Okay all of you nay sayers, flat Earthers, etc.

teros1

• Take control, use DSP
    • Bay Area Audiophile Society
Speakers arrived in Bay Area
« Reply #120 on: 18 Nov 2010, 07:55 am »
Bay Area Audiophile Society (BAAS) members will start listening sessions this weekend. We'll have a relatively large group on 11/27.

If you are in the Bay Area and want to hear them, contact me at bob[at]logictrust[.]com.

I'll try to keep this forum appraised of results. More might be available on our website our its forums (baasnotes[dot]com).

Bob

Zerogravity

Re: Okay all of you nay sayers, flat Earthers, etc.
« Reply #121 on: 18 Nov 2010, 03:23 pm »
Oh Gawd! This is getting all too serious. I'll add another passage: it's not what enters into a man or what he speaks that causes sin, but rather what comes out of him and that which dwells in the heart! Danny improved upon something that benefits whomever might want to hear for themselves or have and interest in this particular model All kidding of  Art, subjective, ear candy, you hear tomato I hear tamoto aside.  Thank You Danny for sharing your amazing talents and still keeping it affordable! You could easily ignore us and reap huge profits for yourself, yet you still contribute! It is appreciated!

teros1

• Take control, use DSP
« Reply #122 on: 18 Nov 2010, 05:25 pm »
I'm Listening to the GRR Behringer monitors as we speak. Pretty interesting.

Bottom line: decent with small acoustic, OK with Springsteen, not so much with Mahler 6. (All listening with Danny's xover so far.)

In any case, if you're in the Bay Area let me know if/when you'd like to listen. I'm in Santa Clara.

A few people are coming over noon on the 27th.

I've got several other speakers laying around for comparison, all with digital crossovers.

Come to think of it, I may actively cross a pair of these Behringers some day....

Bob

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #123 on: 18 Nov 2010, 05:31 pm »
Try the other xover and report back.   :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #124 on: 18 Nov 2010, 05:38 pm »
Just be sure that when you switch them out to un-plug one set of binding post and then plug in the other. Don't plug them both in at the same time.

Also, I am not promoting these speakers or advertising an upgraded crossover for them. These speakers was just a good platform for comparing the differences of stock verses upgraded crossover parts.

sts9fan

« Reply #125 on: 19 Nov 2010, 07:23 pm »
Bottom line: decent with small acoustic, OK with Springsteen, not so much with Mahler 6. (All listening with Danny's xover so far.)

Intersting.  One would think you would start with the stock crossover.  Mmmmmmmm

"Mario, what do you get when you cross an insomniac, an unwilling agnostic and a dyslexic?"

"I give."

"You get someone who stays up all night torturing himself mentally over the question of whether or not there's a dog."
— David Foster Wallace (Infinite Jest)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #126 on: 19 Nov 2010, 07:35 pm »
Intersting.  One would think you would start with the stock crossover.  Mmmmmmmm

I agree.  What would've been really neat is if the crossover wasn't marked.  It was just A / B.  Then no one would know which is which.  That would've been really good...

Yes, then sealed with "special" screws. 

sts9fan

« Reply #127 on: 19 Nov 2010, 07:42 pm »
Oh Jason.  You know that would never happen but its a great idea.  Tests without bias are scary.
I think it would be nice to give these unknown listeners a questionnaire before the listen.

Do you think Caps make a difference 1 to 10
Do you think Cables make a difference 1 to 10
etc etc.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #128 on: 19 Nov 2010, 07:49 pm »
Oh Jason.  You know that would never happen but its a great idea.  Tests without bias are scary.

I think it would be nice to give these unknown listeners a questionnaire before the listen.

Do you think Caps make a difference 1 to 10
Do you think Cables make a difference 1 to 10
etc etc.

After I posted my previous post I thought the same thing.  It would be really neat if it was done like that. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #129 on: 19 Nov 2010, 07:52 pm »
It is actually easier to hear the differences if you start with the upgraded crossover. Then when you switch them, it is real easy to miss all of the things that you were hearing before. It's one of those "wow what happened to everything" deals.

The other way around takes a little longer to process all of the new details and differences because you are hearing new things.

And if one guy is doing the switching and everyone else is listening then the listeners have no idea which is which.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #130 on: 19 Nov 2010, 07:54 pm »
And if one guy is doing the switching and everyone else is listening then the listeners have no idea which is which.

In theory but I have no doubt that the wiring guy will be like "This is the hot rod GR Research xover that was custom made"  "That Danny is a hell of a guy for doing this!!!"

:oops:  Forgot to tell you all...
EDIT: "We'll start with the GR Research xover first."   :thumb:

Please be sure to put your boners away after hearing this first xover.   :lol:

sts9fan

« Reply #131 on: 19 Nov 2010, 07:58 pm »
Is that going to happen?  Will everyone know which is which?  So are you saying based on your last post IF they start with the stock you would understand people prefering the first?  Are any AC regulars going to be at this meeting or just folks with <20 posts?

Danny Richie

« Reply #132 on: 19 Nov 2010, 08:07 pm »
Is that going to happen?  Will everyone know which is which?  So are you saying based on your last post IF they start with the stock you would understand people prefering the first?  Are any AC regulars going to be at this meeting or just folks with <20 posts?

I doubt if anyone will know which is which unless they are told. At least to start with. The differences are pretty apparent regardless of which they start with, but it is always quicker to tell when you take stuff away verses giving more good.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #133 on: 19 Nov 2010, 10:38 pm »

I don't believe the reason that this was done was to showcase a new product  for upgrading the Beringer speakers.  I think the project was done to credibly demonstrate the difference between a standard Xover and an upgraded Xover of the same electronic values. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #134 on: 19 Nov 2010, 11:00 pm »
I don't believe the reason that this was done was to showcase a new product  for upgrading the Beringer speakers.  I think the project was done to credibly demonstrate the difference between a standard Xover and an upgraded Xover of the same electronic values.

Yep, you got it!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #135 on: 19 Nov 2010, 11:15 pm »
Knowing Danny as well as I do and about the workload that he has I'm sure that coming out with a crossover upgrade for a cheapie Behringer is the last thing on his mind.  It is as you said: done in the interest of advancing the art as well as the science of speaker design and building.

I'm noting with great interest as to how this thread is being set up for cries of "foul" before anything transpires.  Maybe that should read: "Fowl."    :dunno:

Dave

ebag4

« Reply #136 on: 19 Nov 2010, 11:39 pm »
I'm noting with great interest as to how this thread is being set up for cries of "foul" before anything transpires.
X2

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #137 on: 20 Nov 2010, 01:23 am »
Same old same old......by the same olds.....

teros1

• Take control, use DSP
How to begin
« Reply #138 on: 20 Nov 2010, 08:19 am »
It is actually easier to hear the differences if you start with the upgraded crossover. Then when you switch them, it is real easy to miss all of the things that you were hearing before. It's one of those "wow what happened to everything" deals.

That has been my experience as well.

I'll try to begin the comparative listening this weekend.

Sorry about the delay, but there's a lot going on. For example, our group (BAAS) will be listening to The Tape Project material all day tomorrow in Paul Stubblebine's studio.

I may do some single-blind testing in one or two of our groups.

Bob

teros1

• Take control, use DSP
« Reply #139 on: 20 Nov 2010, 08:23 am »
...or just folks with <20 posts?

That's funny. If you doubt my qualifications or experience, check out the blog that I write - baasnotes(dot)com - and its forums. Or talk to any of BAAS' 300 members.

Bob