retipping old cartridge

MikeyMouse

retipping old cartridge
« on: 6 Aug 2007, 06:40 pm »
I have a Benz Micro MC3 with my turntable setup.  Recently, I want to listen to my record collection again.  Since I haven't used the cartridge for several years, do I need to retip it before putting it back to service?  The needle was in good shape before.

-Mikey
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2007, 04:32 pm by MikeyMouse »

lcrim

Re: retipping old cartridge
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2007, 07:55 pm »
Send it to me and I'll check it out for you. 

Seriously, there must be someone near you who has sufficient background to give you an idea.

Scott F.

« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2007, 11:04 pm »
Mikey,

You should't have any issues providing the stylus is in good condition. What usually deteriorates is the suspension. What you will notice if it is bad (most often) is the carts inabiliy to track complex passages on the vinyl. Taking into account the cart is just a few years old (<5 years old), there shouldn't be any issues.

MikeyMouse

« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2007, 03:52 pm »
Thanks Scott,

Actually, I concern about the condition of the stylus suspension the most.  Could the stylus fall off while playing if the material holding it deteriorated (dried up)?

-Mike

Scott F.

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2007, 04:20 pm »
Conceivably it could but the stylus would have to hung up in a major gouge in the record. Just to give you an idea, I picked up and old Dual turntable from the 1970's at a junk shop some time back. It had what looked like a Shure V-15 Type II from the same period. I took the Shure off and mounted it to a current turntable and I haven't had any issues whatsoever. I've done this with several other older carts too. If the suspension is worn, you know pretty quickly. If you make it through a few sides without any issues, I would think that the cart should be fine.

Just to be on the safe side, I'd use an older, less valuable piece of vinyl to test your cart on. That way if it fails, you haven't scratched a record that you really wanted to keep pristine.

lcrim

« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2007, 05:36 pm »
The MC-3 has been out of production for a number of years.  I had an excellent example that woodsyi loaned me.  It has visited some other AC members but it was in quite good shape.  So its very possible that its still workable. 
Look at the stylus under magnification and check its condition.  As Scott suggests, try it on some less vauable LP's.  Unlike MM's the assembly is not designed to come apart, so don't try.  It may very well be fine.  The Benz are pretty well screwed together.

Musky_Don

« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2007, 03:43 am »
Hi Mikey,

I agree with the posts here that if the cart sounded fine the last time you played it then it should still be ok to play.  I think the suggestion of starting with a 'less valuable' piece of vinyl is a good one.  I have not had the chance to listen to a Benz MC-3, but from reading the forums, etc., I'm sure it is a fine cartridge.  I recently had a higher end Cart re-built by the folks at Van Den Hul.  Here's a link to post I made on the experience:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=41312.0

Note that I also owned a non Van Den Hul cart re-built by them some years back - a Lyra Lidea.  I was very happy with that Cart as well.

Hopefully, you don't need a re-build, but if you do, I recommend the service outlined in my older post - my guess is that your cost would be less than what I shelled out.

Don

MikeyMouse

« Reply #7 on: 8 Aug 2007, 10:13 am »
Don,

Thanks for the info.  I remember the local dealer once quoted me $500 to retip the MC-3, so $300 is a "bargain".  :lol:

The Benz Micro MC-3 is a very good sounding cartridge.  When mated with the Graham arm in my Merrill turntable, it gives you very clear and tight sound.  Although, it doesn't have that "romantic" sound as the Koetsu that some people like.

-Mikey