I Just bought a mid-line VAC used from USA .. NEED AN AMP NOW ??

2bigears

:D hello good AC peeps. I sent an offer on a MF 800 integrated.  Is a guy crazy as this old design is stereo only with no outside system hook-ups.  Does anyone have experience with this old girl amp ?  I do think MF make good gear .  But the paradox of choice these days ya never know if your doing the right thing. One box is so dam convenient.  :D

« Last Edit: 5 Apr 2021, 10:20 pm by 2bigears »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: I offered 65 Hun for a MF 800. No go !
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2021, 01:47 am »
I’ll take the bait. I haven’t a clue what amp you’re describing. Never mind. I figured it out. Disregard my post.

GregC

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2021, 02:23 am »
I owned an A308 a long time ago and replaced it with an A5 that I kept until a couple years ago when I sold my secondary system.  I was happy with them. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2021, 03:15 am »
This MF800 is a tube amp ?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2021, 03:48 am »
Hybrid

Mike B.

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2021, 04:28 pm »
Win some, lose some 8)

dflee

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2021, 06:02 pm »
What year model?
It's half of a new one so the guy must think he's got something special.
In which case why sell. Bet he's one of those used dealers and probably hasn't even heard it.
Check out Upscale Audio. Got a couple at 71 Hun refurbished.

Don

2bigears

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2021, 06:41 pm »
 :D thanks all. It uses those little vista tubes. Good for 10,000 hrs. It's a few years old. I do like 300 wpc and one big box. It's a split design. Maybe he will come around.  It's a good offer.  :D

sunnydaze

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2021, 10:34 pm »
According to Hifishark.com history, in the past 4 years there have been approx. 20 of those amps with ask prices below what you offered.  Several were priced much less.  So your offer is more than fine.

If I were you I wouldn't budge.  Matter of fact, I'd probably reduce my offer.   Let him take the loss, not you.  Unless of course you just gotta have it, and are willing to assume that risk.

Guy must think he has gold.   Love sellers that are out of touch with reality.   :roll:

2bigears

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2021, 11:02 pm »
 :D well thanks for that info.  I am in Canada but so what. It's true you start hi and work low.  I think my offer was spot on. But if he paid 12,000.00 or the likes,, he want some back. I'm to lazy for a two piece amp and a one or two piece pre. Just give me one box so I can call it a day. I had a 750KW and liked it much. The VAC pre helped it out I bet. 4 boxes in all. To much.   :D

sunnydaze

« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2021, 11:14 pm »
Doesn't matter what he paid.  It's irrelevant.  All that matters is the market right now.

Seller does not determine the price.  Buyers do -- it's what they are willing to pay at any given time.

History on hifishark.com gives a good indication of used market prices.  Although not perfect because it only shows ask prices not txn prices, it is the best we have.  Additionally, it's pretty safe to assume the txn price is typically below the ask price, so deals are being done even below prices you see there.   HFS includes canadian transactions from CAM, so it's representative.

I sure hope you didn't mean that you as a buyer start high and work low!  That would be very bad business!    :lol:

PMAT

« Reply #11 on: 30 Mar 2021, 12:35 am »
It’s easy to assume the seller is a bad dog. In fact he may be a dog turd. But maybe not. If it were me I would explain the available information on selling prices In a friendly way and give the guy a chance to figure it out. It’s easy to be proud of a nice piece like that. Often people will start high because it’s in their safe zone. No one wants to be taken to the cleaners and he’s probably not and unreasonable person. Who knows, it may work out just great. Never assume. Good luck on this purchase.

sunnydaze

« Reply #12 on: 30 Mar 2021, 12:49 am »
It’s easy to assume the seller is a bad dog. In fact he may be a dog turd. But maybe not. If it were me I would explain the available information on selling prices In a friendly way and give the guy a chance to figure it out. It’s easy to be proud of a nice piece like that. Often people will start high because it’s in their safe zone. No one wants to be taken to the cleaners and he’s probably not and unreasonable person. Who knows, it may work out just great. Never assume. Good luck on this purchase.

That is exactly what I have done a few times in the past.   I respectfully provided documentation to the seller showing that his price is high, and that my offer is fair.  Sometimes they are just not aware of the correct level.  Beats me why with all the info readily available.   :dunno:

In any case, this approach has worked for me a few times.  Once informed, the seller agreed to my offer and we transacted.

The other thing is....
The seller may know the correct value, but he is hoping to snag an uninformed buyer.  Doesn't hurt to try to ask a bit high, then come down if a sucker is not found.    :lol:

Ron D

« Reply #13 on: 30 Mar 2021, 01:13 am »
Did you see the same unit being sold in Quebec for $5K? Can't speak to the validity of that particular site site or seller but that might give you some leverage against the 2 sellers on Canuck which I assume 1 of which is the seller you made the offer to?

Bemopti123

« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2021, 01:54 am »
There are many unrealistic sellers who believe that their's is the only item available...of course, it will flounder in the marker as potential buyers will walk away to other pastures.  It seems to me that just some very well priced or highly sought items are the only ones being sold.  The amount of money you are offering for an expensive piece might seem to be well below what the seller believes should be a respectable price...but a someone else has stated, while there are other units available in the market, it is the seller's prerogative to sell at the price being offered.  Remember people, when it comes to a transaction, unless the seller is in dire straits, a transaction required the intersection of what the owner believes the unit should fetch as well as what the potential buyer is willing to pay or not pay.  Never underestimate the power of "pride" in any sense, be it the pride that the seller has in selling the unit at a specified price and the "pride" of the purchaser buying the unit at a great price.   :thumb:

2bigears

« Reply #15 on: 30 Mar 2021, 02:10 am »
 :D I was going to give him my Anthem 225 plus 6500.00 ,, but sometimes a guy just can't be bothered. I do think it was a great offer. We are all different. Just can't let emotions fog us up.  :D

sunnydaze

« Reply #16 on: 30 Mar 2021, 03:52 am »
I just realized OP offered CAD 6500.  Correct?

That's about USD 5200.   That slightly changes my analysis since it's USD 1300 less than I orig thought.

But the OP cash offer is still at, or a few hundred above, several (half dozen?)  historical asking prices I see on Hifishark the past 2 years.  For example, The Music Room -- a reputable dealer -- had one up FS in summer 2019 with asking price usd 4100.  And it took 6 mos to sell!

The amp the OP is including adds approx another usd 800.  So total value of cash + amp is approx USD 6000.  More than fair IMO.  Again, based on history.  But seller may not want the Anthem.

2bigears

:D Bought a vac Ren mk2 pre today,, good lord.  Need an amp. Still thinking on the 250.5 Pass Labs .   Always thought the phono was great on the VAC.  It's still in the USA,, should one send it to the VAC shop for a tune-up or just bring it across the border ??  My very last pre i ever buy.  Done.   :D