Newbie Help - Ncore build

zenpmd

Newbie Help - Ncore build
« on: 19 Mar 2014, 09:26 am »
Hi all

I build my own computers and I figured building my amp would be similarly straight forward, but I feel so confused! I've never soldered before, and I cannot really work out what to do with the Hypex datasheets!!! Is there any online guide somewhere, step by step, tips? I just don't know to start...Thanks

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Newbie Help - Ncore build
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2014, 10:59 am »
Hi all

I build my own computers and I figured building my amp would be similarly straight forward, but I feel so confused! I've never soldered before, and I cannot really work out what to do with the Hypex datasheets!!! Is there any online guide somewhere, step by step, tips? I just don't know to start...Thanks
Not really an online guide but we can help.  Buy your stuff and ask away when the question(s) arise.  The only thing you really need to solder will be the binding posts.  Other than that, it's really not a big deal whatsoever.  If you can build computers, you can do this. 

There are a few threads in this circle that are stickied that can help with parts selection.  But feel free in making this your build thread.   :D

Nick77

« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2014, 11:23 am »
There are also a few experienced Ncore builders here who are willing to assemble your amp for small fee.

zenpmd

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2014, 12:25 pm »
Thanks so much guys. I will write everything I have done so far/need to know further once I have gathered my thoughts this afternoon. Everything is already bought and sitting in our spare room...! :)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2014, 01:13 pm »
Thanks so much guys. I will write everything I have done so far/need to know further once I have gathered my thoughts this afternoon. Everything is already bought and sitting in our spare room...! :)
Great.  Ask away.

zenpmd

« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2014, 04:52 pm »
Ok so I have tried to look at how everything fits together and have the following questions/assumptions. I am super grateful for any input as I feel out of my depth here!

1. Black 4 pin on SMPS is plugged in, once stripped, where does this wire into? What does this cable do?

2. Black 12 pin on SMPS presumably just plugs into black 12pin on amp right? What does this cable do?

3. 7 pin white connector plus into 7 pin white on amp, but cannot see a space for it on SMPS? What does this cable do?

4. 3 pin white with a brown and blue cable plugged into amp where does this wire into when stripped? What does this cable do?

5. There is one cable that is not clear to be at all, which is a black 12 pin with loose wires on the other end. What does this do?

5. With soldering, what temp shall I use, which flux, and which soldering material?

6. I'd like to buy some wire to practice stripping with, what should I ask for in the shop?

7. I hear of people talking (from my research months ago) about twisted wire of some sort? What is this?

8. I have the power connectors for the case, two XLR connections (I will be use Vam Damme cables),  and speaker connections. Is there anything else I need to buy?

I am using the siliconray cases, and eventually system will be connected to a Benchmark Dac2 (and Anthony Gallo Speakers).

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2014, 02:05 pm by zenpmd »

zenpmd

« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2014, 02:04 pm »
So yes, I'm definately stupid as I bought the connections from Hypex and not silicon ray so they are on order now!! I will delete that question above. Help on the other stuff much apreciated!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2014, 02:42 pm »
Your NC400 should have come with this and your SMPS should have come with this. 

All the answers to those connector questions are in those sheets.  If for some reason you are not able to find them, we can try to help but it's very simple. 

This thread should help you immensely too.

zenpmd

« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2014, 05:58 pm »
Thanks. I hadnt seen these as they did not come with my package for some reason so I wil read and digest.

One quick question, as I dont yet have an IEC for the siliconray, do you know what I can buy that will fit the screw holes? Thanks

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 22 Mar 2014, 06:01 pm »
One quick question, as I dont yet have an IEC for the siliconray, do you know what I can buy that will fit the screw holes? Thanks
See post #1 here unless you have something special.

zenpmd

« Reply #10 on: 23 Mar 2014, 07:33 am »
Thanks. So IECs have a standard screw arrangement right?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 23 Mar 2014, 12:19 pm »
Thanks. So IECs have a standard screw arrangement right?
No.  You must check the data sheets for each IEC vs the Silicon Ray Case you have.

zenpmd

« Reply #12 on: 24 Mar 2014, 06:28 am »
What is annoying is that Furutech, for example, provide no such data!

http://www.furutech.com/2013/02/03/7750/

srb

« Reply #13 on: 24 Mar 2014, 06:50 am »
What is annoying is that Furutech, for example, provide no such data!

I don't know why datasheets can't be found on the Furutech website, but Parts Connexion has datasheets for many of the Furutech products.  For example, here is one for the FI-33 IEC:
http://www.partsconnexion.com/prod_pdf/ftech_71044.pdf

The dimensioning is a bit hard to read, but it's there.

Steve

zenpmd

« Reply #14 on: 24 Mar 2014, 10:41 am »
Thanks guys. I had a hard time finding a 40mm screw pitch but I got it!

http://www.revolutionpower.com/p/Oyaide+IEC-CM+174-R+IEC+Silver+Rhodium+Chassis+Inlet/94/

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 24 Mar 2014, 11:26 am »
Thanks guys. I had a hard time finding a 40mm screw pitch but I got it!

http://www.revolutionpower.com/p/Oyaide+IEC-CM+174-R+IEC+Silver+Rhodium+Chassis+Inlet/94/
Onto the next step!

zenpmd

« Reply #16 on: 24 Mar 2014, 12:39 pm »
Haha!

Progress is slow! This stupid silicon ray case is causing more effort than they are worth, as I was going to buy some WBT binding posts except they need 11.5mm whereas siliconray is 10mm, so I found some cheap ones and ordered those. I could have got the drill out but I am trying to focus on what is important at this stage, getting the thing up and running! So internal speaker cable, IECs, and binding posts are on their way. I already have xlr cables and connections.

I won't worry about this now but I've spent time this morning looking at IECs with built in filters, are they worth it?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 24 Mar 2014, 12:41 pm »
I won't worry about this now but I've spent time this morning looking at IECs with built in filters, are they worth it?
Not for these IMO.

zenpmd

« Reply #18 on: 24 Mar 2014, 12:46 pm »
Is that because noise reduction is built into the design of the power supply/amp itself?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: 24 Mar 2014, 12:48 pm »
Is that because noise reduction is built into the design of the power supply/amp itself?
Yes, you can do it and it probably wouldn't do any harm but it's not needed IMO. In fact, many have reported that the amps subjectively sound better when powered directly from the wall.