Newbie Help - Ncore build

Rclark

Re: Newbie Help - Ncore build
« Reply #220 on: 27 Oct 2014, 08:41 am »
Another day in the world's longest Ncore build...

Ive decided to implement a front switch. Has anyone got any recommendations for something elegant?

Thanks!

Front switch? Why would you need a switch? They draw like 4 watts at idle. Finish them, you are missing out.

zenpmd

« Reply #221 on: 27 Oct 2014, 08:59 am »
According to Hypex it is actually 13w.

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #222 on: 27 Oct 2014, 09:08 am »
Ive decided to implement a front switch. Has anyone got any recommendations for something elegant?

For power or standby?

Rclark

« Reply #223 on: 27 Oct 2014, 09:09 am »

is it? Even 13 is a tiny amount. I wouldn't want to be turning them on and off all the time for such. The amps are tiny in the first place, so reaching behind to shut off is no big deal.

I was just struck by your comment about being a long build. Don't add flourishes at the expense of listening time, that's not the point :)

Julf

« Reply #224 on: 27 Oct 2014, 09:12 am »
According to Hypex it is actually 13w.

It depends on if you use the hypex power supplies or some other supply that doesn't provide power for the driver stage. If you use the hypex PS, idle power is 5 W lower.

Rclark

« Reply #225 on: 27 Oct 2014, 09:14 am »
It depends on if you use the hypex power supplies or some other supply that doesn't provide power for the driver stage. If you use the hypex PS, idle power is 5 W lower.

Ok, I was pretty sure it was about 4 watts.

Julf

« Reply #226 on: 27 Oct 2014, 09:33 am »
Well, the data sheet specifies 4.5W with a compatible power supply, 9.5W without. That is of course for the nc400, the SMPS dissipates another 5W.

Rclark

« Reply #227 on: 27 Oct 2014, 09:41 am »
Well, the data sheet specifies 4.5W with a compatible power supply, 9.5W without. That is of course for the nc400, the SMPS dissipates another 5W.

Ah, well, again, extremely efficient for something that balloons to 500 watts. A marvel. I leave them on  :thumb:

zenpmd

« Reply #228 on: 27 Oct 2014, 09:42 am »
I still think for longevity it must make sense to turn and on off to some degree. I have to turn them off anyway as my benchmark DAC sends a few volts down the line when it shuts off which can be loud when the power amps are on.

Julf

« Reply #229 on: 27 Oct 2014, 09:59 am »
I still think for longevity it must make sense to turn and on off to some degree. I have to turn them off anyway as my benchmark DAC sends a few volts down the line when it shuts off which can be loud when the power amps are on.

Right - but you have 3 choices. 1) actually witching the power on/off, 2) using the smps standby 3) using nAMPON on the nc400. 3) is easiest, 1) gives a 100% off, 2) is a good compromise but requires an external voltage source.

Rclark

« Reply #230 on: 27 Oct 2014, 10:41 am »

Longevity?

Tell you what, I will leave mine on forever, and I have a 3 year headstart, and you will shut yours off and on repeatedly, and we will compare notes at first burn out in 20 years or so.

You will have also have saved maybe $200 over those 2 decades by shutting them off.

zenpmd

« Reply #231 on: 27 Oct 2014, 11:25 am »
That avoids the DAC point though.

clpetersen

« Reply #232 on: 27 Oct 2014, 01:27 pm »
Another day in the world's longest Ncore build...

Thanks!
The Ghent case mentioned in the previous post does have an integral front switch. Note that these switches are not rated for mains power (i.e. 240 or 120 volts), but can be used for example to ground the nAMPON pin, turning off the amplifiers. Then you would be left with only the idle power of the power supply, a few watts.

Has anyone used nAMPON? is it 'graceful' or does it induce pops/clicks in the speakers? similarly for the power supply standby?

Julf

« Reply #233 on: 27 Oct 2014, 01:29 pm »
Has anyone used nAMPON? is it 'graceful' or does it induce pops/clicks in the speakers? similarly for the power supply standby?

The power supply standby is definitely "soft start".

forkliftHIFI

• Will forklift for Hi-Fi!
« Reply #234 on: 27 Oct 2014, 04:34 pm »
FWIW I leave my stereo nc400 on 24/7. No power switch.  I unplug it if i am going out of town for a few days or if there is a particularly bad thunderstorm.  Stays warm to the touch but not hot.  I bet if the silicon ray chassis had some ventilation holes in the bottom panel it would stay a lot cooler. 

Julf

« Reply #235 on: 27 Oct 2014, 04:35 pm »
FWIW I leave my stereo nc400 on 24/7. No power switch.  I unplug it if i am going out of town for a few days or if there is a particularly bad thunderstorm.  Stays warm to the touch but not hot.  I bet if the silicon ray chassis had some ventilation holes in the bottom panel it would stay a lot cooler.

Do you use either form of standby?

zenpmd

« Reply #236 on: 27 Oct 2014, 04:39 pm »
I think Im going to drill some massive holes in the top of my siliconray for that reason. I am not happy with the thermal performance

Old_School

« Reply #237 on: 27 Oct 2014, 09:24 pm »
I think I'm going to install a switch as I've been getting some transients through the system when the preamp goes through it's startup process. Is switching the nAMPON the most practical solution?

forkliftHIFI

« Reply #238 on: 28 Oct 2014, 04:16 am »
I think Im going to drill some massive holes in the top of my siliconray for that reason. I am not happy with the thermal performance

The holes need to be in the bottom panel on the opposite end of the case from the top holes.  Hot air will rise out the top and fresh air sucked in through the bottom to replace it.  Enlarging the top panel vents won't make much of a difference except maybe expose the boards to more risk of objects falling in there.  I have a fanless mini PC which uses this method of passive cooling and I leave it on 24/7. 

forkliftHIFI

« Reply #239 on: 28 Oct 2014, 04:19 am »
Do you use either form of standby?

Sorry I don't know.  I hired one of the builders.