MY RM 40's Sounded Awesome Today!!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« on: 16 Jul 2004, 10:31 pm »
At the risk of setting myself up for tomorrow's gathering, I would like to go on record saying how INCREDIBLY HAPPY AND GREAT SOUNDING MY RM 40'S ARE!!  :dance:  :dance:

Horseheard (aka the master PR tuner) was over and together we spent a few hours tweaking the system (mostly playing with the PR).  Besides tweaking, we did bi-amp the 40's with a second set of 201's.  

Before anybody goes there...the system was already sounding very, very, good with a single set of 201's.  The second set just took it to a different level.

Right now, the system has a perfect balance of dynamics, details, soundstage, and musicality.  Female voices sent a shiver down my spine, drums had such attack that it made you blink, and the speakers simply disappeared leaving behind a wall of sound.

I know on other threads people are discussing internal components, cabinets,  etc...  I just wanted to let everybody know that regardless of all the other stuff, when properly set up, VMPS speakers can sound AWESOME!!

Let's see what the gang thinks tomorrow....

George

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2004, 10:42 pm »
So what did you do to the pr????  Add ?? subtract??? How much??? and How much did you subtract when you "tuned them"

Thanks,

Larry

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2004, 11:01 pm »
Quote from: lkosova
So what did you do to the pr????  Add ?? subtract??? How much??? and How much did you subtract when you "tuned them"

Thanks,

Larry

Larry,

I will take a pic and post later.  Since each speaker needs to be configured differently depending on a multitude of factors, I am not sure how much seeing my amount of putty removed will help.

George

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2004, 11:35 pm »
Before anybody goes there...the system was already sounding very, very, good with a single set of 201's. The second set just took it to a different level.

That's gonna cost ya :lol:  :lol:

I have client who is going to bi-amp a pair of RM/x's with  4 AMPzilla 2K's.

Sometimes "enough" just isn't "ENOUGH" :wink:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2004, 11:40 pm »
John,

It will be tough to give up the second pair of 201's but it isn't in the budget for right now...

Let's see what others think tomorrow.  I will run the 40's with in both ways and let the results speak for themselves.

I really want to hear the Ampzillas...how about convincing James to allow auditions?  I just can't pull the trigger on something like that without hearing them first.

George

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2004, 11:40 pm »
TWO 201s?  Dang!  I'm actually thinking of buying another #10.  I really like this amp, but two have to be better than one!  Can't wait to hear it tomorrow!

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jul 2004, 11:47 pm »
Bob,

A couple of teasers...

See you tomorrow.

George

Marbles

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2004, 12:05 am »
George, did you say you are hanging the foam on the speakers with painters tape?

The painters tape I have is single sided, do you have two sided tape?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jul 2004, 12:17 am »
I just folded the tape over onto itself.

Once I get around to it, I will make this look much nicer.

George

lkosova

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jul 2004, 12:37 am »
I will take a pic and post later. Since each speaker needs to be configured differently depending on a multitude of factors, I am not sure how much seeing my amount of putty removed will help.

GEORGE,

I don't need to see what you did I was just curious what made them sound better to YOU  :?:

I am putting some final touches on my Rm-30's that I just got and after adding in the sub (these speakers with the 6.5 woofers, really don't need a sub for most music) I needed to turn up the midrange just a hair and remove one more fingernail full of Mortite and BAM the blend was there.

Just curious what you did to get you there.

Larry

Horsehead

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jul 2004, 01:02 am »
George's system was really sounding good today!  I wound up spending an extra hour just listening at the end.

When I first arrived it sounded good, but I wasn't too happy with the bass (no slam, no detail,), the midbass seemed and little weak and vocals had the slightest edge to them. I was honest with George since it does him no good if I just shake my head like a puppet that his system sounds great.

I asked him where his pots were set at and he said "pretty high".  They were really high (almost maxed) and I thought we should try lowering them to about 2 o'clock each. System sounded like CRAP after that.  No good. Settings went back to original places (we marked the settings on painter's tape we attached next to each pot).

I put all the putty George had taken out back in and started from scratch.  We played some fun double bass, drum, and organ tracks until we got it sounding like it should. I took out very small amounts of putty  until the bass got really good with one Rowland 201. Much, much better than when I arrived.  We then biamped with the second 201 and since George was using the Sonoran speaker cable on the bass, I tweaked with the putty a little more.  I removed one small fingernail full from each speaker, and I swear- you could hear the whole system "lock" into place- amazing. Bass, midbass, and vocals went from good to STUNNING.

I would agree with everything George stated above.  His guests are in for a real treat tomorrow.  Bravo, George!

George- any word on the Quantum?  (It might be a secret weapon in George's system  :lol: )

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jul 2004, 01:03 am »
Larry,

I just spent part of the late afternoon helping a friend tune his RM 30's.  I agree that they are quite nice (although I do feel like they are missing depth and impact as compared to the 40's and would benefit form a sub).

In terms of the putty and pots...

My pots are set very high (around 5:00), but anything lower and the soundstage collapses and the sound gets harsh and less musical.

In terms of putty, we put it all back on and just slowly removed/added until things just locked in.  As you probably know...you just know when it is right.  Many times we had it good, but BAM!!  It is a different result when it locks in.  

We used the following music for testing purposes:

Rusted Root - When I Woke
Ben Harper - Fight For Your Mind
Bozzio Levin Stevens - Black Light Syndrome
Super Double Bass - The Artistry of Gary Karr
Sheffield Lab - Drum and Track Disc

George

Horsehead

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jul 2004, 01:06 am »
Beat you to the punch George :!:  :guns:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 17 Jul 2004, 01:09 am »
Thanks again for today Frank!   :beer:

I am just about to listen to Ben Harper with the Quantam off.  Did you notice a difference in your system with only one Quantam there?

Too bad you can't be here tomorrow.

George

lkosova

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jul 2004, 01:12 am »
George,

I agree with your assement of using a sub with the RM-30's I just don't think they are needed with "all" music depending on your tastes. I have another larger sub to go but will play with one larger for the moment.

MY new Cary preamp and DVD 6 player just arrived but they need about 300 hours of breakin so that will start tommarow. I have a client coming on Saturday to take a listen so I don't want to have to retweak tonight but....Saturday night I might give it a go.

Pots at 5:00????  I think I just heard Brian scream!!!  But I know you know good sound when you hear it.

Have Fun at your listening session tommarow. Wish you were closer to the Windy City.

Larry

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 17 Jul 2004, 01:27 am »
Larry,

I know that is very high, but it works in my room.   :?:

When I was tuning my friend's 30's today I left with the pots a tad below 3:00pm.  He is using a Philly Blues tube preamp and a Sherbourn 5/1500A amps with 4 channels going to the 30's in a bi-amp config.

The system sounded very closed in and lacking in snap with the pots lower.

George

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
customers
« Reply #16 on: 17 Jul 2004, 01:42 am »
Nice to have a happy customer today.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 17 Jul 2004, 01:50 am »
Brian,

Make that VERY HAPPY!!   :beer:

The music I heard today makes this whole hobby fun and enjoyable.

George

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 17 Jul 2004, 01:55 am »
I actually don't post much about my 40's for the simple reason that everyday I am extremely happy with their sound.  The way I have them tuned may not fit everyone's taste, but it fits my taste to a "T", and I'm listening to a wiiiide variety of music on them.  Everything sounds great.  So count me in as another completely satisfied customer.

Marbles

« Reply #19 on: 17 Jul 2004, 02:20 am »
Pots at 1:00, completely satisfied RM40 owner here.

Very happy with my RM30 and 626R's as well (HT only).