Original Sub in Kit Form?

Rory B.

Original Sub in Kit Form?
« on: 14 Aug 2004, 09:58 pm »
Is the Original Subwoofer available in kit form? I can build great cabinets and I am looking for a subwoofer to go with a friend's new home theater system. I am looking for dual 8 ohm coils, Megawoofer. Also, what size of amplifier do you recommend?

Another Question: Foam Rot. How long can I expect the Passive Radiator on the VMPS Larger Sub to last before it must be refoamed?

John Casler

Re: Original Sub in Kit Form?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2004, 06:55 pm »
Quote from: Rory B.
Is the Original Subwoofer available in kit form? I can build great cabinets and I am looking for a subwoofer to go with a friend's new home theater system. I am looking for dual 8 ohm coils, Megawoofer. Also, what size of amplifier do you recommend?

Another Question: Foam Rot. How long can I expect the Passive Radiator on the VMPS Larger Sub to last before it must be refoamed?

Hi Rory,

The New Original Kit (without cabinet) is $175.  Megawoofer is $70 extra

I would suggest you select your amp according to use.

Music only low volume might be 150wpc
Loud music might need 200wpc
HT use might need at least 250wpc

Personally I like a minimum of 300wpc for all uses and find that the more power, the cleaner and stronger the bass is.

Many find the QSC and Crown pro amps work well.

I supply a lot of clients with bridged Parasound or CineNova (both around 600wpc)

I have never seen any aging PR problems (but they might exist).  I have a LARGER that must be at least 10 years old and the PR is just fine.