Amadeus platter won't turn

clave

Amadeus platter won't turn
« on: 20 May 2015, 02:37 am »
Hi.  I just acquired a pre-owned Amadeus GTA.  It came in the original packaging and appears to be in mint condition. However, after installing the platter and belt, I find ...nothing happens.  I've tried a couple different belts to no avail.  I suspect that the the platter is not sitting correctly in the bearing, but I can't seem to do anything about it.  Adding bearing oil has no effect.  Can anyone offer guidance?  Thanks.

--Matt

sebrof

Re: Amadeus platter won't turn
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2015, 03:13 am »
Is the motor turning?
If so, what is the belt doing, turning or sitting there?
Can you turn the platter by hand easily?

It's a motor that turns, pulley on top of the motor shaft, belt (thread, really) that connects the pulley to the platter and turns the platter.
Sounds like somewhere in that chain there is a breakdown. Just need to figure out where.

clave

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2015, 03:24 am »
The motor is working, but the belt is not turning the platter.  Spinning the platter by hand I get some friction and noise, specifically, a rasping sound. 

sebrof

« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2015, 03:39 am »
The belt pulls the platter level. Perhaps the belt is too loose, causing the platter to not turn with the motor, and also causing the friction and noise when you turn by hand?
Is the platter level (IOW, is the belt tight enough to pull the platter level)?

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2015, 03:49 am »
Call Mike Pranka.

clave

« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2015, 03:59 am »
The platter is level with the belt on, but it does not turn easily either with or without the belt.  I will contact Mike Pranka tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

clave

« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2015, 05:34 am »
I figured out the problem:  the platter had slid down the spindle, so the platter was hitting the plinth. 

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2015, 10:47 am »
I figured out the problem:  the platter had slid down the spindle, so the platter was hitting the plinth.

:o

sebrof

« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2015, 02:45 pm »
I don't remember mine when I had it out - What holds the platter at the correct height (what keeps it from sliding down like yours did)?

And glad you got it sorted out. :thumb:

clave

« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2015, 04:28 pm »
The platter doesn't normally move on the spindle.  It may have happened because it got too warm in transit, causing things to loosen up.  I found an older thread on here where somebody had the same issue.