DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core

thyname

Re: DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core
« Reply #40 on: 26 Aug 2017, 12:38 pm »
I bought a $329 power supply from Channel Island Audio, but in a fit of simplifying sold it (improvements were very subtle in my system).  Reportedly the DSPeaker switching power supply is quite good.  Note that Benchmark purposely avoids using linear power supplies.  Note also that the DSPeaker uses a 2.1 mm power supply connector and many add on power supplies use 2.5 mm connectors, so an adapter may be needed.

I bought a super cheap USB B to USB mini B adapter from Monoprice (my go to for cheap/quality, what they call premium, cabling solutions) to go with my 10ft long USB cable, but the DSPeaker should have come with a short/cheap USB A to USB mini B cable.

I use my DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core for USB and optical inputs for up to 250 Hz DSP, DAC, and preamp.

Can you clarify the last paragraph please? Are you using the Anti-Mode 2.0 as a DAC/Preamp?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #41 on: 26 Aug 2017, 12:43 pm »
Can you clarify the last paragraph please? Are you using the Anti-Mode 2.0 as a DAC/Preamp?

Yes, using all it's features except for analog input and very pleased.  More detailed and less digital sounding than my $500 Emotiva DC-1.  On par with $2200 Schiit Freya/Gungnir MB (with matched NOS tubes) in a smaller package that I can leave powered up.  By "on par" the Schiit pair made great recordings sound noticeably better (the goal of audiophiles) but punished poor recordings (of music I still like).  Plus of course it adds DSP features.  Note that I use the DSP function primarily as a baffle step compensation for the my single driver speakers which affords a direct connection from mono-blocks to the drivers.

thyname

« Reply #42 on: 26 Aug 2017, 12:49 pm »

Yes, using all it's features except for analog input.

Thanks! No preamp / DAC other than the Anti-Mode?

For those using it with an existing preamp, do you volume control on Anti_mode or preamp?

JLM

« Reply #43 on: 26 Aug 2017, 01:00 pm »
Thanks! No preamp / DAC other than the Anti-Mode?

For those using it with an existing preamp, do you volume control on Anti_mode or preamp?

Nope, I run a very simple system (as simple as MacBook > DSPeaker > active monitors).  But while trying out the Schiit Freya/Gungnir MB did connect in every conceivable configuration I could practically imagine.

Which volume control you use is up to you in your system.  Many audiophiles have preferences for one type/brand of volume control over another.  Some preamps sound best at mid-volume settings.  Try it for yourself.  Of course convenience is another factor.  The DSPeaker has a cheap remote that doesn't work the best, which is a gripe mine, especially as the only means of control.  I understand universal remotes can replace it.

thyname

« Reply #44 on: 26 Aug 2017, 04:07 pm »
OK, crossovers part is very confusing.

http://www.dspeaker.com/en/technology/anti-mode-technology/anti-mode-20-dual-core-connection-examples.shtml

Can someone confirm/ deny that the crossovers on the Anti-Mode can be used in a 2.2 system (2 speakers and 2 subs) with no preamp? I removed my preamp, and now the Anti-Mode is doing the preamp and DAC duties, feeding it with USB cable from my streamer.

Thanks!

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #45 on: 26 Aug 2017, 05:30 pm »
From their site regarding this configuration: "in this setup the cross-over of the subwoofer must be used instead of ones in Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core."  This does not say "the ones" but means there are none for this configuration.  Should not be an issue if using full  range speakers.

thyname

« Reply #46 on: 26 Aug 2017, 05:49 pm »
From their site regarding this configuration: "in this setup the cross-over of the subwoofer must be used instead of ones in Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core."  This does not say "the ones" but means there are none for this configuration.  Should not be an issue if using full  range speakers.

Thanks for chiming in.

I realize that, but I thought this was the case only when using a separate preamp.

Logically one would think that when using the AM DC2.0 as a preamp, some form of active crossover on AM would exist for speakers vs. subs. After all, there are four analog outputs on it, two for speakers (via amp) and two for subwoofers. Also, there is a full Crossover Menu in the AM with all kind of filters. Is it there just for fun? I think I am missing something. Or maybe active crossover on AM (speakers vs. subwoofer) is simply not possible, external preamp or not. Not a big deal, but nice feature to have. I would love to get any definitive answer on this.

JLM

« Reply #47 on: 27 Aug 2017, 12:28 pm »
DSP functions from the DSPeaker only affects frequencies below 500 Hz, but the entire signal (with or without DSP added - your choice) is sent to both pair of analog outputs.  Note that your mains (main speakers) will no doubt have output below 200 Hz (probably much less), so both the mains and the subs would be effected by the DSPing.

When setting up mains with subwoofers, I'd start without any DSP and proceed to use the subwoofer's low-pass (upper frequency limit) crossover (or preamp with crossover filters for the subs) to obtain the best blending, then run the combination through the DSPeaker's DSP miking setup to achieve the combined effect (final solution). 

Escott1377

« Reply #48 on: 28 Aug 2017, 12:48 pm »
Got mine yesterday. First impressions are positive. I like what it produces, although it will take while to get used to. There are certain areas of the sound that are different than what I am used to without correction.

Did the advanced correction extended to 500 HZ .

One thing I can't seem to figure out is which volume control to use, AM DC 2.0 or at my Preamp?

I have all in Analog:

Preamp (Rotel RC-1590) to Anti-Mode via XLR. Then XLR out on AM to Amp (Rotel RB-1590), and RCA out on AM to subwoofers (dual PSA S1500s)

From the connection diagram on the website, it looks like speakers are getting full signal, and crossovers adjusted on the subs.

A couple of other questions:

1 - Where to I buy a USB A to Mini B cable? I would like to try the anti-mode as DAC / Preamp, so that I can also test its crossover capabilities on the speakers AND subs.

2 - Can you recommend a 12 volt linear power supply? I love LPS-1 from Uptone (I have three of them in my systems), but they don't do 12 volts.

Thanks!

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/asr-sl-11a-xtr

thyname

« Reply #49 on: 29 Aug 2017, 02:39 pm »
I have it up and running.

First impressions are very positive on this. Just using the Autocorrect but in advanced mode to 500 HZ . The result after the correction is.... let's just say... different. The "boom" in the mid to upper bass is removed, which allows more detail to be heard on that region. It also reduces the "3D " aspect of music, for lack of better term. In other words, some of the "echo" that I guess is produced by the room, not the speakers is gone / reduced. At first I was worried on this, as I thought that it ruined my overall resolution, but after many hours I realized this is a good thing. The small remote lets you turn the correction on and off with a press of the button for a/b purposes. Very cool. Still experimenting, especially with my dual subs crossovers, gain, delay and room size settings, I must have run the test 12 times. I will keep experimenting. Next step is to get a linear 12 volt DC power supply. Majority of reviews recommend this. Let me know if you have any questions. Overall, I had a positive weekend with my new toy. It is NOT going back for sure.

Escott1377

« Reply #50 on: 29 Aug 2017, 03:23 pm »
Glad to hear you are happy w/ your purchase, but... :o

I have heard the next gen is the "bee's knees" but comes w/ a much heftier price tag - somewhere in the $3k range. 

My memory is shit but I thought it would be a Q4 release this year.

I suspect some vendors will offer a trade in for the upgrade, but I am hesitant to be the 1st man on the block to work out any firmware issues.

Enjoy the new toy - you will be exceptionally surprised after a few weeks when your hears have become accustomed to the sound.  Turning the correction on and off will be like night and day.

Escott1377

« Reply #51 on: 29 Aug 2017, 03:30 pm »
And here is a pic of the power supply I am using FWIW...

thyname

« Reply #52 on: 29 Aug 2017, 03:47 pm »
Glad to hear you are happy w/ your purchase, but... :o

I have heard the next gen is the "bee's knees" but comes w/ a much heftier price tag - somewhere in the $3k range. 

My memory is shit but I thought it would be a Q4 release this year.

I suspect some vendors will offer a trade in for the upgrade, but I am hesitant to be the 1st man on the block to work out any firmware issues.

Enjoy the new toy - you will be exceptionally surprised after a few weeks when your hears have become accustomed to the sound.  Turning the correction on and off will be like night and day.

Thanks! I am aware of the X4 coming soon, but was not willing to wait. They keep saying it is "coming soon" since late 2015.

One thing that I am not sure yet is which one to use in terms of adjusting the Volume: lower the volume on AM to min, and work with my preamp (Rotel RC-1590) Volume and vice versa.

In terms of power supply, I am looking at a Teddy Pardo 12volt /  3a. Used for about $150

Escott1377

« Reply #53 on: 29 Aug 2017, 04:36 pm »
I work from my home office so I just went and checked and I leave the volume set to 0 on the Dspreaker and then allow my preamp to take control.

thyname

« Reply #54 on: 29 Aug 2017, 05:16 pm »
I work from my home office so I just went and checked and I leave the volume set to 0 on the Dspreaker and then allow my preamp to take control.

Thanks! You most likely know that zero setting on Anti-Mode is half way through (they start at negative, go to zero, then positive values).

That's where I have mine right now.

Escott1377

« Reply #55 on: 29 Aug 2017, 07:01 pm »
From my "assumption" which I hate to assume, I would think you would be adding or removing gain from zero.

I use a pair of 300B mesh plates in my pre so I prefer as much sound across them as possible.

Pretty sure I went thru a lot of this w/ Walter @ Underwood when I bought my unit.

Like I said, memory gets hazy with age and kids...

thyname

« Reply #56 on: 29 Aug 2017, 07:07 pm »
From my "assumption" which I hate to assume, I would think you would be adding or removing gain from zero.

You might be 100% right on this! I did not think about add / remove gain from Zero settings. Thank you!

thyname

« Reply #57 on: 15 Sep 2017, 04:27 pm »
Do you guys know whether a double A -> D -> A conversion is going on with my setup and Anti-Mode?

I have a Preamp with DAC built in (Rotel RC-1590) before the Anti-Mode. So Rotel RC-1590 Preamp XLR out to Anti-Mode XLR Inputs. Then Anti-Mode XLR out to Amp XLR inputs, and Anti-Mode RCA out to dual subwoofers.

If that's the case, which DAC is being used? The one in Rotel RC-1590 or on the Anti-Mode? Or both?

This is confusing...

Escott1377

« Reply #58 on: 15 Sep 2017, 05:13 pm »
No.

You have to feed the device a digital signal for any D > A conversion to take place.

By your description, you are not running any digital signal thru the DSpeaker, only analog.

thyname

« Reply #59 on: 15 Sep 2017, 05:18 pm »
No.

You have to feed the device a digital signal for any D > A conversion to take place.

By your description, you are not running any digital signal thru the DSpeaker, only analog.

I really hope so. But I am not convinced.

Logic behind my doubts: if I feed a DSP with an analog signal it has to convert that analog signal back to digital in order to do it's DSP magic, and then must convert that digital signal back to analog. No? Which means, if I am using a DAC before my Anti-Mode (which I am) then that is whats happening?

Basically:

Source -> DAC -> ADC -> DSP -> DAC -> Speakers

True?

I emailed DSPeaker directly with this, but they are usually slow in responding, and often don't respond at all, depending on the complexity of the the question. @JLM