I need the best DAC / No DSD / No Tube / + Volume control / SPDIF & USB?

undertow

Okay so I am looking for the unicorn maybe  :green: need a good quality yet simple DAC.

I am audio and computer savvy with more than enough knowledge to put together multiple digital sources, but wasting money on everything I don’t need is the key because seems everybody is building DACS now and they have costs associated with being completely universal.

1 - No cigarette boxes I need a DAC with linear power supply not a wall wart.

2 - No DSD not that it matters if it has it, but I can care less source will be playing mostly red book and 24/96 or 24/192 at best. So I don’t need a DAC with capabilities that force the price into the thousands.

3 - I guess I can get away with USB input only, but SPDIF / coax makes it easier to put a good cable on it.

4 - No tubes generally this unit would be left on, and not worth worrying about plus I have had enough tube rolling in my life no need for that here.

5 - RCA and XLR outputs are fine, but I can use either in the end so it’s not super critical which it has.

6 - Has to have a volume adjustment for gain, it does not have to be on a remote control. A knob or buttons on unit are fine.

The main thing it has a good analog output stage ultimately being musical.

It does not need all the bells and whistles with multiple active inputs for multiple digital sources etc...

Yes it is very possible I am looking for what is now a 10 to 15 year old DAC capable of the basics that simply sounds good, and can be adjusted to match source gain of the system.

Price? Honestly as inexpensive as possible because I know they are out there.

Thanks for the suggestions!
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2019, 07:36 pm by undertow »

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
Get a BorderPatrol DAC... for the money, the most musical DAC there is... Incredible power supply... solid copper chassis... both USB & S/PDIF available... you can turn-off the single EZ80 rectifier tube if you wish... See http://www.borderpatrol.net/DAC.htm

Very analogue sounding, like real music!

My $0.02,
Pete

undertow

Pete,

I did look at those believe it or not and it is a nice option for a pretty reasonable price, however I do not see the one only requirement I have... a volume control unless I am wrong?

It is also tube which at the right price I might live with.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Stu Pitt

With your criteria, my immediate thought is Parasound Zdac. About $550. The only thing it has that you don’t need is a headphone amp. But that can come in useful. I haven’t heard the Zdac, but I’ve heard quite a bit of Parasound stuff. And I own the Zpre3. Not that it’s guaranteed to sound great, but I’d be surprised if it doesn’t, given their track record.

https://www.audioadvisor.com/mobile/prodinfo.asp?number=PAZDACV2

undertow

Stu,

Nice option.. have to dig a little deeper myself into this one as not sure what the chipset or how good the analog stage really is in this thing, but obviously it could be ordered and returned worst case.

Headphones are fine anything unnecessary is okay it just comes down to value and whether it just adds to cost for no reason.

Might be forced to look at more headphone based DACs to get the volume option anyway it seems.

Thanks

WGH

The PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII has everything you want except the price. I spent a enjoyable afternoon listening to one a few years ago, it is very musical and the switchable digital filter really helps clean up the sound of early CD's. This DAC is good enough to keep forever and PS Audio can keep it working like new if it ever needs service.

Used PerfectWave's sell for $2100 but you can still buy new from PS Audio
https://www.psaudio.com/products/perfectwave-dac/#tab-description

$2499 in silver or black

"This product has been discontinued after nearly 5 years of musical service. We are currently selling our existing inventory of new stock at significantly reduced pricing."

Stu Pitt

Stu,

Nice option.. have to dig a little deeper myself into this one as not sure what the chipset or how good the analog stage really is in this thing, but obviously it could be ordered and returned worst case.

Headphones are fine anything unnecessary is okay just comes down to value and whether it just adds to cost for no reason.

Might be forced to look at more headphone based DACs as many only have the volume option if they are integrated headphone amps anyway it seems.

Thanks
It certainly does seem headphone amps are going to be the overwhelming majority of your options. I was looking pretty seriously into the Zdac a few months ago to pair up with my M-Audio BX8s (powered monitors) for my basement/punching bag room. I scraped that idea because I wanted a remote. Instead I bought a Zpre3 and Audioquest Dragonfly Black. The Zdac probably would’ve sounded better, but how critically am I listening when I’m beating up my Century BOB (mannequin looking punching bag)? I’ve tried the Zpre in my main system - Bryston B60, Rega DAC and Audio Physic monitors. It sounded quite good. It didn’t Best my B60’s preamp section, but it’s not really a fair comparison to either component.

The press on it has been pretty positive. It shouldn’t be a departure from Parasound’s house sound. If you’re familiar with and like Parasound, it seems like a pretty low-risk option. My Zpre is built quite well, and I’m pretty confident they share enough of the same parts.

Just my thoughts, not a shove in any direction.

Also, have you considered preamps with built-in DACs? Your options will increase quite a bit.

undertow

WGH,

Seems the perfect wave is more than a DAC having a network bridge and more or less music server option with software.

This all makes it probably double to 4 times the price even at their discount.

Appreciate the info, but yeah more basic DAC with gain control is really the key options.

Thanks

Early B.

Okay so I am looking for the unicorn maybe  :green: need a good quality yet simple DAC.

I thought I was the only one left on the planet who wanted a simple DAC. I'm interested in the responses, as well.

I don't need volume control, but everything else you listed is cool. I strictly spin CDs, so no need for all of that extra crap. However, I'm reluctant to buy an older DAC because the technological innovations in recent years may have rendered older DACs obsolete????  I don't know if that's the case, but that's been my experience with the past three or four DACs that I've owned.     

undertow

Early B,

You might want to review that border patrol above... definitely very nice for high end without the excess. I would put at top of the list accept it does not have the volume option.

jhm731

I.Greyhound Fan

undertow

That AudioLab is very nice!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Undertow,

I've got two ideas for you to consider. The first is the Sabaj D5. It was brought to my attention by Wushuliu. It utilizes the ESS9038 chip and has volume control with remote. I'm using one in my vacation system, and it sounds pretty darned good. I bought mine last month for $429. I have only played CD quality on it so far. It sounds good enough that I'll keep it.

My second idea is my old Gustard X20U DAC. It uses the ESS9018. This unit is sitting in its box in my closet not being used. I'm not sure what to ask for this - $300?? My X20u is sold.

Both DACs are capable of playing CD quality, but are also capable of playing hi-res PCM files and DSD tracks.

Michael
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2020, 08:17 am by mresseguie »

khill

Get a BorderPatrol DAC... for the money, the most musical DAC there is... Incredible power supply... solid copper chassis... both USB & S/PDIF available... you can turn-off the single EZ80 rectifier tube if you wish... See http://www.borderpatrol.net/DAC.htm

Very analogue sounding, like real music!

My $0.02,
Pete

I second this! Most musical cost effective DAC I’ve ever owned. Don’t let any of the stupid bullshit about measurements steer you away. Those idiots have no idea what they are talking about. Benn in my system for more than 2 years. Until recently upgrading to a Lampizator Amber 3 I have not heard digital sound sound so marvelous. You can listen for hours!

Rusty Jefferson

...However, I'm reluctant to buy an older DAC because the technological innovations in recent years may have rendered older DACs obsolete????   ......

Spot on. There are few if any dacs that are 10 years old + worth buying compared to current offerings. The original Berkeley Audio?  Meitner?  No volume control. 

Get a Microzotl to control volume, and a Border Patrol, Chord Qutest, Lampizator Amber, etc, and enjoy the music.  :D

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
The l.k.s. dac, it has dsd but you don't have to use it

Early B.

Many of the newer DACs have a smallish form factor which often indicates a puny power supply. DAC chips generally sound pretty good nowadays, but a higher end sound still requires a beefy power supply. My current DAC doesn't have a full size chassis, and I want to replace it with a hefty, amp-sized DAC.   

Stu Pitt

I’m going to go against the grain a little bit here...

Older DACs being obsolete? Define obsolete. Great sound is great sound. I still use my original Rega DAC (not DAC-r). It just sounds so right to my ears. I’ve heard plenty of current DACs, yet nothing has motivated me enough to “upgrade.” Its weakness is its usb implementation, but a Schiit Eitr usb-coax converter takes care of that. The DAC-r allegedly solved that shortcoming.

Solid power supplies, class A output, and solid re-clocking go a long way. It may be obsolete if one is looking for DSD, MQA, above 24/192, etc. Not looking for those formats, I find absolutely nothing obsolete about the music coming out of my speakers. I run a Bluesound Node 2, my Windows 10 laptop (although I haven’t used it much since getting the Node), and my Xbox One through it, depending on what I’m listening to. I’ve also ran CDPs as transports.

Sure there’s better out there. There was better when I first bought it, there’s better current stuff, and there will undoubtedly be better in the future. But at what price? I’ve also got a Theta Cobalt 307, which is a fair bit older, in a box in a closet, and that’s no slouch either. Limited to 48/16 and no USB. Run redbook through it, and it doesn’t sound obsolete either.

Newer doesn’t always mean better. Chips aren’t the only important thing in a DAC. Power supply and output devices are just as important IMO, perhaps more important. My only reservations in buying something a bit older would be its physical condition, can play the format(s) you need, and has the number of and input types you need. If usb is your main source, then newer will be better. If it’s s/pdif in its various types, I’m not sold on newer blowing away older. Just my opinions. Everyone’s ears are different.

charmerci

Many of the newer DACs have a smallish form factor which often indicates a puny power supply. DAC chips generally sound pretty good nowadays, but a higher end sound still requires a beefy power supply. My current DAC doesn't have a full size chassis, and I want to replace it with a hefty, amp-sized DAC.
I'm very partial to AVA   https://avahifi.com/collections/d-to-a-converters/products/dac-mk-5

Frank is always on top of the latest tech at great prices.
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2019, 06:04 pm by charmerci »