Capacitor Upgrade Recommendations...

msommers

Re: Capacitor Upgrade Recommendations...
« Reply #20 on: 4 Sep 2017, 05:47 pm »
Any update on if you did any upgrades and if so, which ones?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #21 on: 4 Sep 2017, 09:41 pm »
You might want to look at Jensen PIO Copper Foil Caps.  Clarity MR caps sound great as well.

My BAT preamp uses Jensen PIO Aluminum caps but the Coppers are supposed to sound better.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: 4 Sep 2017, 10:37 pm »
Any update on if you did any upgrades and if so, which ones?

I do not remember what this customer decided to do.  We did not work on it though.  Perhaps the OP will update us.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: 4 Sep 2017, 10:44 pm »
You might want to look at Jensen PIO Copper Foil Caps.  Clarity MR caps sound great as well.

My BAT preamp uses Jensen PIO Aluminum caps but the Coppers are supposed to sound better.

Too many long term problems with Jensen.  BAT along with many other manufactures have had issues.  Jupiter and enjoy.  The MR (non-copper end spray) sound identical to the Mundorf Supreme.  The Supreme is cheaper.  While the new copper spray is better, the MR is still a three section metallized poly.  It will never compete with a true paper and foil cap.  BTW, if your desired value is available in an AZ cap, they are a better buy than the Alum Jensen.  Less apt to leak as well.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #24 on: 5 Sep 2017, 01:18 am »
Too many long term problems with Jensen.  BAT along with many other manufactures have had issues.  Jupiter and enjoy.  The MR (non-copper end spray) sound identical to the Mundorf Supreme.  The Supreme is cheaper.  While the new copper spray is better, the MR is still a three section metallized poly.  It will never compete with a true paper and foil cap.  BTW, if your desired value is available in an AZ cap, they are a better buy than the Alum Jensen.  Less apt to leak as well.

I have talked directly with Victor Khomenko from BAT and he said that they had problems with the older original PIO Jensen Caps but the newer ones do not have the same problems.  I had the caps replaced in my BAT VK-51se, all 12 and have had no problems in over 2 years.  The original ones were not leaking but they were old.  It took them about 150 hours to break in.  I bought them  directly from Jensen and saved a few hundred dollars.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #25 on: 5 Sep 2017, 01:45 am »
I have talked directly with Victor Khomenko from BAT and he said that they had problems with the older original PIO Jensen Caps but the newer ones do not have the same problems.  I had the caps replaced in my BAT VK-51se, all 12 and have had no problems in over 2 years.  The original ones were not leaking but they were old.  It took them about 150 hours to break in.  I bought them  directly from Jensen and saved a few hundred dollars.

Time will tell.  But most in the know are going to be unwilling to roll the dice.  They should have never leaked...  Now they are better, and will not leak...  What is one to believe?  I will tell you this.  The biggest reason industry moved away from PIOs is because they are very unreliable.  I work on equipment with leaky Jensens almost monthly.  Those customers would not take the new ones if they were free.  :wink: :(

Further, I have always preferred dry paper.  Which is technically not dry.  It is wax impregnated.

BTW, aside from the leaking issue, and voltage leaky, they often short.  That is why Jensen adds a poly film to their more expensive parts.  Too expensive to fail.