Marbles

B
« on: 26 Jan 2003, 04:44 am »
I'
« Last Edit: 3 Dec 2009, 06:14 pm by Marbles »

Jay S

Band on the Run and other Analog sounding CD's
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2003, 11:35 am »
Wow, gotta pick that up!  Am a fan of Paul McCartney, though his albums from the 90s onward never quite caught my attention.

akshobhyavajra

Re: Band on the Run and other Analog sounding CD's
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2003, 03:25 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
I'm listening to the 25 Anniversary edition of Band on the Run - Paul McCartney and Wings, which was the first album I ever bought...well not the 25 anniversary edition :-) ... abyway I can't get over how analog sounding this CD is.

What other CD's do you guys have that make you beleive you are really spinning vinyl.... without the pops and clicks?

Marbles,

I've noticed that the remastered RCA Living Stereo label is quite good - so much so that I've picked up about 9 CDs by Fiedler, Reiner et al.   However, the vinyl pressings are still a bit more musical to me (esp the wonderful 180 gram Classic Records re-issues) - even with an occasional pop and click  :guitar:

~Michael~

lo mein

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2003, 03:40 am »
Marbles,

Oldies or what?

For oldies. Here're a few that pop up in my mind:

- "The London Years-singles collections" remastered box set. The Rolling        Stones.

- "Aja" remastered. Steely Dan.

- "Year of the Cat" Al Stewart. (produced by Alan Parsons)

- "Live at Leeds" remastered. The Who.

- "Are You Experienced" remastered box set. Jimi Hendrix.

- "Finer Things" remastered box set. Steve Winwood.

- "The BBC Session" The Small Faces.

- "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake" (Original UK release, with round
   carboard jacket inside jewel case.) The Small Faces.

- "Hot and Nasty" Humble Pie.

- "Live at Fillmore East." remastered Allman Brothers Band.

- "The EP Collections" U.K. limited edition box set. The Kinks.

- "Gasolin Alley." Rod Steward.

- "Box of Pearls" remastered box set. Janis Joplin.

- "Johnny Winters And" (live) Johnny Winters.

- "Super Session" Al Kooper, Mike Bloomfield, Stephen Stills.

- "4 Ways Street" Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. (live)

- "Alone Together" Dave Masion.

- "11-17-70" Elton John remastered (KICK ASS direct Live broadcast, with      just a piano, bass,  and drums.)

- "Tubular Bell (original)" Mike Oldfield.

- "Tarkus" Emerson, Lake & Palmer. (Japanese import, or MF Gold disc)

Have fun.

p.s. - Also try to find the first 2 releases from Julie Driscoll/Brian Auger's Trinity.

Alex

MediaSeth

how they do that?
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2003, 04:18 pm »
I'd like to hear from engineers on this one.  I really want to know what processes or lack thereof produce these more "analog-like" cd's as you call them.  I've noticed some, myself.  I really like the later Yo La Tengo CD's on Matador.  However, they are also darker sounding (the mix, not the music).  It might be that they use less compression?  I know that's the case with some of my better sounding discs.

nathanm

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2003, 07:05 am »
One album that struck me as very analog is Fleetwood Mac s\t.  Now, I am not hugely familiar with everything they've done, but I snagged this from a friend who was selling some CDs.  Anyway, this one is so big and fat sounding it doesn't seem like it matters what format it is, it just sounds freaking good.  

To me it's totally the recording format.  The way the music was recorded.  That's the whole deal right there.  Those big 2" 24-track recorders they have in the studios are amazing.  I have an ADAT and do all my multi-tracking with that, but man, I bought a used cassette deck (defective, even!) and when I laid down some drums on that thing I thought, "Wow, I forgot how good analog tape sounds!"  Sure, there's problems with it.  The hiss, the speed problems, dropouts etc.  But the gentle compression is just so cool and forgiving.  I wish I had the ability to maintain an analog multi-track properly, as it would probably work wonders.  With digital I was initally impressed at how identical the input and playback sounded.  But analog comes back sounding better. Technically worse, but better somehow!  

To me the ADD or AAD-tagged discs always were superior to the DDD stuff.  It's just a more romantic sound.  So much of modern recording technology is an attempt to mimic old recording technology.  It's really kind of ass-backwards if you think about it.

BobM

Why not just get them on vinyl?
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2003, 02:30 pm »
If you want more analogue sound from sone really good old rock and roll, why not just crank up the turntable and get the vinyl? Figure $1-5 for most of these records and you'll be a vinyl junkie in no time. Oh yeah, invest in a decent record cleaning kit (i.e. Disk Doctor) - makes a world of difference.

Enjoy,
Bob

U4EA

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2003, 05:05 pm »
Marbles

Get Band on the Run the DCC Gold version.  Mastered by Steve Hoffman.  It is out of print.  But...will knock your socks off.

Thump553

« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2003, 12:15 am »
That's encouraging news.  I was a fairly early adopter on CDs and when I got my player there wasn't many CDs out.  Band on the Run was the first CD I bought, along with Who's Next.  I was greatly disappointed in the audio qualities of both-there were flat and lifeless.  Glas to see they finally got it right.