Atlantic options

Shredder

Atlantic options
« on: 12 Feb 2017, 06:39 pm »
Hey. i am leaning heavily toward purchasing an Atlantic. For sure, I want the DSD only with 512 option. I am wondering whether any of the other add ons are worthwhile.

My current system is fully balanced (Modwright Transporter into Cary slp-05 pre into Modwright 150se powering Aerail model 9s). The balanced option for the Atlantic is another $1k. How significant a benefit comes from that? Seems awfully pricey for that option.

I am also considering tube rectification? Any thoughts on that upgrade?

Superclocks?

I know how great these dacs are. Very excited that i may become an owner. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

wisnon

Re: Atlantic options
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2017, 04:12 pm »
Shredder,

I honestly dont think you will be satisfied with less than the BAL Atlantic+(tube recti) and BOTH superclocks. DSD only starts at about $4K or so. Bal and S/Clocks another $1500 or so, so you are looking at $5.5K retail and perhaps LampiNA can do some kind of gesture to say $5K.

Fully Balanced is a MUST if your system is fully Bal!!! Superclocks a Must to squeeze the maxx out of the Amanero.

Tube recti is not a relative MUST, but as it gives a wider soundstage and the fact that you can also swap in a SS recti with tube pinouts, I would go with this.

My 2 cents
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2017, 11:34 am by wisnon »

shadowlight

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2017, 04:34 pm »
BOTH superclocks

Why is both superclocks a must if he is ordering DSD only?  I thought the 48k clock was beneficial only in the pcm domain?

Shredder

« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2017, 05:52 pm »
Good pint. Based on the website, it looks like the second clock is for PCM only.

wisnon

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2017, 11:39 am »
Why is both superclocks a must if he is ordering DSD only?  I thought the 48k clock was beneficial only in the pcm domain?
While official DSD is 2.8mhz and a member of the 44.1khz family...BITSTREAM at higher rates follow BOTH families. DSD128 is normally 5.6mhz, there is stuff available in 6.1mhz too and also you can upsample 48khz PCM up to its INTEGER multiple in high rate BITSTREAM. Much less strain on the computer upsampling to non-integer multiples, less chance of stuttering.

That is my understanding. Besides, the 2nd clock is only $200 more.
While the first superclock already helps both families, as they stress on the Amanero clock is reduced (say 75% of the benefit), geting the 2nd superclock brings in the last 25% of the benefit. DSD only means USB only, so you want it to be the best it can be...
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2017, 09:42 am by wisnon »

wisnon

« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2017, 12:33 pm »
BLINDED Dac shootout from Audioshark by a Suncoast Audio customer in Florida
 Originally Posted by Moneypenny View Post

I have to share my story of a high end DAC shootout. As Mike knows, I got to know him through Audioshark Forum. Elsewhere in this forum you can learn that Mike (Suncoast Audio) has finally put down brick and mortar. My wife and I happened to be traveling in Mid-Feb and made arrangements on a Friday to have a blindfolded shootout of 5 top DACs. first, I can't say enough about the Suncoast facility - it has to be one of the top spots in U.S. - absolutely fantastic. Mike replicated a version of my equipment (Ayre pre/amp, Aurender and Vandersteen Quatros - vs my Ayre ref Kx-R/VX-R and Carbon 5As. My wife and I were blindfolded through all but the final two selection. Going in, my wife was fully locked like Harry Potter "..Not Slytherin, not Slytherin..." but rather "....not Lampizator, not Lampizator..." due to the WAF factor.

Key results:
 - Used my Dana USB cable on all DACs
 - Tunes varied from Annie Lennox - Into the West, Brad Mehldau - Waltz for J.B., Stevie Ray Vaughn - Tin Pan Alley, Symphony #2 in E Minor Op. 27 - Budapest Festival Orchestra, Moondance - Van Morrison
 - So here is how they sorted - first the eliminations:
 - Ayre Qx-5 - was immediately eliminated as too bright for both of us. Sound was good and soundstage was clear but the hair raised on the back of our necks during the Annie Lennox crescendo ( note after the shootout, Mike mentioned he likes the QX5 with another USB
 - Berkeley Ref 2 - this was my initial favorite but my wife felt it was mushy in the soundstage background. We did listen again after the shootout and enjoyed it more and the sound was excellent just not the top one
 - Dave Chord - this one had amazing depth to the sound stage, excellent separation and clarity BUT it was also too bright. Mike tried another USB cable but alas, was still a bit too shrill for our tastes
 - You guessed it - when we took off the masks - left standing were the B7 and Atlantic Lampizators - The music was warmer and more organic. For us, it sounded more analog and natural.
 ...And the winner is: after 6 1/2 hours with Mike and swapping tubes in the B7 and the Atlantic rectifier, the B7 clearly was the winner. The clincher was the Symphony #2 which was mesmerizing - truly one of the most emotional connections ever with the music. My wife is thrilled with the sound (and will live with the aesthetics) and swears there must be some type of gypsy magic sprinkled onto the B7.

We essentially ordered the B7 with the set up we loved ( tubes and wires) and included a Denali 6000T per Mike's recommendation.

As a couple who has shopped most Hi-Fi shops -on the East Coast we enjoyed our experience with Mike in his new shop. Mike is passionate and spends less time selling and more trying to find the right sound for us. He guided us in the process and adjusted as we reflected on each DAC. It's nice to have a guide on the trail. Truth of the matter, I think he enjoyed the shootout too.

What fun! Can't wait for the equipment to ship to our house.

Shredder

« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2017, 04:50 pm »
Hey, I appreciate the input. One thin, however, I asked Lampi about the 2nd clock for DSD only and they said it has no benefit. it is for PCM only.

Shredder

« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2017, 04:55 pm »
Very jealous of your DAC shootout. Sounds amazing. Very helpful to me as I am very very sensitive to bright. I get fatigued very easily from even small amounts.

This confirms my strong interest in obtaining a Lampi (although the B7 is out of my price range, if I go this route it will be an Atlantic DSD only).

BTW, have you (or anyone else) heard the T+A DSD 8? It is the only alternative to the Lampi still on my list.

Thanks for the great info.

Gopher

« Reply #8 on: 17 Feb 2017, 05:05 pm »
Hi Shredder,

Yes, a single super clock would suite you perfectly with a DSD only Atlantic.

This review compares a bone stock Atlantic to a T+A http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/lampizator2/1.html

Unlike what you're interested in, Atlantic reviewed doesn't even have tube rectification, super clocks or our proprietary DSD512 filter...   :thumb:

Fred 

Shredder

« Reply #9 on: 17 Feb 2017, 05:17 pm »
Interesting. I had read that review, but before the T+A was on my radar and had forgotten the comparison. Thanks.

Shredder

« Reply #10 on: 19 Mar 2017, 01:29 pm »
So, i just pulled the trigger on a new Atlantic-DSD only w/512, balanced, tube rectified, one super clock. Can't wait!!!!

wisnon

« Reply #11 on: 21 Mar 2017, 03:18 pm »
So, i just pulled the trigger on a new Atlantic-DSD only w/512, balanced, tube rectified, one super clock. Can't wait!!!!
Very happy for you.

Shredder

« Reply #12 on: 3 Apr 2017, 05:42 pm »
My Atlantic arrives today!!!! I will share my impressions after about a week of burn in.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #13 on: 3 Apr 2017, 06:03 pm »
My Atlantic arrives today!!!! I will share my impressions after about a week of burn in.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, that was quick! Enjoy the Lampi.

Ern Dog

« Reply #14 on: 8 Apr 2017, 02:27 am »
Looking forward to hearing about your new dac Shredder!

Shredder

« Reply #15 on: 8 Apr 2017, 12:28 pm »
There was a little glitch with the shipping. I won't be getting DAC now until next week.

Ern Dog

« Reply #16 on: 10 Apr 2017, 12:07 am »
The wait must be killing you.

Ern Dog

« Reply #17 on: 13 May 2017, 06:02 am »
How is the new dac sounding?

Shredder

« Reply #18 on: 18 May 2017, 05:36 pm »
Very busy at work, I will write a real review eventually. Short version: the DAC is amazing, exactly as advertised. Dead quiet, super detailed, 3-D band in the room imaging. Could not be happier, worth every penny.

Take care, more later.