"THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON" by PINK FLOYD.

Mariusz Uszynski

"THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON" by PINK FLOYD.
« on: 1 Mar 2023, 05:05 pm »

Happy 50-th Birthday Pink Floyd's "The Dark Side Of The Moon"

:birthday: Released on 01.March.1973   :birthday:

Let's spin or stream that Timeless Masterpiece today.

JDoyle

Re: "THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON" by PINK FLOYD.
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2023, 06:12 pm »
A masterpiece, IMHO.

dpatters

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2023, 08:06 pm »
Spinning the vinyl now.

Don P

doorman

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2023, 09:31 pm »
“Comfortably numb”

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2023, 12:50 am »
I think this album cover is the silliest of all the band albums, it looks like it was chosen to impress teenagers, this cover has nothing to do with the music on the album, this cover is dated and has aged badly, I dont know how to explain why this cover is so terrible, at the time it may have seemed a great idea.

The band biography says when the guys of Hipgnosis showed to the band the possible covers, all four of them chose this cover  :scratch:
]Alternative Covers

FireGuy

« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2023, 02:14 am »
A masterpiece, IMHO.

Absolutely correct.  The music was so new, so different... imaginatively creative.  It retrained what you though music was.  You knew you loved it at first but didn't know why.  Awed emotionally and logically.  That's DSOTM.

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2023, 03:46 am »
Absolutely correct.  The music was so new, so different... imaginatively creative.  It retrained what you though music was.  You knew you loved it at first but didn't know why.  Awed emotionally and logically.  That's DSOTM.
+ drugs

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2023, 11:16 am »
I wasn't a fan of Pink Floyd previously, but my high school sweetheart bought the album and tried to get me to listen to it.  I said I'm not wasting my time listening to that garbage.  She repeated I really think you'll like it.  I put on some James Taylor or something.  A year or two later the boys and I were playing DSOTM and WYWH back to back.

dflee

« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2023, 04:13 pm »
Good album that still stands up well.
Alan Parsons as engineer was a good move on the band's part also.

Don

jmc207

« Reply #9 on: 2 Mar 2023, 04:35 pm »
A masterpiece, IMHO.

Completely agree. I listened to the whole album again last night and it is good now as in the mid '70s.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #10 on: 2 Mar 2023, 04:46 pm »
There was a good documentary on Amazon about the making of that album. Super cool to see them as young guys in the studio trying to figure everything out. There was one line at the end where David Gilmour stated his only regret is that he is one of the only people in the world who will never have a chance to pop on headphones and have that first listen to that album start to finish.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2023, 08:51 am »
Well, the latest news are Sir Roger Waters have just finished the recording of a new studio version of DSTM with his studio musicians and will release it after some Time to studio processing.

The reasons are that ''the original was RW who made it alone then he has the right to redo it again the way I want. etc etc''

The project intends to adjust the album to the current times and to the current generation of fans. So RW already told this remake will have some changes and will have many new details>
1) News lyrics over instrumental music.
2) Musical andaments have been changed.
3) etc etc

Cant wait... Thanks Roger  :thumb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRzBmbVOOWw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPDNQYhNyGQ

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/xXK8tdTr290

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76b7fB3bYaM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMVJwAGNlD8

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2023, 08:59 am »
I also think that the PF co-leader Dave, also should release his own version of this album to the fans compare both versions.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #13 on: 14 Mar 2023, 09:12 am »
Well, the latest news are Sir Roger Waters have just finished the recording of a new studio version of DSTM with his studio musicians and will release it after some Time to studio processing.

The reasons are that ''the original was RW who made it alone then he has the right to redo it again the way I want. etc etc''

The project intends to adjust the album to the current times and to the current generation of fans. So RW already told this remake will have some changes and will have many new details>
1) News lyrics over instrumental music.
2) Musical andaments have been changed.
3) etc etc

Cant wait... Thanks Roger  :thumb:

You can hear a sample on YouTube. It's horrible and the comments are all in agreement:

Link

dB Cooper

« Reply #14 on: 14 Mar 2023, 02:12 pm »
Wow, Roger Waters has become a cover artist for his own music. How weird is that. Wonder who they're gonna get for the vocal on 'Great Gig In The Sky'? Maybe Waters will do it himself and they'll digitally transpose it- they can do that now without it coming out sounding like Alvin and the Chipmunks.

As far as the DSOTM [size=78%]cover goes, I disagree completely that it 'hasn't aged well'. It is instantly recognizable across a large room by at least two and maybe three generations of musicians and fans. It easily qualifies for the much-overused appellation 'iconic'.[/size]

MttBsh

« Reply #15 on: 14 Mar 2023, 02:59 pm »
DSOTM has earned its place in music history, it includes a line that sums it up perfectly: "nothing more to say". It's a finished work. Why not create something new instead of messing with an album that's as close to perfection as you can get :nono:

rbbert

« Reply #16 on: 14 Mar 2023, 03:20 pm »
IMHO this album only represented Pink Floyd's serious attempt to become popular.  At the time I thought it was a step backwards after the masterpieces Atom Heart Mother and Meddle, and it was also easily surpassed in musical enjoyment (for me) by Wish You Were Here.
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2023, 05:12 pm by rbbert »

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #17 on: 14 Mar 2023, 04:06 pm »
   IMHO played to death already. For me every few years at best. A mood thing

charles

wushuliu

« Reply #18 on: 14 Mar 2023, 05:13 pm »
"Any Colour You Like" is one of the best pieces Floyd has ever done. A short sweet peek at what may have been one of the greatest jam bands ever. Still my favorite band of all time.