Breeze or Stiff Breeze vertical dispersion?

FogAudio

Breeze or Stiff Breeze vertical dispersion?
« on: 8 Jan 2014, 05:49 am »
I have a couple of questions about the Breeze or Stiff Breeze speakers. How much do the RAAL foam inserts allow one to play around with the vertical dispersion pattern? Can I angle the dispersion pattern to be optimal at about 20deg downward? Also can the RAAL tweeter in the Stiff Breeze be turned 90deg to turn it into a center channel? (edited for clarity)

The reason I ask is that I am in the market for a new set of speakers that will be integrated into a new media cabinet that I am having built by a local cabinet maker (see drawing below). I designed the cabinet with more emphasis on practicality than optimal speaker placement (a small house and 3 very young kids have a lot to do with its design). As can be seen in the CAD drawing below I have 3 spaces for LCR speakers which will be hidden under a unified acoustic grill/cloth. A quick aside, I have read some warnings about putting speakers in cabinets and as a result I am hoping to add some details to the cabinet after the cabinet fabricator installs it in our family room. A couple of the modifications will include reinforcing the walls that contain speakers with MDF (which should be mostly possible due to 1.5-2" faceframe over 3/4" ply construction). The second modification will be to apply a heavy layer of acoustic foam within the speaker cabinets/shelves. Hopefully these added measures will help to isolate any cabinet resonances and back reflections. This is probably not the forum for this but I'll be happy to receive any other suggestions regarding embedding "bookshelf" speakers in an actual bookshelf/cabinet. In any event, I wanted to show the image of cabinet b/c as can be seen the LCR speakers will be very high in the room (almost 5ft for left/right and 6ft for the center).

Thanks,
Ryan

P.S. I think this is my first post on AudioCircle. Though, I've lurked for many months on this forum. It's cool to read so many informative threads!
« Last Edit: 8 Jan 2014, 02:10 pm by FogAudio »

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
Re: Breeze or Stiff Breeze vertical dispersion?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2014, 01:29 am »
I have a couple of questions about the Breeze or Stiff Breeze speakers. How much do the RAAL foam inserts allow one to play around with the vertical dispersion pattern? Can I angle the dispersion pattern to be optimal at about 20deg downward? Also can the RAAL tweeter in the Stiff Breeze be turned 90deg to turn it into a center channel? (edited for clarity)

The reason I ask is that I am in the market for a new set of speakers that will be integrated into a new media cabinet that I am having built by a local cabinet maker (see drawing below). I designed the cabinet with more emphasis on practicality than optimal speaker placement (a small house and 3 very young kids have a lot to do with its design). As can be seen in the CAD drawing below I have 3 spaces for LCR speakers which will be hidden under a unified acoustic grill/cloth. A quick aside, I have read some warnings about putting speakers in cabinets and as a result I am hoping to add some details to the cabinet after the cabinet fabricator installs it in our family room. A couple of the modifications will include reinforcing the walls that contain speakers with MDF (which should be mostly possible due to 1.5-2" faceframe over 3/4" ply construction). The second modification will be to apply a heavy layer of acoustic foam within the speaker cabinets/shelves. Hopefully these added measures will help to isolate any cabinet resonances and back reflections. This is probably not the forum for this but I'll be happy to receive any other suggestions regarding embedding "bookshelf" speakers in an actual bookshelf/cabinet. In any event, I wanted to show the image of cabinet b/c as can be seen the LCR speakers will be very high in the room (almost 5ft for left/right and 6ft for the center).

Thanks,
Ryan

P.S. I think this is my first post on AudioCircle. Though, I've lurked for many months on this forum. It's cool to read so many informative threads!

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the forum!!!

We do indeed allow for the tweeter to be rotated 90 degrees to allow Stiff Breeze to lay on its side.  While such a configuration isn't considered by many to be optimal for center channel usage, as long as the seats are within a 15 degree window, there should be no appreciable loss in fidelity.

The real issue is whether that space above the monitor is going to be high enough to host the 9" wide baffle of the Stiff Breeze and still allow you to fit in the foam.

I don't know if moving the foam inserts around will alter the forward lobe.  I tend to doubt it.  That said, when they are placed according to the manufacturer's instructions, they do indeed offer very good vertical dispersion, so having them above your listening position shouldn't be an issue.

I hope that helped answer some questions.  Please don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Pete

FogAudio

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2014, 05:35 am »

We do indeed allow for the tweeter to be rotated 90 degrees to allow Stiff Breeze to lay on its side.  While such a configuration isn't considered by many to be optimal for center channel usage, as long as the seats are within a 15 degree window, there should be no appreciable loss in fidelity.

Great thanks Pete! Well, one couch will be dead center, the other not so much. I'm guessing the suboptimal seating will have at best 20-30deg off center. But not much I can do about that except to invite less worthy friends to "enjoy" those seats.

The real issue is whether that space above the monitor is going to be high enough to host the 9" wide baffle of the Stiff Breeze and still allow you to fit in the foam.

So, uh oh, we designed the opening for the center channel as 8 - 8.5". I may be able to call the cabinet maker to see if he has built/attached that piece yet! Can I confirm that the Stiff Breeze is 9" wide? The Vapor web page specs on your site says 8"!!

That said, when they are placed according to the manufacturer's instructions, they do indeed offer very good vertical dispersion.
Great, stuff. I hope to be experimenting with those foam doohickeys (to use their official name) in the not too distant future!

I have another question regarding the RAAL tweeter. Is the ribbon on the RAAL more robust than the delicate ribbons of the past? I suspect longevity is much better these days.

Finally, are there any recommendations on what speakers to pair with the Stiff Breeze for in-ceiling surrounds? I was thinking something like the Golden Ear Invisa 525 since with its AMT it has a similar extended range to the Breeze/RAAL.

Thanks again!
Ryan

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2014, 06:26 am »
Great thanks Pete! Well, one couch will be dead center, the other not so much. I'm guessing the suboptimal seating will have at best 20-30deg off center. But not much I can do about that except to invite less worthy friends to "enjoy" those seats.

We can always do a custom build using a small format mid that would allow us to give you a wider horizontal stage from the center channel.  We are flexible!

So, uh oh, we designed the opening for the center channel as 8 - 8.5". I may be able to call the cabinet maker to see if he has built/attached that piece yet! Can I confirm that the Stiff Breeze is 9" wide? The Vapor web page specs on your site says 8"!!
Great, stuff. I hope to be experimenting with those foam doohickeys (to use their official name) in the not too distant future!

We've recently moved to a slightly larger cabinet, however, we can still go with the smaller baffle if that's what you'd prefer.  For the center channel, I'd imagine you don't need vented since the cabinets will be in that recess and the vent is on the back.  So we can use a rectangular cabinet construction that would better fit your placement.  We can do the same with the Breeze, use rectangular enclosures with no ports.

I have another question regarding the RAAL tweeter. Is the ribbon on the RAAL more robust than the delicate ribbons of the past? I suspect longevity is much better these days.

When tension is properly adjusted, the RAAL ribbon is very robust.  While many ribbons would fail when a gust of wind hits them, the RAAL is almost immune to such disturbances.  It's a tough little tweeter.

Finally, are there any recommendations on what speakers to pair with the Stiff Breeze for in-ceiling surrounds? I was thinking something like the Golden Ear Invisa 525 since with its AMT it has a similar extended range to the Breeze/RAAL.

Thanks again!
Ryan

Those golden ears look pretty neat.  We could do something similar for you by providing a baffle with drivers and the crossover mounted to it.  Getting the RAAL to point in a direction other than the baffle isn't as easy to do as with those little AMTs.

FogAudio

« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2014, 05:27 pm »
Finally about to start my Stiff Breeze build! Thanks to Ryan and Pete from Vapor Audio for giving this great opportunity to take part in their DIY Stiff Breeze offer.

The media cabinet I designed was completed by the St Petersburg Cabinet Co, and came out really, really well! They tweaked the design a bit and made all cabinet walls 1.5" thick (2x 3/4" ply) to ensure no resonances would mess up the sound!

Starting out with fairly modest Emotiva and Oppo electronics, but should be good enough to get (hopefully) the first 97% awesome performance! The slide out Middle Atlantic rack I installed definitely gives it a pro-install look!

I've Got the speakers and the Dayton Audio boxes delivered but still am waiting for some more electronics and the front baffles. Here's a pic of the cool RAAL tweeters and Wavecor woofers. The RAAL ribbons are incredibly heavy, wasn't expecting that!

Probably a little ways out until I start (and complete) the build, but thought I'd get an update out on how my project is coming along!

FogAudio

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2015, 03:47 am »
Hey Ryan and Pete,

What gives? I am still waiting for the three baffles and the crossovers/electronics? Come on guys it has been a year since I put in my order for these Stiff Breeze kits... Patience is wearing thin.

Thanks,
Ryan

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2015, 04:09 am »
Hey Ryan and Pete,

What gives? I am still waiting for the three baffles and the crossovers/electronics? Come on guys it has been a year since I put in my order for these Stiff Breeze kits... Patience is wearing thin.

Thanks,
Ryan

Whoa, I thought this had been taken care of months ago!  Call me tomorrow and I'll get it straightened out, PM'ing you my phone number now. 

This one is a bit embarrassing, total dropping of the ball on our part. 

FogAudio

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2015, 04:22 am »
Ok thanks Ryan, got your PM. Will give you a call in the a.m.

Regards,
Ryan

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2015, 04:30 am »
Ok thanks Ryan, got your PM. Will give you a call in the a.m.

Regards,
Ryan

Again, sincere apologies.  I'll make sure and throw in a bonus with the remaining parts
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2015, 05:43 am by Vapor Audio »

FogAudio

« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2015, 10:38 pm »
Just want to post a thank you to Ryan, you were a true gentleman on the phone. It sounds like I am going to be all set pretty soon; can't wait to show them off when the build is done!