Amazon Fire TV Recast

Doublej

Amazon Fire TV Recast
« on: 24 Nov 2019, 04:57 pm »
I am contemplating getting one as a first step to try to get my family weaned off cable TV. Does anyone use one? Is it reasonably user friendly and glitch free.

As a reference we'd be moving from a Tivo.

dolsey01

Re: Amazon Fire TV Recast
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2019, 05:20 pm »
I am contemplating getting one as a first step to try to get my family weaned off cable TV. Does anyone use one? Is it reasonably user friendly and glitch free.

As a reference we'd be moving from a Tivo.

Recently dumped Xfinity for a Recast and YouTubeTV.  My only complaint with the Recast is it down converts everything to 720P.  Not a huge deal but I wish it would at least offer the option for native playback.

Our biggest issue is there is way too much available now.  We received free Apple TV and Disney+ for a year and also have Amazon Prime and Netflix. 

The Recast and OTA Antenna have become our back up plan in case our Internet connection is offline.  I also use the YouTubeTV DVR so our most important shows get recorded on both options. 

I'd say jump now while the prices for all the Amazon Fire devices are so discounted. 

dolsey01

« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2019, 05:39 pm »
Also, get the 4K FireStick over the standard one, it's much more responsive/faster.

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2019, 07:45 pm »
Also, get the 4K FireStick over the standard one, it's much more responsive/faster.

Thanks. Definitely getting a 4K stick whether or not I get a Recast. I did not know that it dumbs down the resolution. How noticeable is it?

dolsey01

« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2019, 07:52 pm »
Thanks. Definitely getting a 4K stick whether or not I get a Recast. I did not know that it dumbs down the resolution. How noticeable is it?

It is noticeable on some channels.  Fox broadcasts in 720P so it's equal but I notice Football on the 1080i broadcast networks (CBS, NBC) looks better on YouTubeTV.  They store the actual recordings in their native resolution on the hard drive, it's just they down convert it to cut down on streaming issues over WiFi since that's what the majority of their user base use to connect.

witchdoctor

« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2019, 02:59 pm »
My issue with the firestick is you cannot stream amazon music ultra hd tracks in hirez, everything streams at 48k. Maybe they launch an upgraded "audiophile" stick soon.