Tannoy Reveal 601P

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Tannoy Reveal 601P
« on: 13 May 2014, 07:41 am »
Has anyone tried Tannoy Reveal 601P speakers? 

Seem like a great value.

Apparently terrible off-axis but I wonder how they compare to other bookshelf speakers one may consider.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
Re: Tannoy Reveal 601P
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2014, 04:56 am »
How about Music Hall - Marimba

ericlp151

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2014, 12:32 pm »
Interesting Speakers.  I'm a fan of silk dome tweeters.   

Kinda of interested in what others are listening to on their amps...

Currently I'm listening: Kruder & Dorfmeister - 04- Bug Powder Dust but Jazz Master is a fav or mine.

To get back to speakers. I always wanted to build a pair of these. 

So I'll just leave this link here.  http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/bfb_e.html

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2014, 04:41 pm »
There's a lot of interesting stuff out there for the money these days.

The Kef Q300 is interesting although it seems that you need to spend around $1,000 (used) to get the "good stuff" (ie. LS50, R300).

I'm going over to WaveTouchAudio later (they're in LA) to check out what Alex is cooking.  The wave guides look gimmicky but who knows.

Seth

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2014, 05:44 pm »
the music hall is a nice little speaker, i wrote a review on it for stereomojo.  being cheap i have been watching for a good price on a used pair.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2014, 06:05 pm »
Great review, Marvin.

ltr317

« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2014, 02:27 am »

The Kef Q300 is interesting although it seems that you need to spend around $1,000 (used) to get the "good stuff" (ie. LS50, R300).

I'm going over to WaveTouchAudio later (they're in LA) to check out what Alex is cooking.  The wave guides look gimmicky but who knows.

Seth

Seth,

The KEF R300 is not cheap at $1,800 retail, though it could be a reference speaker for many people who could afford them.  I reviewed them for Dagogo and thought the R300 was one of the best monitor speakers (out of approx. 50) I've yet heard in my listening room. 

Cheers,
Paul

p.s. How's the family? 

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2014, 05:03 am »
Paul - thanks so much.  She hasn't left me yet.  I'm going to start a new thread re: Wave Touch Audio.  Alex has agreed to a tour.  Paul, you coming this way at the end of the month?  Alex will be in Newport.

ltr317

« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2014, 05:25 am »
Paul - thanks so much.  She hasn't left me yet.  I'm going to start a new thread re: Wave Touch Audio.  Alex has agreed to a tour.  Paul, you coming this way at the end of the month?  Alex will be in Newport.

Seth,

That's great to hear.  Your daughter keeping you up, or is she sleeping through the night?  Yeah, I'm attending all three days.  How did you like the Wave Touch?  I'm looking forward to hearing them at the show. 

Paul

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2014, 05:27 am »
Daughter is living the dream.  She's adorable like her ma.  How are you doing, Paul?

ltr317

« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2014, 04:33 pm »
Daughter is living the dream.  She's adorable like her ma.  How are you doing, Paul?

I'm sure she's growing by leaps and bounds.  I'm doing great, been traveling a lot this year.  Went to Axpona Chicago for the first time and really enjoyed the show.  I'll be staying a few extra days in CA and doing a museum tour with my friend Tom Dagostino whom you met briefly last year. 

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2014, 04:56 pm »
I'll try to visit on Sunday like last year.  I'm a bit less depressed since relaunch.

ltr317

« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2014, 09:26 pm »
I'll try to visit on Sunday like last year.  I'm a bit less depressed since relaunch.

That's great to hear.  Let's try to meet for a little while at least. 

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2014, 03:20 pm »
Wife got home last night and found "clutter" in the living room.

She suggested that we see a therapist because I was not "respecting" her.

Know a support group for wives battered by the sight of a half-shelf of electronics and pair of bookshelf speakers on stands + sub?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2014, 03:41 pm »
and the fun begins! :dance: :dance:

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2014, 08:11 am »
Re: counselling.

I agreed to store the speakers not "in-use" in a crevice next to the wall bed.  That and I agreed to go to a Billy Joel concert.  Wow, lyrics that aren't just self-loathing gibberish.  That guy is a class act.

Crisis averted in 90035.

The Music Hall Marimba just moved into the nearfield slot.  They play a lot like Jon Blues.  Light.  Fast.  Airy.  Laid back.

I'm a Jalokia guy.  If you're not crying a little, the meal is not totally satisfying.

So I really like my ears to bleed with dynamics, which is why the Wave Touch bat-mans are so special. 

But damn, it's very easy to listen to.  As Marvin said in his review, very musical.

I still miss my old Usher S-520s.  They're gathering dust at the in-laws.  Those things had that elastic bass punch.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2014, 07:18 pm »
Phew...........on the crisis  :thumb:

Seth I just put an Aune X1se DAC in my setup so its all solid state now.... my ONE and Piano M1 sound incredible all over again..lol...still using my JBL's.
Go grab the Ushers! Get back to your roots....hehe..... 8)  Just the fact that you mentioned them means you need them back.

ltr317

« Reply #17 on: 24 May 2014, 02:52 am »
Seth - Maybe you should rent a storage locker to avoid future conflicts.  :D

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #18 on: 25 May 2014, 08:13 pm »
Magnificent day play music in our living room.  She like Bare Naked Ladies.  So she got BNL.

I dug up Faithless Sunday.  Wow!  What a great album.

Vintage Billy Joel sounds rotten in this system.  Bad recordings.

Nnenna Freelon is amazing. 

Afrocelts Seed.  Classic.  Amazing.

Lenny Cohen, of course.

DS-21

« Reply #19 on: 26 May 2014, 03:46 am »

The Kef Q300 is interesting although it seems that you need to spend around $1,000 (used) to get the "good stuff" (ie. LS50, R300).***

The Q100 is a lot better than the Q300. It gives up some bass output (no extension that I could tell) for much better midrange performance. Perhaps a Q300 with a modded crossover that has a higher order and lower Fc would be as good as the Q100, or better. But stock to stock I honestly can't imagine someone with good ears hearing them play music back-to-back and walking out with the Q300.