Help Guidance suggestion in 2 way 18"OB config

Anand

Help Guidance suggestion in 2 way 18"OB config
« on: 21 Apr 2022, 03:01 pm »
Hello Friends

I have a pair of SB Acoustics SB Audience BIANCO-18SW450 18" Subwoofer and Pair of Tang Band W8-1808. I have no knowledge of simulation software please can someone guide me what size OB can I make. I have a carpenter who can do all my cutting. Also have miniDSP 2x4HD I have no talent to make passive crossover can only buy the components and get it soldered but can't design a crossover.

My listen to variety of music Pop Rock I have not had great experience with money for nothing and Micheal Jackson songs on many speakers I heard.

I want to feel the punch in my chest and I sit approx 8 ft from the speakers. Oh on amp I have Hypex Ncore modules 100 watts and 500 watts stereo.

regrads
anand

richidoo

Re: Help Guidance suggestion in 2 way 18"OB config
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2022, 06:01 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Anand!

If I was designing a speaker to use your parts my thinking would go like this:

Good drivers and electronics! You can make a fine speaker with those! The 18" woofer can provide enough punch if you feed it enough power. It has Qts of .38 so it has good self damping properties for tight bass. You will have to apply a lot of boost to it with the DSP, but it can handle the power and the 500W hypex is capable. Use a test signal and SPL meter on smart phone to apply bass boost as desired.

I would use a 24 x 48" plywood baffle. Put the woofer on center, so that the bottom edge is 1" away from floor. Put the TB at 40" above the floor (ear height) and center of hole is at 1/3 of baffle width (not centered) for flatter frequency response.
Apply some kind of bracing or damping strategy to prevent baffle vibration which colors the sound.
Tilt the baffle back so the beaming treble from the TB will shoot over your head.

Use 24dB/octave crossover filters at 150Hz to start. Adjust this xo frequency to adjust the "thickness" sound in the midbass to your liking.

There's lots of good help here so bring all your questions as you go along.

Anand

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2022, 08:00 am »
Thank You for the detailed reply really helps me,  will do as you say. Will come back as I build.
Cheers

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2022, 02:52 pm »
This is why I love AC - so many kind and helpful people.