Lots of Well Tempered Questions

ulysses

Lots of Well Tempered Questions
« on: 26 Jan 2014, 03:13 am »
I just posted an ad in AudioCircle’s Trading Post circle for my wonderful original Well Tempered turntable and tonearm. After owning and loving my extensively modified Well Tempered for more than 25 years, I’m considering replacing it with a new Versalex. Can you folks help me with some questions about the new Well Tempered turntables and tonearms?

1.   Does the Versalex sound significantly better than the cheaper Amadeus GTA?
2.   Does the Amadeus GTA sound significantly better than the cheaper Amadeus?
3.   Does the Versalex come with the same wall wart power supply as the Amadeus models?
4.   How does the DPS power supply compare to a good power conditioner feeding the Well Tempered? In other words, should I purchase the DPS or just plug the Well Tempered’s wall wart into my Running Springs Jaco?
5.   Which sounds better on the Well Tempered: the Auditorium 23 mat or Herbie’s Audio Lab grungebuster mat specifically designed for mat-less acrylic-platter turntables such as the Well Tempered?
6.   Can anyone recommend footers that are a significant upgrade over the Well Tempered’s stock feet?
7.   Can anyone recommend an aftermarket dustcover for the Well Tempered turntables? How about the Stereo Squares Well Tempered dust covers (see the bottom of the page): http://stereosquares.com/shop/page/3/
8.   Can anyone recommend a good Well Tempered dealer who sells on the web?

Thanks!

Phil
Wilsonville, Oregon
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2014, 05:02 am by ulysses »

vortrex

Re: Lots of Well Tempered Questions
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2014, 03:45 am »
2.  I don't know if I would say significant, but it does sound better (most notably in the bass dept).  The best part is it feels like a real turntable.  Vastly superior quality than the MDF one.

8.  I think http://www.eugenehifi.com/ is your local dealer.

ulysses

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2014, 04:53 am »
Vortrex,

Thank you for your response. I hope the other members of this circle welcome all the questions in my original post. I've never seen or heard one of the new Well Tempered tables. All I know about the new Well Tempereds is what I've learned in this circle. If my original Well Tempered sells, I'll visit Eugene Hi-Fi to check out the new Well Tempereds.

Phil
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2014, 06:03 am by ulysses »

gagamut

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2014, 11:15 am »
mine is GT version

3 Versalax is same wall wart power supply
4 DPS is significantly better,more stable,black background
6 i use KRIPTON board,

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2014, 03:20 pm »
1. The UK consensus is that the latest mk2 Amadeus and Versalex are more or less on a par. I'm sure that you wouldn't go wrong with either.

6. I decided after experimenting last year (with Dynavector amps and Shahinian speakers) that removing my Versalex squash ball feet and using them under an isolation platform improved the top end, the sound was more detailed and open. However with platform removed and balls reattached the sound was more seamless and full but a little duller. Something similar to the effects wrought from adding or removing silicone from the arm cup. With isolation and damping it's about finding our own personal sweet spot IMO.

threadkiller

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2014, 08:20 pm »
1.   Does the Versalex sound significantly better than the cheaper Amadeus GTA?  NO
2.   Does the Amadeus GTA sound significantly better than the cheaper Amadeus? NO
3.   Does the Versalex come with the same wall wart power supply as the Amadeus models? YES
4.   How does the DPS power supply compare to a good power conditioner feeding the Well Tempered? In other words, should I purchase the DPS or just plug the Well Tempered’s wall wart into my Running Springs Jaco? WORKS WELL WITH THE WTL MOTOR - POWER CONDITIONERS ARE HIT AND MISS
5.   Which sounds better on the Well Tempered: the Auditorium 23 mat or Herbie’s Audio Lab grungebuster mat specifically designed for mat-less acrylic-platter turntables such as the Well Tempered? NONE OF HERBIES PRODUCTS IMPROVED ANYTHING WITH THE WTL -MY FAV IS STILL A 23 MAT
6.   Can anyone recommend footers that are a significant upgrade over the Well Tempered’s stock feet?
7.   Can anyone recommend an aftermarket dustcover for the Well Tempered turntables? How about the Stereo Squares Well Tempered dust covers (see the bottom of the page): http://stereosquares.com/shop/page/3/  THERE ARE MANY OUT THERE NOW MAKING QUALITY LIDS
8.   Can anyone recommend a good Well Tempered dealer who sells on the web? YOUR DEALER IS DALE AT EUGENE HIFI.

watercourse

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2014, 03:37 am »
Agree with the above answers, although I haven't tried the Herbie's Mat with the Simplex. I have used one of those mats with my previous tables with excellent results. Here's some more info:

6.   Can anyone recommend footers that are a significant upgrade over the Well Tempered’s stock feet?

The Herbies Tall Soft Tenderfeet work as well if not better than the stock squash balls, without problems with the table maintaining level due to the unequal wear on the squash balls. I've also used Herbie's Turntable footers as well, but I actually think the Tenderfeet might be a touch better in my setup, which needs isolation from footfalls.

7.   Can anyone recommend an aftermarket dustcover for the Well Tempered turntables?

Local plastics suppliers can fabricate a custom cover, but you can also DIY. I measured the size needed for my Simplex, and raw materials would cost about $60 for custom cut acrylic of 1/4" or 1/8" sheets. Acrylic is about the easiest material to work with: cut, sand, glue, hold a few minutes while it sets, sand again, clean, then it's beer-thirty.

ulysses

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2014, 05:14 am »
Thanks to everyone for their thoughtful responses to the many questions in my post. If my original Well Tempered sells, I'll visit Dale at Eugene Hi-Fi and listen to the new Well Tempered tables.

Phil

kantx

« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2015, 09:51 pm »
So basically what has the Versalex which the GTA does not ?