Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #140 on: 12 Apr 2009, 10:01 pm »
If you're into the blues, John Lee Hooker's CD of "Chill Out" is VERY good sound quality.
I forgot all about him until he revolved through the SqueezeBox playlist.
NICE:thumb:

Bob

ardee

« Reply #141 on: 12 Apr 2009, 10:17 pm »
I do enjoy me some keb mo also.   While I do not know of the recording quality of his work I feel Eric Bibb is another great that to me is in the same vein as Keb Mo.   Maybe others will know.    While I am at it I don't want to derail the thread from its purpose but would love to know if anyone knows of the quality of Rodrigo y Gabriella (sp?)?     I cannot get enough of these two.
Thanks
Robert

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #142 on: 12 Apr 2009, 11:23 pm »
Yes, Eric Bibb is another one of my favorites for sound quality, and overall "good blues tunes".
I was waiting for Alex to recover from our barrage of recommendations before I gave that one.  :lol:

I've got:

- "A Ship Called Love" {Good sound quality, very nice}
- "Home to Me" {This one sounds compressed. Not my first recommendation, unless you're a HUGE Eric Bibb fan}
- "Painting Signs" {Again, sounds slightly compressed. Not as bad as "Home to Me" though.
- "Friends" {This is neat. It's a bunch of duets with other blues artists. Acceptable sound quality, kinda, sometimes. Some tunes sound like they're actually clipping. Much like the duets where performed at different times, at different locations, with different engineers at the controls. Some tunes are GREAT, some are horrible. Good music with noteworthy artists, worth having if you're a fan of the blues, or a Mr. Bibb fan}.

Overall, Eris Bibb has some darn good blues tunes. I like Eric a lot, although he does get a little preachy about "peace, love and happiness, anti-war, anti-fighting" kinda lyrics. But good music depending on how you feel about that sort of thing.

Bob

EDIT: Never heard of Rodrigo y Gabriella

ardee

« Reply #143 on: 12 Apr 2009, 11:36 pm »
Great to hear about Eric Bibb.   I cant wait to get my speakers.

ok Had to check the disc to make sure I had the name right and I did.    If you are a fan of acoustic guitar, Mexican style/flamenco and I do not no how to describe the rest that makes up there music you have got to check them out.    These guys jam.  I bought both there cds which actually come with dvds.    It is some guitar music at its best (I do not know enough nor do I have the experience to say they are the best and I wouldn't.)   I find the Live from Japan album has a little more energy (surprise its a concert) but this music for me is infectious.   Driving my wife crazy.

Beautiful music a must to check out.    I just hope the quality of recording is there for my new ordered speakers.

Rocket

« Reply #144 on: 12 Apr 2009, 11:39 pm »
Hi,

Is this thread about the best recordings or what music you like?  Lets just list really top notch cd's.

Btw I bought Robert Plant/Alison Krauss 'Raising Sand" cd and it is well recorded.  Garbage in garbage out really describes the sound of Salk speakers when listening to poorly recorded music.

Regards

Rod

Edit:  Btw thanks Bob for the recommendation I'll check that cd out.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #145 on: 12 Apr 2009, 11:40 pm »
Hi,

Is this thread about the best recordings or what music you like?  Lets just list really top notch cd's.

Btw I bought Robert Plant/Alison Krauss 'Raising Sand" cd and it is well recorded.  Garbage in garbage out really describes the sound of Salk speakers when listening to poorly recorded music.

Regards

Rod

You should hear it in 24/96...YUMMY!!

George

Rocket

« Reply #146 on: 12 Apr 2009, 11:43 pm »
Hi George,

Where can I purchase a 24/96 version from?

Btw thanks for your recommendation of Salk speakers last year.  It was a great leap of faith buying and shipping them to Australia.  One of the few products I've purchase OS that the hype is confirmed.

Regards

Rod

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #147 on: 12 Apr 2009, 11:46 pm »
Hi George,

Btw thanks for your recommendation of Salk speakers last year.  It was a great leap of faith buying and shipping them to Australia.  One of the few products I've purchase OS that the hype is confirmed.

Regards

Rod

Rod,

You can buy it from HDtracks:

http://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD011661907522

As for the Salks...that was an easy recommendation.

George

ardee

« Reply #148 on: 13 Apr 2009, 12:00 am »
From my understand this thread is about Outstanding Demo CDs.     Just throwing out an addition to the type of music that went with the same style as Keb Mo.

While I did state I did not want to derail the thread from its original purpose, I apologize for throwing out some great music that my be worth checking out.     I guess we can disregard my posts and continue to recomend Demo music.    

Gabage in garbage out

rahimlee54

« Reply #149 on: 13 Apr 2009, 12:14 am »
Hi George,

Regards

Rod

Rod,

George

Are those better than buying the cd and ripping them in FLAC?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #150 on: 13 Apr 2009, 12:23 am »
Hi George,

Regards

Rod

Rod,

George

Are those better than buying the cd and ripping them in FLAC?

If you buy the normal 16/44 version it is no different than buying the physical cd and ripping it yourself.

The difference is in buying the hi-rez 24/96 version.  I don't believe you can buy that on physical media.

George

rodge827

« Reply #151 on: 13 Apr 2009, 01:40 am »

ok Had to check the disc to make sure I had the name right and I did.    If you are a fan of acoustic guitar, Mexican style/flamenco and I do not no how to describe the rest that makes up there music you have got to check them out.    These guys jam.  I bought both there cds which actually come with dvds.    It is some guitar music at its best (I do not know enough nor do I have the experience to say they are the best and I wouldn't.)   I find the Live from Japan album has a little more energy (surprise its a concert) but this music for me is infectious.   Driving my wife crazy.

Beautiful music a must to check out.    I just hope the quality of recording is there for my new ordered speakers.

I have the "Live in Japan" disc. Where this recording falls off sonically  it more than delivers in the emotional energy department. Well worth the purchase IMHO.

If you like the Flamenco Guitar style look into Ottmar Liebert. The Ottmar Liebert & Luna Negra - Viva is a very good live recording of his.

Chris   
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2009, 11:37 am by rodge827 »

Rocket

« Reply #152 on: 13 Apr 2009, 02:01 am »
Hi,

Pink Floyd 'Dark Side of the Moon' fans.  Dream Theater has a live version of this cd.  The recording and sound is very good.

Regards

Rod

Art_Chicago

« Reply #153 on: 13 Apr 2009, 02:26 am »
Hi George,

BTW thanks for your recommendation of Salk speakers last year.  It was a great leap of faith buying and shipping them to Australia.  One of the few products I've purchase OS that the hype is confirmed.

Regards

Rod

Rod,

George

thanks for the link. BTW, all these were recorded as 96/24? I did not look hard enough, but it is not apparent. Actually, what format do they use now for stereo? Does it depend on the label?

ardee

« Reply #154 on: 13 Apr 2009, 02:26 pm »

I have the "Live in Japan" disc. Where this recording falls off sonically  it more than delivers in the emotional energy department. Well worth the purchase IMHO.

If you like the Flamenco Guitar style look into Ottmar Liebert. The Ottmar Liebert & Luna Negra - Viva is a very good live recording of his.

Chris   

Thanks for the info on rod&gab.   And a big thanks for the rec on the Ottmar Leibert.   Very nice.   I can not get enough of good acoustic guitar.

Robert

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #155 on: 13 Apr 2009, 02:43 pm »
thanks for the link. BTW, all these were recorded as 96/24? I did not look hard enough, but it is not apparent. Actually, what format do they use now for stereo? Does it depend on the label?

Not all the material on HDtracks is in a hi-rez format.

They have a section specifically for hi-rez.

You can also purchase 16/44 (i.e. Redbook) albums.

George

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #156 on: 13 Apr 2009, 03:32 pm »
George:

I don't know anything about the hi-rez format, but will most external DACs play back the 96/24 input? 

Thanks.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #157 on: 13 Apr 2009, 03:47 pm »
George:

I don't know anything about the hi-rez format, but will most external DACs play back the 96/24 input? 

Thanks.

I don't think "most" DAC's will play back a 24/96 stream at its native resolution.

You need to check your digital source or DAC to see what it supports.

George

charmerci

« Reply #158 on: 13 Apr 2009, 04:31 pm »
Since I'm in transition and my system is in storage,  :( I can't make any conclusive sonic statements about Muddy Water's The Folk Singer. From what I have heard in others' systems, it seems like it might be sonically a  :thumb: but at least you can't do wrong with the incredible performance. (If anyone else can comment on it's sound, please do.)

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #159 on: 13 Apr 2009, 04:33 pm »
Since I'm in transition and my system is in storage,  :( I can't make any conclusive sonic statements about Muddy Water's The Folk Singer. From what I have heard in others' systems, it seems like it might be sonically a  :thumb: but at least you can't do wrong with the incredible performance. (If anyone else can comment on it's sound, please do.)

It is killer on LP, CD, and Hi-Rez download (24/96).

Highly recommended!   :thumb:

George