behind the screen

drummermitchell

behind the screen
« on: 3 Oct 2011, 03:35 pm »
Wondering if there is any benefit to having Gik panels behind a solid screen(non AT),if say the screen was mounted 4-6" away from the wall.I'm assuming very little.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: behind the screen
« Reply #1 on: 3 Oct 2011, 04:05 pm »
Not from a high frequency standpoint though if you're having upper basss/lower mid boundary issues, it could still provide beneficial.  Kind of depend on the overall situation.

Bryan

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 3 Oct 2011, 04:06 pm »
Sound waves penetrate so only the higher frequencies would be slowed by the screen and if the panels were thick enough they could absorb the longer, lower frequencies.  So some benefit, but maybe not the ones you were after if the reflections off the screen are troublesome to you.

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 3 Oct 2011, 04:27 pm »
See my pics in this thread http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87517.msg904305;topicseen#msg904305

My screen is out about 18" out and my traps seem to work just fine for bass. The down side is mid-high reflections off the hard screen for 2ch. I put some movable diffusers in front of it to deal with that, but I've since taken the screen down as I just didn't like the compromise.

drummermitchell

« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct 2011, 01:20 am »
Nicely done,TomS.
Christ,true my music listening can suffer with a solid screen(scope 235.1).
I don't even know if I have any issues back there(I know I do but that's different :lol:).
So if I go with a AT screen,I'll have to bring it out to my speakers or NOT.
Or AT mounted 4-6"from wall with 242's behind and Bob's mah Uncle.
More thinking,this is way harder than purchasing amps,pre's ect.