Newbie Help - Ncore build

zenpmd

Re: Newbie Help - Ncore build
« Reply #201 on: 19 Oct 2014, 08:14 pm »
Thanks. I feel bad wasting so much. All I need is like 20cm!

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #202 on: 19 Oct 2014, 08:24 pm »
Fixed

Julf

« Reply #203 on: 19 Oct 2014, 08:25 pm »
Thanks. I feel bad wasting so much. All I need is like 20cm!

Just go to your local hardware store, buy 30 cm of regular 3x2.5mm mains cable, strip the outer rubber - and voila, 3 x 30 cm of nice wire :)

zenpmd

« Reply #206 on: 20 Oct 2014, 03:27 am »
Next question is what is the best way to terminate on these binding posts? Do I just wrap the speaker wire through the hole and then put a blob of solder on?

http://www.vhaudio.com/images/wbt-0703-wbt-0708.jpg

zenpmd

« Reply #207 on: 20 Oct 2014, 03:49 am »
And another question! In deciding on my XLR connectors and cables, Neutrik over both silver and gold. Whats the deal there? Google is so confusing on this point. The only thing that seems to come out is to make sure your metals match? Im not so worried about conductivity but oxidisation.

And on the oxidisation point, if I am after some machine screws for my XLR connection, can you use something like a copper screw or is stainless steel ok for conducting?

Julf

« Reply #208 on: 20 Oct 2014, 07:09 am »
OK cool. So something like this would work?

Don't see any reason why not.

Julf

« Reply #209 on: 20 Oct 2014, 07:12 am »
This is the solder I think I am going to get

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kester-Audiophile-Lead-free-solder-3-7-Silver-0-5mm-0-7mm-1-2mm-/291270696694?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&var=&hash=item43d1161ef6

Should be good - to be frank, at home I am still using the reel of multicore I got something like 15 years ago.

Julf

« Reply #210 on: 20 Oct 2014, 07:20 am »
And another question! In deciding on my XLR connectors and cables, Neutrik over both silver and gold. Whats the deal there? Google is so confusing on this point. The only thing that seems to come out is to make sure your metals match? Im not so worried about conductivity but oxidisation.

If you worry about oxidation, silver is a bad choice, as it forms silver sulphite. Copper, nickel or gold is better. If you disconnect and reconnect at least a couple of times a year, and maybe clean teh connectors every 5 years, it doesn't matter what metal you use.

And on the oxidisation point, if I am after some machine screws for my XLR connection, can you use something like a copper screw or is stainless steel ok for conducting?

Copper is far too soft, so it would be brass or steel, and steel works fine.

zenpmd

« Reply #211 on: 20 Oct 2014, 07:26 am »
I will only worry about oxidation if it matters :)

So are you saying it would matter more if you are connecting and disconnecting all the time?

Are there any real world benefits to silver?

Julf

« Reply #212 on: 20 Oct 2014, 07:37 am »
I will only worry about oxidation if it matters :)

So are you saying it would matter more if you are connecting and disconnecting all the time?

No, sort of the opposite. If you connect and disconnect all the time, you want to go copper or nickel, as any possible corrosion will be scraped off, and a gold layer will be worn off. If you never reconnect, you have a risk of oxidation (but only after years in normal indoor conditions). 

Are there any real world benefits to silver?

Silver has the lowest resistance when new, but sulphates very quickly spoil that.

zenpmd

« Reply #213 on: 20 Oct 2014, 07:41 am »
OK. So it sounds to me I will go gold on the XLR then. My binding posts are copper. I think my IEC inlet might be silver, which was a mistake most likely, but at the same time I am not sure oxidisation would matter there?

Julf

« Reply #214 on: 20 Oct 2014, 08:33 am »
OK. So it sounds to me I will go gold on the XLR then. My binding posts are copper. I think my IEC inlet might be silver, which was a mistake most likely, but at the same time I am not sure oxidisation would matter there?

You should be OK, but you might want to have a look at the condition of the IEC inlet after 6-12 months of operation.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #215 on: 20 Oct 2014, 01:58 pm »
You should be OK, but you might want to have a look at the condition of the IEC inlet after 6-12 months of operation.

I use DeoxIT pre and post solder joint.  I can't recommend it highly enough for this reason.  I also use it on every other contact point whether a wall socket or binding posts.  It really does work to protect. 

clpetersen

« Reply #216 on: 20 Oct 2014, 02:29 pm »
Following this thread. The twisting/braiding appears to be highly important and it seems people are using a far heavier gauge wire than is needed.
It is the total resistance that governs.  R = rho*L/A, where rho is resistivity. The ratio L/A (length area) is the important quantity.

If the attached link works (http://www.calmont.com/pdf/calmont-eng-wire-gauge.pdf), you will see that a 1.2 mm diameter wire (18 gauge) has just 0.002 ohms resistance per 10 cm, or 0.004 ohms for a 10 cm pair (current going out and back from speakers). This is negligible; about 0.1% of the outgoing power is consumed in this example (using a 4 ohm speaker) and it adds no distortion. For a 4 meter speaker run, you would need to use 2 gauge (10 mm diameter) wire for a similar loss. Some may do this, but it is absurd.

Hence, go with a lighter (say 16 gauge, 1.3 mm diameter), highly stranded wire (speaker wire comes to mind) and concentrate on the twisting and wire orientations as recommended by Julf.

As far as solders and connectors, do try to avoid dissimilar metals, but if it can't be avoided use (carefully) a conductive (anti-corrosion) grease. People use it in marine electronics for a reason.
Do NOT use 'dielectric grease' - it is insulating and meant for high voltage applications (like an engine spark plug). Avoid zinc-bearing greases. I use No-Ox, inherited from my Dad, who used on our boats from the 1960's onwards. Cheap enough, and you can pass it on to your kids.  From their web-site:

"Stereo enthusiasts and hobbyists love NO-OX-ID...

How hobbyists and some companies use NO-OXID A-Special, and some Testimonials:
1.NO-OXID A-Special works absolute wonders on audio connections, especially on those pesky RCA connectors that tend to corrode on the inner surfaces of the ground shell, 1/4 phone and even USB connectors
2.Telephones – Telephone companies have been using NO-OX-ID for seventy years.
3.Tinning stranded wires destined for mechanical compression-type connectors defeats the purpose of the mechanical compression. When you insert a set of bare copper wires that are clean and protected with stuff like NO-OX-ID into a speaker thread-type compression connector, the resultant force of the compression on all the strands is what makes a good connection.
4.A quote from a Bell Systems manual on making a connection: "The mating surfaces of the connection shall be burnished to a bright metallic finish and coated with a thin layer of NO-OX-ID anticorrosion paste to preserve continuity indefinitely."

Julf

« Reply #217 on: 20 Oct 2014, 02:34 pm »
A quote from a Bell Systems manual on making a connection: "The mating surfaces of the connection shall be burnished to a bright metallic finish and coated with a thin layer of NO-OX-ID anticorrosion paste to preserve continuity indefinitely."

And they did know a think or two about long-term reliability in harsh conditions...

clpetersen

« Reply #218 on: 23 Oct 2014, 12:31 pm »
FYI, also posted in the components thread:

Ghent Audio (http://www.ghentaudio.com) will be modifying their case (now for ICE modules) to be NC400 and SMPS 600 ready:

I think their case is a little more refined than the SiliconRay equivalent.

"Hi,

We will have new design case-kit, specific for NC400 and SMPS600 soon, about half month later.

I will let you know once finishing production.

Greeting,
Ghent"

zenpmd

« Reply #219 on: 27 Oct 2014, 08:34 am »
Another day in the world's longest Ncore build...

Ive decided to implement a front switch. Has anyone got any recommendations for something elegant?

Thanks!