Welcome to The Tube-O-Phile Circle

JakeJ

Re: Welcome to The Tube-O-Phile Circle
« Reply #20 on: 20 Oct 2010, 12:18 am »
Another fine example from the Chinese.  She's a beaut!

woodsart

« Reply #21 on: 20 Oct 2010, 01:46 am »
Yeah, one of the ones that is holding it's own and producing some fine sound! So far so good!!!
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2010, 04:31 am by woodsart »

woodsart

« Reply #22 on: 27 Oct 2010, 05:49 pm »
Hey Jake,

Rolling out the 8 -6J1s in the front of the amp (have El34s in back (4) of them), and I am changing the front ones to GE 5654Ws NOS/NIB.

In the 20L manual it says use match pairs or quads. These are just 8 matched ones. Am I ok with this?

Thanks,
Rob

JakeJ

« Reply #23 on: 27 Oct 2010, 06:32 pm »
Rob,

I couldn't find the manual online but if you have eight of the same tube type and they are all matched then you should be good to go.  Please let us know what you think after listening for a while.

Jake

woodsart

« Reply #24 on: 27 Oct 2010, 06:39 pm »
Jake,

Just flipped the switch and checked email. Wow the sound is different, but I will give a report after break-in.

Problem is I just got 2 new WAF-1 speakers, so I am breaking them in too.

Listened to the last half of  'Just You and Me'' by Chicago and The Search of Over' by Survivor' More open, airy and bigger sound stage so far. Really different than the 6J1s and they weren't bad.

So, let's let them break in.

Thanks,
Rob

woodsart

« Reply #25 on: 27 Oct 2010, 06:42 pm »
Way more LIVE sounding....Wow!!!

weitrhino

« Reply #26 on: 29 Oct 2010, 04:56 pm »
Hi Tube Nuts,

I haven't really been "into H-FI" for a very long time having considered myself more of a music guy.  Early on I was using an old Voice of Music integrated tube amp that someone had given my father years earlier to settle a debt.  Along with it was an old Fisher tube tuner.  The tuner channel was the only one that worked in the amp and I didn't know the first thing about how to restore it. But mostly over the years I've had mid-fi and speakers I could crudely construct.  That all changed just over 2 years ago when I fell into tubes in a big way.

http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5691&start=45

Now I love them so much it's hard to see myself without them.  You could say I've been converted.

Glad to meet you all.

cheers,  weitrhino

woodsart

« Reply #27 on: 29 Oct 2010, 05:13 pm »
Yeah, weitrhino, the same with me, been a long time since I really sat down to listen to music, until now.

Got into the surround first, then began reading about 2 channel and that seemed to be the biggie.

Even at RMAF, a lot of tubes were lighting up the rooms, so I heard and so it looked in the pics.

And, with my little Yaqin, I am in love :hyper:!!!

Amazing how Pandora One is with Tubes too!

Getting ready to move the speaks I have with the amp in the theater, so I will be looking for 2 more. So much more fun with tubes.

Also I am considering a new sound card, it is called the Asus Xonar PCIe Sound Card. Suppose to have Burr-Brown codecs. Anyone heard of it?

Thanks,
Rob

HEADICTED

« Reply #28 on: 1 Sep 2011, 09:22 am »
Hi All,
My first post here.
I have had a pair of Anthony Gallo Ref AVs as my bedroom setup for 2 years.
Since these speakers are really power hungry I had to go with powerful SS Amps and so I bought the
Denson B-200 Pre & B-320 Power.
Very, very transparent, great resolution and speed, BUT VERY bright & cold. 
Was not happy with the brightness in particular
Since there is no exchange policy here in Dubai, I was stuck with it.
Replacing the Densons with a high end Prima Luna tube amp was an expensive option and I am a married man

A few month ago I came across the MHDT Havana Tube DAC and decided to give it a try. 
I got it a month ago and the difference is phenominal.
The brightness is gone, soundstage has widened, bass has tightened and the mids are to die for.
WOW...
I did'nt know that a pair of tubes could do so much...
Regards

Steve

« Reply #29 on: 1 Sep 2011, 07:29 pm »
Hi All,
My first post here.
I have had a pair of Anthony Gallo Ref AVs as my bedroom setup for 2 years.
Since these speakers are really power hungry I had to go with powerful SS Amps and so I bought the
Denson B-200 Pre & B-320 Power.
Very, very transparent, great resolution and speed, BUT VERY bright & cold. 
Was not happy with the brightness in particular
Since there is no exchange policy here in Dubai, I was stuck with it.
Replacing the Densons with a high end Prima Luna tube amp was an expensive option and I am a married man

A few month ago I came across the MHDT Havana Tube DAC and decided to give it a try. 
I got it a month ago and the difference is phenominal.
The brightness is gone, soundstage has widened, bass has tightened and the mids are to die for.
WOW...
I did'nt know that a pair of tubes could do so much...
Regards

Welcome Deadicted,

Yep. I got into tubes as a kid, and there is something special about them in a good design.

Cheers and welcome again.

Steve

squalor

« Reply #30 on: 25 Nov 2011, 03:58 am »
Mind if I pull up a chair and have a listen ?
I have a pair of BLH in need of a amp. They are the Dallas II design with Fostex FE206E drivers. I was using a Nakamichi TA-2A 50Wx2 stasis receiver but it was hit by lightning. I have a chepo T amp on the way from PE but am trying to learn all I can about tube amps.
I'm jealous of weitrhino for wining a Carver tube amp. Have you got it yet dude ? Will you post pics or do you have a superior moral justification for your selfishness ?

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #31 on: 15 Aug 2012, 01:52 pm »
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2016, 02:10 pm by Bob2 »

Mr. Orange

• Flat speakers RULE!
« Reply #32 on: 16 Dec 2012, 09:21 pm »
Greetings, this will be my second post and I submit the below photos of my TAD60.  :green:

audionut44

« Reply #33 on: 4 May 2014, 12:10 pm »
I'm back in the wonderful world of tube after being away from home audio as a whole for 8 years.  I have a Yaquin MC-10L and MS-22B currently and I am pleasantly surprised by the sound quality.  The MS-22B is highly modified and the MC-10L is in the process of getting component upgrades.  I do hope to build a Audio Note Kits Legend 300B parallel SET over the winter.

While totally immersed in the hobby years ago I've owned:

ASL Tulip 2A3
Quicksilver KT88 Monos
A EL84 based Jolida that I can't remember the name of

It's good to be back!

ltr317

« Reply #34 on: 4 May 2014, 03:52 pm »
I'm back in the wonderful world of tube after being away from home audio as a whole for 8 years.  I have a Yaquin MC-10L and MS-22B currently and I am pleasantly surprised by the sound quality.  The MS-22B is highly modified and the MC-10L is in the process of getting component upgrades.  I do hope to build a Audio Note Kits Legend 300B parallel SET over the winter.

While totally immersed in the hobby years ago I've owned:

ASL Tulip 2A3
Quicksilver KT88 Monos
A EL84 based Jolida that I can't remember the name of

It's good to be back!

Welcome back and welcome aboard.  I have a friend who has a pair of those Quicksilvers driving Proac EBS speakers.  The Jolida you had is the 102.  I have a modified Jolida 302.   

JakeJ

« Reply #35 on: 5 May 2014, 03:16 am »
What ltr317 said, welcome!

aaroncutchin

« Reply #36 on: 10 Mar 2019, 06:54 pm »
Hey, Jake, I'd like to post in this circle, but get the message "you are not allowed to post". Do I have to get approved first?

adminRH

• Admin
« Reply #37 on: 10 Mar 2019, 09:18 pm »
Aaron, welcome to AC!

First 3 posts of new members have to be approved by moderator, but you can post almost anywhere, it's just delayed a little before appearing. Then after 3 posts you can PM, search and post in Trading post.

JakeJ

« Reply #38 on: 12 Mar 2019, 01:51 pm »
Sorry I missed this, busy busy lately.  Welcome to AC.

Jake

rick2546

« Reply #39 on: 20 Jun 2019, 11:01 pm »
Newer to AC and in the process of putting together a dedicated 2-channel listening room (build out under way including room treatment).  I have some great SS stuff for other locations in the house but really LOVE the sound and beauty of tube gear.  Primarily will be using my Mastersound Dueventi (integrated) with digital front-end and a variety of higher efficiency speakers.  Backup is a custom EL84 based parallel pentode amp for some variety in life.  I have been gradually accumulating a variety of NOS tubes for both amps (EL34, EL84 for output and 12AU7's for input) but the EL34's are really getting expensive.  Decided to acquire a small stash of NOS tubes before the situation invariably worsens.  Attached is a stock photo of the Mastersound but will upload photos of the room and gear when done.  Regards.