GIK goes GREEN!!

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
GIK goes GREEN!!
« on: 25 Feb 2011, 04:39 pm »
From our website:

GIK Acoustics uses sound absorption insulation with ECOSE technology. Unlike most competing products, it is manufactured from naturally occurring and/or recycled raw materials and bonded using a bio-based technology free from formaldehyde, phenols, acrylics and with no artificial colors, bleaches or dyes. ECOSE reduces energy consumption and pollutants stemming from the production process and is therefore more fully recyclable than standard mineral wool or fiberglass. The absorptive core has earned the toughest indoor air quality certification in the industry, GREENGUARD™, which is certified to meet CHPS Low-Emitting Materials criteria section 01350. GIK's Treatments with ECOSE technology are easy on air quality for your room, the environment, and your budget.

Glenn Kuras
GIK Acoustics

martyo

Re: GIK goes GREEN!!
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2011, 05:37 pm »
That is excellent  :thumb:     

KiwiBobs

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2011, 09:48 pm »
Is this new? Is this for select new products only or all existing products are Greensafe?

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2011, 10:47 pm »
Is this new? Is this for select new products only or all existing products are Greensafe?

More or less it is new but is for all products. The goal was to make this over all not just a selected line of products.

Glenn Kuras

jriggy

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2011, 11:45 pm »
Right on!!! This will make my wife very happy! Some of us care so much about the natural world it can be very emotional.

Kudos GIK guys!

rpf

« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2011, 01:24 am »
Very cool.  :thumb:

sirbrine

« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2011, 12:54 am »
Is there any significant difference in the density of the ECOSE technology and do you expect it to affect the sound absorbancy of your products in any way?

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2011, 05:25 pm »
It is a lower density, but the lab numbers match up with the other core we used.  One other advantage we noticed is in the past the board could vary in depth a bit. Not a big deal if you have panels spread out, but when butting them together it could look a bit strange to the anal eye  :lol: :lol:. Now the board is exactly the some from piece to piece.

Glenn Kuras

genjamon

« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2011, 05:39 pm »
Great job, guys.  I'm even more of a fan now...   :thumb:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2011, 06:13 pm »
Frankly, "going green" would be the last reason I would choose to buy a product. I am far more interested in performance and price.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 3 Mar 2011, 06:31 pm »
Frankly, "going green" would be the last reason I would choose to buy a product. I am far more interested in performance and price.

I respect your view point, but as a company we take pride in not being part of the problem.  BTW performance nor pricing as changed.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 3 Mar 2011, 06:34 pm »

You go girl!   :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 3 Mar 2011, 06:35 pm »
I respect your view point, but as a company we take pride in not being part of the problem.  BTW performance nor pricing as changed.

That's great.  Next you'll be installing solar panels.   :roll:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #13 on: 3 Mar 2011, 06:50 pm »
Some people are sensitive to the chemicals used in other absorbing products.  If we can build a product that performs just as well, is priced the same, and at the same time is not going to irritate those folks and is better for the environment, I don't see where the downside is.

Bryan

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 3 Mar 2011, 06:55 pm »
Some people are sensitive to the chemicals used in other absorbing products.  If we can build a product that performs just as well, is priced the same, and at the same time is not going to irritate those folks and is better for the environment, I don't see where the downside is.

Bryan

There is absolutely no downside.  It's a great thing.   :thumb:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #15 on: 3 Mar 2011, 07:25 pm »

Bryan

Bryan,

As you have explained it, there is no downside. IMO, we all have an obligation to be good stewards of our resources and the environment. What I object to is all the "going green" hype. I find it to be a total turn off regardless of the product or service. I travel a lot for business and I am sick & tired of hotels where I'm paying $200-$350/night for a hotel room requiring me to put a card on the bed if I want the sheets changed or throwing towels on the floor if I want fresh towels when they clean the room, all because they are trying to be "green."

When a company leads with the "going green" line I tend to assume that their product may not perform as well as a company that promotes performance, price, construction first, and then BTW, we operate in an environmentally responsible manner too. 

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #16 on: 3 Mar 2011, 07:37 pm »
Understood.  We've been around long enough, and IMO, proved that our products do perform well and are a good value.  This is a bonus in the equation that we can maintain the performance and the value while using greener products.

Bryan

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #17 on: 3 Mar 2011, 09:11 pm »
I am a little confused, what is "green" about it? -Just that it is easier to recycle so when it is at the end of its life it will have a lower energy cost?

Do you have an MSDS sheet available to share on the material?

What were the indoor air quality concerns on the old material? I take it that they were made from formaldehyde or other toxic products that you have contrasted this new material against, in your intro?

-Tony

vinyl_lady

« Reply #18 on: 3 Mar 2011, 09:16 pm »
Understood.  We've been around long enough, and IMO, proved that our products do perform well and are a good value.  This is a bonus in the equation that we can maintain the performance and the value while using greener products.

Bryan

Bryan,

I agree that your products are very good and perform well!

Laura

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #19 on: 3 Mar 2011, 09:22 pm »
Nevermind, I found the link
http://www.knaufinsulation.co.uk/PDF/Mineral%20wool%20with%20ECOSE%20Technology_pp_LR.pdf

Basically 60% is recycled content, hence the "green" declaration.

However, taken in contrast, this makes me wonder how much of an air quality concern with all products made prior to this using mineral wool insulation which emits formaldehyde due to the binding agent. 

Edit* found this, (which references this "Greenguard"...) wish I had known this earlier...
http://www.healthybuilding.net/healthcare/Fiberglass-insulation-formaldehyde-emissions-090116.pdf

Check the conclusion:
"Conclusion - Avoidance of all formaldehyde binders is attainable and warranted: Based on these
results, it is evident that fiberglass insulation using phenol formaldehyde does emit significant levels of
formaldehyde at the 14 day California 01350 emissions test measurement point and at least for several
months beyond with no sign of tapering off at that point."

-Tony