Magnificently Stupid Carpenters

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Magnificently Stupid Carpenters
« on: 1 Feb 2021, 09:30 pm »
I participate in a few building/remodeling forums and rarely cross-pollinate here. But this is so bad I feel like I need to post it as a public service announcement.

https://youtu.be/1pFbzLzNozM

What they've done here is to structurally compromise every single engineered truss they cut. Any decent carpenter knows that this is an absolute no-no without the blessing and drawings and stamp of a structural engineer. I've field engineered my fair share of stuff, but this is not only stupid, it's dangerous. I have to assume this is not going to get inspected and thus becomes the next owner's enormous liability.

In time the walls will push out and trusses will drop. Gravity will have its way. So sad...

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Magnificently Stupid Carpenters
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2021, 09:51 pm »
That's eye opening.  When someone buys that thing, will and inspection show that it is substandard and dangerous?

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2021, 09:59 pm »
As soon as I saw the pile of ‘trash’ with all those 2” by’s in it I knew where this was going.  I realize that the world will always have stupid people, I really fear the stupid ones with confidence like these guys. 

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2021, 10:21 pm »
They might be in for a surprise if a big wind storm comes through and they get a bunch of roofers up there...  :roll:

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2021, 10:33 pm »
Yeah, that does not look good. 

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2021, 10:50 pm »
On this forum, we have facilitators to ensure certain posts, videos, images, etc. aren't inappropriately posted. It would be nice if YouTube and other similar websites assembled teams of expert volunteers in various fields who can remove instructional and informational videos that stray too far from reality. There's a 100% chance that professional contractors serving as YouTube facilitators would ban this video. For instance, how many more incredibly dangerous chainsaw or tree stump removal videos do we have to see?   

WC

« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2021, 11:02 pm »
Not enough structure left for that roof. The truss 2x4s would need to be replaced by something significantly wider like a 2x10 or 2x12 tying into a ridge beam.

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2021, 11:23 pm »
That's eye opening.  When someone buys that thing, will and inspection show that it is substandard and dangerous?

If covered up with drywall I’m not sure a home inspection would uncover those knuckleheads handiwork. Like WC mentioned who is to say there isn’t a ridge beam supported by some  properly sized 2”x?? under it? 

I’ve heard way too many stories of ‘contractors’ removing load bearing walls to ‘open up a room’.

Saturn94

« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2021, 11:39 pm »
Yikes!  :duh:  :nono:  :o

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #9 on: 1 Feb 2021, 11:39 pm »

Good question. In the world of inspectors, you have building inspectors that typically work for the city or county.  They assure compliance with local building codes. Building codes are primarily concerned about safety and integrity of the building. Building inspectors insure code adherence of involved trades. Hence electrical, plumbing, structural, etc. That's where building permits come from.

There's another breed of cat that's more about used homes. They are independent businesses that usually get involved when a property is being bought/sold. They look for code compliance among other things, but have no authority to enforce building codes. It's more like having a used car checked out at your mechanic. They should find this kind of deficiency, but I have little faith in them in general.

Assuming there's a permit that would include inspections, this would likely trigger a red tag and would have to be corrected at least before a certificate of occupancy would be issued. If it were around here,  a "cease work" order would likely be issued until the safety hazard was removed. There are (mostly) rural areas that don't really have building departments and inspectors though, and this might fall into that category.

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 2 Feb 2021, 01:27 am »
It's going to look weird where the ceiling meets the wall. Any inspector who isn't blind is going to look at the pitch of the roof, then see the vaulted ceiling and know right away something is fucked up.

Actual vaulted ceilings still have a big gap if they aren't made from larger beam-ish type stuff. It's enough to crawl around between the ceiling and the roof, and have insulation. So on any house that isn't more pricy or older you know it has to have a strong enough pitch/space form the outside to support the complex rafting internally that's made of 2x4's.

It does depend on some places like Cali vs Minnesota, as in south states they can reduce insulation, ventilation, etc. But it would never mean what they did makes any sense.