3B-ST / 3B-ST THX as monoblocks

fbny71

3B-ST / 3B-ST THX as monoblocks
« on: 14 Jan 2020, 11:12 am »
I am currently running a 3B-ST in stereo mode but have been on the lookout for another one for the ability to run each in bridged mono mode.

There is a THX-certified version of the 3B-ST available on that auction site and I was thinking of pulling the trigger.

I have not been able to find my specific situation addressed but as far as I have been able to find the only difference in the THX branded models is the inclusion of a trigger which was subsequently added to all models after THX certification was no longer pursued by Bryston.

Is my conclusion correct? Will the two play nice together as monoblocks?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 3B-ST / 3B-ST THX as monoblocks
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2020, 12:27 pm »
I am currently running a 3B-ST in stereo mode but have been on the lookout for another one for the ability to run each in bridged mono mode.

There is a THX-certified version of the 3B-ST available on that auction site and I was thinking of pulling the trigger.

I have not been able to find my specific situation addressed but as far as I have been able to find the only difference in the THX branded models is the inclusion of a trigger which was subsequently added to all models after THX certification was no longer pursued by Bryston.

Is my conclusion correct? Will the two play nice together as monoblocks?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Hi fbny71

Correct the THX just had the trigger added and was set to 28dB of gain.

james

fbny71

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2020, 12:32 pm »
Thank you so much for your quick reply James!

is there a mismatch in gain I would need to be concerned about running these side by side as mononblocks?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2020, 04:21 pm »
Thank you so much for your quick reply James!

is there a mismatch in gain I would need to be concerned about running these side by side as mononblocks?

The Brystons have a switch on the new amps that allow a gain change but I believe the older ST did not have the switch so it would be set at 28.

james

fbny71

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2020, 04:23 pm »
Thank you again!

TJ-Sully

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2020, 10:57 pm »

hi there fbny

what kind of speakers are you running?  It might be interesting to run the two amps in stereo mode - with one 3B running the bottom end, and the other 3B running to top end.   unless you're looking for extra amps!

cheers

fbny71

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2020, 11:02 pm »
hi there fbny

what kind of speakers are you running?  It might be interesting to run the two amps in stereo mode - with one 3B running the bottom end, and the other 3B running to top end.   unless you're looking for extra amps!

cheers

My speakers aren’t of the bi-wire type...Zu Audio Omen DW with clarity caps.

techguy0192

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2020, 04:40 pm »
My speakers aren’t of the bi-wire type...Zu Audio Omen DW with clarity caps.

With those speakers, I wouldn't worry about bridging the amps.  There will be plenty of power with a single 3B. 

fbny71

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2020, 05:00 pm »
With those speakers, I wouldn't worry about bridging the amps.  There will be plenty of power with a single 3B.

Of course there's plenty of power, but there can always be more power!  :D

TJ-Sully

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2020, 12:32 am »

agreed. at 97db, these babies are screaming for a nice tube amp!

fbny71

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2020, 11:23 am »
I used to use them with a Primaluna Prologue Four, it sounded great but I started messing around again with solid-state gear and ended up with a Bryston preamp which leads me to the 3B-ST and now I'm all in on Bryston!

IF another comparable 3B-ST shows up I'll get it to run both in bridged...if one is not in the cards I'll eventually upgrade to a newer, more powerful one in the SST2 or cubed lineup.