Show Us Your Core-NCore!

srb

Re: Show Us Your Core-NCore!
« Reply #160 on: 6 Jul 2012, 05:20 pm »
It's wonderful pointing fingers while you are parked right in front a keyboard isn't it?

I'm sure both of you have absolutely pristine diy creations.

No "pointing of fingers".  In response to a post that said 'why spend money on fancy faceplates?', I was merely saying I would pay for a machined front panel that was more subdued, otherwise I would prefer a plain front panel.

Some people like rather busy burled bookmatched mirror image veneers while others prefer more subtle straight grains with a bit of figuring.  Different strokes for different folks.

Steve

mr_bill

« Reply #161 on: 6 Jul 2012, 05:38 pm »
I would pay for faceplate engraving on my silver face plates if anyone has the ability.  Smaller logo would be much better for me.

OzarkTom

« Reply #162 on: 7 Jul 2012, 03:17 am »
 :thumb:

A pair of those beautiful Ncore faceplates showed up at my door step today. They look much, much nicer in person than what the pics show.

As a former machinist, I can really appreciate the quality. Now I must buy a pair of the Ncore amps just to show off those exceptional faceplates.

jmbulg

« Reply #163 on: 13 Jul 2012, 08:06 am »

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #164 on: 13 Jul 2012, 12:24 pm »
 :o Suhweet! Now that's unique!

Great work,

Anand.

TomS

« Reply #165 on: 13 Jul 2012, 12:38 pm »
Wow, great creativity and execution  :thumb:

HT cOz

« Reply #166 on: 13 Jul 2012, 01:16 pm »

OzarkTom

« Reply #167 on: 13 Jul 2012, 01:27 pm »
Whoa! Rock and Roll! :thumb:

PeteG

« Reply #168 on: 13 Jul 2012, 01:37 pm »
Yes very cool, looks like you have the sides open for the PS for air flow.

jmbulg

« Reply #169 on: 13 Jul 2012, 01:59 pm »
Yes very cool, looks like you have the sides open for the PS for air flow.
yes, SMPS is in the rectangular box which is "open" below and above (in fact a metallic grid in black is there to avoid putting your fingers into the box) and the ncore is in the tube, "open" at one end where you see the red led glow across the heatsink. The heatsink on the other side is just a heatsink fixed on the aluminium plate.

kevinh

« Reply #170 on: 13 Jul 2012, 09:29 pm »
yes, SMPS is in the rectangular box which is "open" below and above (in fact a metallic grid in black is there to avoid putting your fingers into the box) and the ncore is in the tube, "open" at one end where you see the red led glow across the heatsink. The heatsink on the other side is just a heatsink fixed on the aluminium plate.

What a great job.

Is the Heat sink on the metal plate functional? does the metal plate conduct hear from the PS?

Could we see a pic of how the connectors are mounted.

jmbulg

« Reply #171 on: 13 Jul 2012, 09:52 pm »

What a great job.

Is the Heat sink on the metal plate functional? does the metal plate conduct hear from the PS?

Could we see a pic of how the connectors are mounted.

Maybe you can understand the topology of the thing with the two previous images. The wood (with a round hole for ncore and rectangular hole for the SMPS) is placed on an aluminium plate. Cables run between the two, with channels cut in the wood where necessary. Then cables come out in the base where they are let out at the rear plate (iec connector, xlr connector and speakon connector).
So the ncore is bolted onto the big aluminium plate and the heatsink on the plate at the opposite position. So heat dissipation should be assured but the main objective of this heatsink was visual balance. The SMPS is just installed on its feeds on the aluminium plate but with the two open sided (below and above in the vertical position) it is ok also.
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2012, 11:44 am by jmbulg »

mgalusha

« Reply #172 on: 14 Jul 2012, 04:40 am »
Great creativity, really like your design.

bunky

« Reply #173 on: 14 Jul 2012, 04:43 am »
Man,they look really Sweet :thumb:

bruno

• Industry Participant
« Reply #174 on: 14 Jul 2012, 11:21 am »
That's brilliant :)

jmbulg

« Reply #175 on: 14 Jul 2012, 11:47 am »
Thanks for all the support (including from the master himself !). Gives me some relief as reaction from SHMBO when I explained her the benefit of XLR cables for long runs: Ah, so you could hide your amplifiers beyond the speakers ?  :roll:

rave959

« Reply #176 on: 14 Jul 2012, 01:47 pm »
Pretty cool!

8)

Christian

Airborn

« Reply #177 on: 18 Jul 2012, 07:14 pm »
I did not want to be the one to post next in this thread following jmbulg's beautiful and creative build.  :bowdown:  However, since this is my first diy project of any significance, the fact that they work at all is very gratifying.  These pics were taken around midnight with my phone camera after a long day, so please excuse the poor image quality.

Here is the left channel mono (I know the wiring needs to be shortened up and routed better--this was just the preliminary layout to see if everything worked):

And here is the right channel.  Look red lights!

Here is one of the little guys on top of my Odyssey amp for some size perspective.

The fact that someone with poor soldering skills and little diy experience can assemble these amps is a testament to Bruno's design skills.   :notworthy:

mr_bill

« Reply #178 on: 18 Jul 2012, 08:16 pm »
That gives me hope for my assembling skills!

bluse2

Re: Chassis & Parts Sources
« Reply #179 on: 28 Jul 2012, 11:21 am »
This is another trials to build it with mono block.

I've added the VU meter to make a analogue feeling :-)