furutech $200 to $275 a pop receptacles. but totally agree with Speedskater that an expensive receptacle is far down on the list of things to worry about.. for someone just wanting a better amp or preamp. I used a bunch of $7 Pass & Seymour heavy duty receptacles for many years and was totally satisfied with them(and would say I doubt I would have heard the difference to the Furutech without having upgraded from Magnepan 3.6 to Magnepan 20.7 ($14K) speakers and had 10K in IC to go with the system. Even just cleaning the contacts and wires to your AC receptacle can seem amazing if they were bad)

Go with the Bryston Preamp as the next upgrade.

I own a lot of preamps, the Bryston BP-26 is still my primary preamp.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #14 on: 28 Nov 2020, 12:36 pm »
Never ever 'cryo' anything in the AC power system!  Each 'UL' listed item has a minimum permitted storage temperature. So 'cryo-ing' will invalidate the safety listing. And there is a good chance that it will damage the insulation and plastic parts.