Will a Dual 1219 Wood Base Benefit with Plastic Clay?

trackball02

I just acquired a Dual 1219 with a sock United Audio Wood base off of Craigslist, installed a Grado Wood body cartridge, and replaced the stock RCAs with Blue Jeans cables. I'm impressed with the sound quality for a $100 purchase.

Anyone have experimented with modifying the plinth with plastic clay or other material? Any improvement or don't bother?

TheChairGuy

Re: Will a Dual 1219 Wood Base Benefit with Plastic Clay?
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2013, 05:42 pm »
Had a DUAL 701 with upgraded (heavier) wood base from a modder in the Midwest (can't remember his name, but he did great work and he's a woodworker by trade so the new base was well made).

Added Plast-i-clay to that base and found the effects were so-so in benefit.  It didn't hurt the presentation, but I strained to hear the benefits whereas in certain decks the benefits are soooo obvious.

The failing on the 701 was primarily the arm - it's a trapped energy mess (which includes that DUAL proprietary plastic headshell). The biggest upgrade was constrained layer damping dots - experimenting with positioning - and I had either plast-i-clay or damping dots at the base/pillar, too.

It ended up singing once I did these things.  At the time I had like 5 tables so I sold it off to a chap in Taiwan who I hope was very happy with it.  The 701 had a terrific/strong direct drive motor (pre-quartz era), but because it floated, had an expansive soundstage like a really good belt drive (but with more exact timing and better sounding piano and other matters that DD can often do better than inexpensive belt drives)

Experiment - it didn't cost you much.  It's the best way to learn.  Every aspiring vinylphool probably needs a junker or two table to dial in your upgrades: some work, some don't, some are too costly or time consuming, etc. I had two junkers that I did near everything I could think of too....total cost was like $150 between the two tables (and I even got a preemo ADC XLM II cartridge body from one of them that I still use with NOS cantilever in it)

Cheers, John   

WireNut

« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2013, 06:23 pm »
Trackball02,

Nice find for 100 bucks. Looks very clean. Like the smoke top.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2013, 06:41 pm »
The modder I couldn't remember earlier: http://www.fixmydual.com/

orthobiz

« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2013, 06:59 pm »
At the time I had like 5 tables so I sold it off to a chap in Taiwan who I hope was very happy with it. 
Cheers, John

Still kinda wished I bought it...

Paul

TheChairGuy

« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2013, 07:21 pm »
Still kinda wished I bought it...

Paul

BoneDoc
They're still out there I'm sure - dunno' if they have risen in price along with so many of the vintage tables now.

I was unimpressed with it to begin with - but diddling with the arm was the key move to improvement.  It ended up sounding rather expansive and pleasant, overall.  I was very surprised how the experiment turned out, frankly.

trackball02
Here it is - you can see the judicious use of the constrained layer damping dots here and there...and the ring of plast-i-clay at the base/pillar.  A lot of problems with counterweight, too - remedied by another damping dot as I remember it:

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2013, 07:49 pm »
That slider switch in the base is definitely not stock, in 40 years I have never seen a Dual like that and I am familiar with the 1219.

TheChairGuy- I had a 506 back in the day which had the ultra-low-mass arm; it was an energy storing mess too. I didn't know it at the time but years later I happened into one and had a chance to compare it with the Longhorn mod (and without). I hadn't realized back then how "noisy" the ULM arm was. The Longhorn (and a little judiciously applied plasticine) quieted it down dramatically.

trackball02

« Reply #7 on: 5 May 2013, 10:23 pm »
That ugly front slider switch was installed by the original owner. I have a insert in the instruction manual by United Audio, entitled "Automatic Shut-Off of Entire system or Operating Receiver/Amplifier Independently"  It leads to a two pronged plug in the back to the wood base. Switch does not affect the turntable itself.

What are those damping dots made of?

I have read that some have wrapped the tonearm in Teflon tape. Any experience?

How about:  http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TONEARM-KIT   

Wirenut, The unit looks clean after scrubbing off decades of dirt and grim, refinishing the base with WATCO, and buffing a very dirty and lightly scratched dust cover.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2013, 04:36 am »
My multiple attempts at wrapping tonearms piecemeal or in entirety in teflon tape have been miserable each time used.  Try for yourself and see as it's cheap and report back.  It leaves no goo - comes off effortlessly and clean.

I've used constrained layer products (which are usually rubber and either aluminum or stainless steel) and they've worked well - but I've mispoken earlier when I called the dots used on the DUAL arm 'constrained layer'. 

More recently I've used EAR brand (vinyl) composites (now owned by 3M - once an independent company - and 3M doesn't too often buy companies without real good technology at hand)

This line of product from them: http://earsc.com/HOME/products/DampingandIsolation/DampingMaterials/SD/index.asp?SID=153

Here's where I buy it (a good resource for  great many audio doo-dads): http://www.percyaudio.com/

Cheers, John

trackball02

« Reply #9 on: 9 May 2013, 04:34 pm »
John, Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll experiment with some dots, and will not bother with Teflon wrapping.

Right now, I took the unit to a local repair shop.

It has not been lubricated for decades. The tone arm does not consistently return completely to the cradle at the end of the record and the motor starts to buzz after running for a couple of hours, probably due to dry bearings.