Replacement battery charger for Dodd kit.

satori

Replacement battery charger for Dodd kit.
« on: 30 May 2013, 03:34 pm »
I'm looking for a good quality replacement battery charger for the Dodd 24v battery kit. I believe the one I have is a Soneil 2404SX1. Ideally, the replacement should be automatic and available in UK to save on postage. Any suggestions?

This looks good, but more than I'd like to spend: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sterling-Power-24v-2-5A-Global-Smart-Charger-GS243B-/280938722163

Also, is the amperage important? I think the Soneil one is 1.5a.

Thanks

satori

Re: Replacement battery charger for Dodd kit.
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2013, 10:51 am »
Thanks Jason. Much appreciated!  :)

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2013, 01:11 pm »
C-Tek charger. Has no il affect when left on. Trickle charger that can be left attached to battery. More money.

charles

satori

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2013, 01:39 pm »
Thanks Charles. I had been looking at the CTEK chargers. More than what I was hoping to pay, but they do seem excellent.

jb26

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2013, 09:57 am »
Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a replacement charger that's currently available through ebay or amazon?

If it's not got the correct attachment for the Dodd kit how easy is it to change and/or purchase an adapter?

Cheers,

JB

jb26

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2013, 10:49 am »
Hi All,

I'm looking at grabbing a 24v/2a charger off ebay/amazon to replace my charger.  What sort of batteries are in the kit (SLA etc) that I need to match to?

Thanks,

JB

satori

« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2013, 12:17 pm »
Hi,

When I got my kit it wasn't supplied with batteries. Seth recommended Panasonic and Powersonic. I think any 12v SLA batteries would do. I used these:

http://www.powersonicbatteries.co.uk/shop/power-sonic-12-volt-batteries-%7c76/power-sonic-ps1242-12v-45ah-rechargeable-sla-battery-%7c6536/

Paul

dpump

« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2013, 01:22 pm »
Parts-Express now has the exact same Power-Sonic batteries. I just purchased a pair.

jb26

« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2013, 02:01 pm »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses, but I'm not looking to replace the batteries.  I'm looking to replace my broken charger, and what to confirm if the dodd kit ships with SLA batteries or another type.

Thanks,

James

satori

« Reply #10 on: 25 Aug 2013, 07:21 pm »
Hi James,

I probably didn't explain myself very well, but the point I was trying to get across was that I believe any 24v charger designed to work with SLA batteries will be fine. As far as I'm aware there is no specific kind of battery that you need to use with the Dodd kit as long as they're 2 x 12v SLA batteries. I'm sure Seth of Jason (of Virtue Audio) would confirm this to be true.

My Dodd kit wasn't supplied with batteries due to the weight and cost of shipping outside the US. I found those PowerSonic ones online, sent Seth the link and he confirmed that they would work.

Regards
Paul

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #11 on: 1 Sep 2013, 10:02 pm »
Paul,

Thanks for your help on this.  To confirm, there is absolutely no magic in the 24v pack -- although of course, there are differences among battery packs, they are slight and the good ones are cheap.  Soneil is a great charger and you can buy it elsewhere.

This technology is used in all kinds of machines and safety devices with chargers from various manufacturers.  We had one over-heat and panicked to put them in steel boxes, etc.  Gary is no longer producing these. 

We will probably self-source for the next-gen but likely keep it a kit as we can't be responsible (financially) for the performance of parts provided by others (ie. battery + chargers).  To keep this absolutely clean from a liability standpoint, you will need to do final assembly: they'll be yours.

Seth