RM30 biamping Q: Okay to (nearly) max out the RM30 pots?

andy_c

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to do a biamp setup with my new RM30's.  I'm using an NAD C162 preamp, which has a neat biamping feature.   There are two pairs of preamp outputs, and the relative level of one pair of outputs with respect to the other is adjustable via a pot on the back of the unit.

So it would seem that for maximum efficiency, the pots on the back of the RM30's could be nearly maxed out.  That is, either the mid or tweeter pot would be completely maxed out, and the other pot would be turned down a bit to adjust for the relative level of the ribbons with respect to the tweeter.  The relative level of the midrange/tweeter combo to the woofers could then be adjusted via the pot on the back of the C162 preamp.  This would minimize the power dissipation in the pots of the RM30.

So the question I have is, "Is thare any downside to this?".  If the pots were a simple resistor in series with the driver for example, adjusting the pots would affect the impedance seen by the crossover network and could mess things up if the crossover were designed around small deviations of the pot setting from its nominal.  Can I max out the pots without adversely affecting the performance of the crossover network?

Thanks

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
pots
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2004, 08:30 pm »
The pots are constant-impedance devices, you can turn them all the way up.  Once you have set levels for biamping use the  pots for micro-adjustments around 4:30-5 o'clock.

andy_c

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2004, 10:04 pm »
Cool!  Thanks Brian.  Really looking forward to setting these up when I get the new preamp next Saturday.

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2004, 03:46 am »
Can I max out the pots without adversely affecting the performance of the crossover network?

I believe under heavy (High current) use, the pots are healthier when set at 12:00 or higher