Bookshelf speakers recommendation

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Bookshelf speakers recommendation
« Reply #20 on: 8 Apr 2019, 01:31 pm »
I would second the Ascend 170's.  Surprisingly good for the price.  They image well and don't suffer from the lack of fullness of many others but at the same time don't sound 'chesty'.

ricmon

« Reply #21 on: 8 Apr 2019, 06:49 pm »

Freo-1

« Reply #22 on: 8 Apr 2019, 07:53 pm »

Sparky14

« Reply #23 on: 8 Apr 2019, 08:16 pm »
A few months ago I picked up a pair of Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers for < $300 shipped. Sonically and visually impressive. Not too easy to find, but worthy of consideration if you do find some available.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #24 on: 13 Apr 2019, 12:07 pm »
Elac B6 2.0 is probably worth looking into.

I’ve also read good things about the Q Acoustics 3020i (like the Elac, also a newly updated version of an already great bang for buck bookshelf)

artur9

« Reply #25 on: 13 Apr 2019, 12:45 pm »
I’ve also read good things about the Q Acoustics 3020i (like the Elac, also a newly updated version of an already great bang for buck bookshelf)

When I was looking a little while ago I couldn't find any 3020i for sale, only the 3040i I think.  On their website it says out of stock:
https://www.qacoustics.com/3020i-bookshelf-speakers-pair-qed-xt25-speaker-cable-2m-6-5ft-pair.html

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #26 on: 13 Apr 2019, 08:53 pm »
Amazon has them in stock

Q Acoustics 3020i Bookshelf Speaker Pair (Graphite Grey) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C4V26N1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7UKSCb1JCSF0R

meathead18

« Reply #27 on: 14 Apr 2019, 01:10 am »
Haven’t heard the new Kiplsch RP600m’s but I highly recommend the previous version of that series, the RP150M. I owned them for almost 2 years and they sounded great with a wide variety of amps. They are not bright, the bass and midrange are very good and they’re very dynamic. I liked the 150m better then the 160m. The 150m was Warmer sounding. They imaged well too. Klipsch really did a great job with that reference premiere series.

Mudslide

« Reply #28 on: 14 Apr 2019, 04:10 am »
Since your friend likes to rock, I'd suggest something similal to the Dynaudio Audience bookshelves. These are a bit out of his price range. You might get lucky and find some in the $300 - $350 range if you look long enough....but fret not....I've got an alternative.

The Aperion Audio speakers are remarkably similar sounding to Dyn's. I've got several pairs that I use(d) for home theater and music duties. I've got the 632 LRs and for a bookshelf, they rock really well. I turned on a buddy to them and he set us a system with the 532's and they are 95% as good.

eBay has a pair for $179. That's a sreamin' deal. If I were looking for something similar and knowing the quality of sound,  I'd jump on those in a heartbeat.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aperion-Audio-532-LR-2-way-Bookshelf-speaker-Pair-L-R-Speakers-black/323763949177?hash=item4b61d5ce79:g:coIAAOSwn6dbZlPv

Here's an article I wrote about the 632s eons ago...http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0307/aperion_audio_632lr_634vac.htm

Oh, don't worry about the rear port. You can use a port plug or an old sock. Then again, if he's a rocker, he'll (probably) like the extra bass. Honestly, you won't find anything (much) better sounding for the money.

I'll second the Aperion recommendation.  I've heard a few of their bookshelf speaker models and they pretty easily outperformed their pricing.  (But the ERA D5s might just be a tad richer.)

FireGuy

« Reply #29 on: 14 Apr 2019, 12:06 pm »
I'll second the Aperion recommendation.  I've heard a few of their bookshelf speaker models and they pretty easily outperformed their pricing.  (But the ERA D5s might just be a tad richer.)

You've got my endorsement too on Aperion.  Although I've not heard any of their bookshelf models I do have the 5C and 4C centers.  Performance and build quality is ridiculously good for the price.

Open box pair of 5B's for a sneeze over the $300. 

https://www.aperionaudio.com/collections/open-box-closeout-speakers

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
  • VPE Aerospace Consulting, LLC - LDW Model 1
« Reply #30 on: 22 May 2019, 04:25 am »
The ELAC's are a good buy for the $$$.  Andrew Jones is an excellent designer.

I am a fan of the older BBC monitors.  You'll pay an arm and a leg for a decent pair of LS3/5a's no matter who made them, and they are light on bass.  A better bet is a pair of Spendor 3-way's with that magical 8" woofer.  The Spendor BC1's or SP1's are great - I love my pair.  The BC1's are prone to bextrene woofer issues at their age, but they can be re-coned.  The SP-1's use polypropylene in their woofers and will last forever if not abused.  Spend some time on Audio Mart (US or Canada), or Audiogon and they pop up every month of so.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #31 on: 22 May 2019, 05:14 am »
A better bet is a pair of Spendor 3-way's with that magical 8" woofer.  The Spendor BC1's or SP1's are great - I love my pair.  The BC1's are prone to bextrene woofer issues at their age, but they can be re-coned. 

I'd be concerned that re-coning the 8" woofer would change the sonic signature such that the result would no longer sound much like the original, since this driver's response in the BC1 extends to 3 kHz and would be responsible for the lion's share of the voicing—that is unless the cone and surround are pretty much identical to the original in performance characteristic.