What tubes do you plan to use in your DHT?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
What tubes do you plan to use in your DHT?
« on: 24 May 2016, 02:50 pm »
Are you sticking with the stock 2A3 tubes?

If not, what type and brand are you thinking of using?

Based on what I heard in my system last night, I really liked the SV 811's that Vinnie used at Axpona.

Will need to do some more research on other options.

George

BobRex

Re: What tubes do you plan to use in your DHT?
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2016, 03:18 pm »
I'm used to the 2A3 sound, and I have a pair of Shuggie Treasures that I'm going to try.  I was waiting for Vinnie to post some reviews, but I've also thought about the 811s.  I'm also considering 45 mesh plates, since (at least as output tubes) they tend to be more linear than the 2A3s (which are in turn more linear than 300Bs.)

olegausany

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2016, 04:52 pm »
Can someone post a link to a reputable seller who sells SV811's Vinnie used at Axpona?

Thanks,
Oleg

SteveKi

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2016, 04:57 pm »
Does the SV mean that they were Svetlana tubes?
Steve

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

olegausany

« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2016, 05:04 pm »
Yup.
Very confusing, is it price per tube or for 4 tubes?

schw06

« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2016, 05:11 pm »
Very confusing, is it price per tube or for 4 tubes?
It's for a quartet-4 tubes

Vinnie R.

« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2016, 05:17 pm »
Hi jtwrace,

Yes - those are the tubes (SV811-10).

I picked up a small stash of them (directly from Svetlana's remaining factory stash, which is getting very low now and probably will be gone soon  :o) and will need to get around to testing them, matching them, etc.

The included Electro Harmonics 2A3 "gold grid" tubes are super linear, super quiet and deliver a very wide bandwidth out to around 500kHz in the LIO DHT PRE circuit.  And they are new production, so I decided that these would be the "stock" tubes and bought a bunch of matched pairs to include with DHT PRE.

When I get time, I will be posting about the various tubes that I have tried with LIO DHT PRE so far.  I think there are a least 10 different ones so far, and I am getting more (new production, and NOS) soon.

Vinnie

OzarkTom

« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2016, 05:19 pm »
Here is a site you can buy one at a time.

http://www.nosvacuumtubes.net/product/svetlana-sv811-10/

Vinnie R.

« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2016, 05:31 pm »
Here is a site you can buy one at a time.

http://www.nosvacuumtubes.net/product/svetlana-sv811-10/

I'll be selling a few pair of those as well, but not until I test each one and match them.  My guess is that I'll be
selling for approx. $250 for the tested / matched pair. 

In the meantime, you probably can get better pricing online (but I've done this and found some companies have a different
"definition" of what a matched pair or matched quad is.  :?   I like to see them within 0.5dB or better from each other.  And some were too noisy).  So part of what I have to do is reject the ones that are not up to snuff, so rejecting tubes also brings up the cost because
I can't sell out-of-spec tubes).  And in the linestage like DHT PRE, you need the best you can get because it is super sensitive to
sub par tubes!  :nono:   

- Vinnie

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2016, 06:34 pm »
I'll be selling a few pair of those as well, but not until I test each one and match them.  My guess is that I'll be
selling for approx. $250 for the tested / matched pair. 

In the meantime, you probably can get better pricing online (but I've done this and found some companies have a different
"definition" of what a matched pair or matched quad is.  :?   I like to see them within 0.5dB or better from each other.  And some were too noisy).  So part of what I have to do is reject the ones that are not up to snuff, so rejecting tubes also brings up the cost because
I can't sell out-of-spec tubes).  And in the linestage like DHT PRE, you need the best you can get because it is super sensitive to
sub par tubes!  :nono:   

- Vinnie
Good to know.  Perhaps you can offer tubes to your DHT owners.   :green:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2016, 02:09 am »
When I get time, I will be posting about the various tubes that I have tried with LIO DHT PRE so far.  I think there are a least 10 different ones so far, and I am getting more (new production, and NOS) soon.

Vinnie
I look forward to this as I'm already looking and hate to tube roll.  Just tell me what to buy!   :lol:

OzarkTom

« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2016, 02:34 am »
I look forward to this as I'm already looking and hate to tube roll.  Just tell me what to buy!   :lol:

:scratch:

No mo Ncos?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #14 on: 25 May 2016, 02:50 am »

Start out with the stock 2A3 Gold Grid.  It's very quiet, very linear, awesome bandwidth, and a great starting point.
It also helps that they are in production and easy enough to obtain:

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/2A3-Tube-Types/Electro-Harmonix-2A3-EH-Gold-Grid

You won't be disappointed with this tube...

Vinnie

yardbird4

« Reply #15 on: 27 May 2016, 03:24 pm »
Does the SV mean that they were Svetlana tubes?
Steve

I am a newbie to the "Tube Life" having started with the AVC/Tube Stage.  Not surprisingly, I have now ordered the DHT Pre.  So I have been searching around  and comparing tube prices.  I found this site; http://www.hi-endstore.com/Svetlana.html.  They have the SV 811-10 and other relevant DHT compatible tubes at what appear to be good prices.  I have to leave it to others on this site to comment on the quality or reliability of the Hi-End Store since because, as I mentioned earlier, I am a tube novice.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 27 May 2016, 04:16 pm »
I am a newbie to the "Tube Life" having started with the AVC/Tube Stage.  Not surprisingly, I have now ordered the DHT Pre.  So I have been searching around  and comparing tube prices.  I found this site; http://www.hi-endstore.com/Svetlana.html.  They have the SV 811-10 and other relevant DHT compatible tubes at what appear to be good prices.  I have to leave it to others on this site to comment on the quality or reliability of the Hi-End Store since because, as I mentioned earlier, I am a tube novice.
That is a good price.  I've sent an email to someone I know that lives there to see if he knows them.

yardbird4

« Reply #17 on: 27 May 2016, 04:27 pm »
Great.  Let us know what you find out.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 27 May 2016, 04:33 pm »
Great.  Let us know what you find out.
I sent them an email too and it was kicked back.   :scratch:

yardbird4

« Reply #19 on: 28 May 2016, 04:46 pm »
I sent them an email too and it was kicked back.   :scratch:
Not a great sign.