Tyson's LGK 2.0 'Ultimate' build thread

Matt__P

Re: Tyson's LGK 2.0 'Ultimate' build thread
« Reply #20 on: 5 Jul 2023, 03:41 pm »
How important is the 3/4" round over on the sides of front baffle of the LGK 2.0 cabinets? Does it make a audible/measurable difference?

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #21 on: 5 Jul 2023, 03:52 pm »
I would say that it is a small tweak to enhance performance due to edge diffraction...
"The diffracting object or aperture effectively becomes a secondary source of the propagating wave"

A Roundover reduces it at those high frequencies with wavelengths relative to the roundover depth... and would sound cleaner. But how noticable depends on a lot of other things being correct.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #22 on: 25 Oct 2023, 11:54 pm »
Update

I finally got around to putting my ridiculously oversized crossover into an external box today.

They sound and measure better now - no more mid-bass hump from the crossover parts eating up airspace. 

You really need to listen to them on-axis to get best frequency response, off axis the highs drop off a fair bit.

For what they are designed for (desktop monitors) they are amazing.  The fact that the top end (and overall voicing) is so pleasant means you can sit CLOSE to them and music still sounds nice.  Tons of detail but definitely will not rip your face off. 

Well done, Danny  :thumb:

Presb4

« Reply #23 on: 26 Oct 2023, 05:01 am »
Tyson, looks like around a 1/4 of the cabinet air space was taken up with the xover parts. I bet moving them external made a significant deference. Good job.

I wish my daughter would work on projects like this with me. She will totally sit down and take over my system in the den with her music (I dont call it music) but she would never lift a finger to make her own system sound better.  :duh:

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #24 on: 26 Oct 2023, 01:40 pm »
Tell me you're an audiophile without telling me you're an audiophile.

My crossovers are nearly the size of the actual speaker. :lol:

That actually does make for a clean and tidy looking little stand.

oskar

« Reply #25 on: 26 Oct 2023, 03:18 pm »
Quick question: why does a single driver speaker require a crossover?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 26 Oct 2023, 03:24 pm »
It's technically not a crossover, as it's not crossing to another driver, it's a baffle-step compensation filter and a notch filter.

Without the baffle-step filter the driver will have a rising response, making it sound very bright. (only way around baffle-step would be to build the driver into a wall)
The notch filter softens a peak around 12KHz

Tyson

« Reply #27 on: 26 Oct 2023, 03:31 pm »
Tyson, looks like around a 1/4 of the cabinet air space was taken up with the xover parts. I bet moving them external made a significant deference. Good job.

I wish my daughter would work on projects like this with me. She will totally sit down and take over my system in the den with her music (I dont call it music) but she would never lift a finger to make her own system sound better.  :duh:

I think part of the reason we bond is because I do respect her music choices, which is not too hard as she has good taste :P.

Tell me you're an audiophile without telling me you're an audiophile.

My crossovers are nearly the size of the actual speaker. :lol:

That actually does make for a clean and tidy looking little stand.

Haha, you are so right.  It gets even worse - I actually completed this entire project with spare parts I had laying around in my basement.  Parts left over from previous projects, :lol:

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #28 on: 26 Oct 2023, 04:08 pm »
Andre The Giant called and wants his desk back.

The good news is you can rebuild a transmission on it while listening to tunes.  :thumb:

VinceT

« Reply #29 on: 26 Oct 2023, 10:01 pm »
Update

I finally got around to putting my ridiculously oversized crossover into an external box today.

Are those them fancy ear candles you can buy from the holistic medicine store?

Tyson

« Reply #30 on: 26 Oct 2023, 10:49 pm »
Andre The Giant called and wants his desk back.

The good news is you can rebuild a transmission on it while listening to tunes.  :thumb:

That desk was made by my great, great grandfather in the hill country of Texas.  It's seen a LOT in it's lifetime.  Love that thing.

Are those them fancy ear candles you can buy from the holistic medicine store?

Man, who knew ear candles were so damn expensive :lol:

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #31 on: 27 Oct 2023, 01:12 am »
That desk was made by my great, great grandfather in the hill country of Texas.  It's seen a LOT in it's lifetime.  Love that thing.

It's awesome.

Tyson

« Reply #32 on: 27 Oct 2023, 04:25 pm »
Just another quick update.  I tried a quad of Herbie Audio Labs Tenderfoot footers between the 2.0's and the external crossover box.  WOW, that was a big improvement.  I think the improvements I'm hearing are a result of the overall height of the speaker now, plus the vibration damping helps clean up the lower mids, and the 'air gap' between the 2.0 and the 'stand' help clean up the upper bass.

Now that the lower mids and upper bass are cleaned up (also a result of getting the crossover parts out of the box's airspace), the imaging and layering really, really improved.  Not quite at the level of my Super 7's but a lot closer. 

Try the Tenderfoots, they are cheap and I think anyone with an LGK 2.0 will be pleased:

https://herbiesaudiolab.com/products/tenderfoot?variant=12643255353399

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #33 on: 28 Oct 2023, 12:25 am »
Do you have a link to the case you used for the crossover? It looks like the one you had for your spatial speakers. That looks to fit the base perfectly as a stand.

Tyson

« Reply #34 on: 28 Oct 2023, 12:29 am »
Do you have a link to the case you used for the crossover? It looks like the one you had for your spatial speakers. That looks to fit the base perfectly as a stand.

You are right, these are the boxes I had that were too small for the X3 crossovers and were just sitting around in my storage area after I sold my X3's.   Here's the link to the exact boxes I used:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253045671485

Tyson

« Reply #35 on: 1 Nov 2023, 09:32 pm »
One more tip for better sound.  Do not stuff the 2.0’s with fiberglass insulation.  Instead buy a roll of half inch thick denim acoustic material:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004Y6SX1Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Use this to line all bare surfaces inside the box.  After you do this the highs clean up a lot and the bass becomes a lot more textured. 

Normally I use NoRez for this but it’s too thick for the 2.0’s.  The acoustic denim is a good alternative. 

Just make sure you don’t cover the bass slot in the front-bottom and don’t crowd the back of the driver on the side walls.

RonP

« Reply #36 on: 1 Nov 2023, 10:07 pm »
Tyson you are the king of audio tweaks.. never change man! never change!  :thumb:

Tyson

« Reply #37 on: 2 Nov 2023, 12:21 am »
Tyson you are the king of audio tweaks.. never change man! never change!  :thumb:

:beer:

VinceT

« Reply #38 on: 18 Dec 2023, 06:39 pm »
One more tip for better sound.  Do not stuff the 2.0’s with fiberglass insulation.  Instead buy a roll of half inch thick denim acoustic material:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004Y6SX1Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Use this to line all bare surfaces inside the box.  After you do this the highs clean up a lot and the bass becomes a lot more textured. 

Normally I use NoRez for this but it’s too thick for the 2.0’s.  The acoustic denim is a good alternative. 

Just make sure you don’t cover the bass slot in the front-bottom and don’t crowd the back of the driver on the side walls.

Tyson, did you use spray adhesive to apply this?  For large enclosure's would you double it up?

Tyson

« Reply #39 on: 18 Dec 2023, 07:00 pm »
Tyson, did you use spray adhesive to apply this?  For large enclosure's would you double it up?

No I fluff it up enough that it sort of floats or rests on top of other things but very lightly.  You don't want things compressed very much.

I would start with a small amount, and iterate, just keep adding more and more, listening each time.  At a certain point the speaker will start to sound muffled.  At that point, just remove a bit of the stuffing so the speaker is more lively and you've hit the sweet spot.