woodsyi's Benz MC-3 cartridge

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: woodsyi's Benz MC-3 cartridge
« Reply #60 on: 7 Aug 2007, 02:46 pm »
Matt,

I am glad you are having a good time with the MC3.  That was the whole purpose of sending those out.  I guess I am kind of on a crusade to bring people into vinyl, specifically LOMC.  I was out of vinyl while I was in blissfull midfi oblivion listening to Adcom/nakamichi stuff in the nineties.  Then I was hit with a audiophile brick smack on the middle of of my forehead with an all out Audio Research stuff with B & W 800s at someones house.  I was knocked out silly and when I woke up I had the audio bug.  Since then, I have gone up the ladder from my old Dual TT, MMF5 with gold ring MM, Basis with MC3 and many variations, Delphi V with Koetsu Rose wood and many variations.  I just skipped through MM and was not really impressed because I had a sound in my head that I wanted to recreate.  Unfortunately now, I am spinning 2 complete set ups because  Koetsu/Oracle/Art Audio is completely tuned to female vocals. Now here is a combo that's just perfect for listening to my favorite operatic divas.  Ruby3/Basis/Modwright does the rest.  Once I heard the MC3, I went up the ladder to Ruby 3.  I have a glider2 with a Rega RB250 arm around if you want them later.  Benz I think has very balanced sound from top to bottom whereas Koetsu is all about midrange bloom.

As for the tour there is an AC member in NY who would like to try them but I also would like to offer chgolatin2 to try the combo on his Clearaudio setup since he asked questions earlier about trying different carts an/or phonostage.  Would you mind getting in touch with Robert and see if he wants to try? 

TheChairGuy

« Reply #61 on: 7 Aug 2007, 02:55 pm »
Unfortunately now, I am spinning 2 complete set ups because  Koetsu/Oracle/Art Audio is completely tuned to female vocals. Now here is a combo that's just perfect for listening to my favorite operatic divas.  Ruby3/Basis/Modwright does the rest.  Once I heard the MC3, I went up the ladder to Ruby 3.  I have a glider2 with a Rega RB250 arm around if you want them later.  Benz I think has very balanced sound from top to bottom whereas Koetsu is all about midrange bloom.

Rim - do you have those systems side-by-side or two separate systems in different parts of house/condo/etc. ?

You are truly among the committed...with two separate systems...one specific for female vocals  :thumb:

Thanks again for leaving me all that time with the Benz/EAR tandem...they really furthered and expanded my interest in vinyl, in general. So, your intent of your 'crusade' was well-received here.

John

ricmon

« Reply #62 on: 7 Aug 2007, 02:56 pm »
Matt.  What is your set up procedure.  Do you have a protractor,  set records, stylus weight gauge?  Do you do it by ear?
Just curious.

Ric

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #63 on: 7 Aug 2007, 03:04 pm »

Rim - do you have those systems side-by-side or two separate systems in different parts of house/condo/etc. ?

John

Side by side.  :thumb: :thumb:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #64 on: 7 Aug 2007, 03:10 pm »
Holy gawd - your wonderful, forgiving wife  :icon_lol:

She threw your wretched excess in the basement, however (there's a limit to any woman's kindness  :wink:)

gooberdude

« Reply #65 on: 7 Aug 2007, 03:12 pm »
Hey Rim,

I don't think Robert's table is set-up...   he doesn't have a rack, and doesn't even have LP's.    One afternoon a few months back he stopped by my place and he was leaving he muttered 'so that's vinyl'.      A week or so later he bought the Clearaudio with all the trimmings and its been sitting in the box ever since.   While his house is being renovated his attention towards stereo's has fallen a bit - which sucks cuz the 2 areas he skimped on were the cartridge and phono stage.   I'll give him a call though to see if he wants to stop by for a demo this weekend though.     The motor on his beast weighs about as much as my entire TT.    :lol:

Thanks again for this opportunity.   Its a real eye opener for sure...   Whenever the next guy is ready, just let me know.    

Hey Rick,

I use the free protractor from Enjoy The Music, and also the $1 protractor from garage-a-records.  I've never liked the sound that the Garage-A-Records 'tractor alignment gives though.  The Pro-Ject Expression manual has some basic parameters too for alignment.   In terms of Azimuth, i use my eyes and then ears.   So far its been fairly easy to get that right, especially after fiddling with the AT440MLa and its uber tiny stylus. Literally, Azimuth shifts the soundstage from left to right.   Azimuth is key with the 440MLa.    

In general, i've taken instruction from the folks here and just trial & error.   I should've purchased Pro-Jects protractor, but its $100 and i never pulled the trigger.

Also, i bought a $20 digital scale off ebay for VTF, and use my ears & eye for the VTA.     THE hardest part of cartridge install for me is the 4 clips on back - this is more nerves than anything though.  Removing them being the hard part.    My clips are hardwired, so if i rip one off close to the tonearm its time for a new TT.   I use a Husky hobby pliers for this, they are tiny.   I tried tweezers but found that to be quite dangerous, with a perilous grip.

Oh my Woodsyi, when are we invited over for an afternoon?    Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #66 on: 9 Aug 2007, 04:34 am »
yup, i've been to woodsyi's place a few times, & i have yust one word for the sound there:

AWESOME!!!   :thumb:

and, you're unlikely to find a nicer or more gracious host anywhere, either.  which, i guess, is also indicated by his loaning out some really nice stuff for members of a/c to check out.   :green:

doug s.