Build a $6K 2channel turntable setup

sleepkyng

Re: Build a $6K 2channel turntable setup
« Reply #40 on: 10 Dec 2018, 08:33 pm »
UPDATE again - i've convinced her to go with the restored Thorens. She wants the iFi retro setup too now.

I think i'm just gonna get her to commit to this.

Folsom

« Reply #41 on: 10 Dec 2018, 08:38 pm »
Sick! This is one lucky guy to be getting this gift to go with records. Lucky Gal too, to have the scratch to drop.

sleepkyng

« Reply #42 on: 10 Dec 2018, 08:45 pm »
Sick! This is one lucky guy to be getting this gift to go with records. Lucky Gal too, to have the scratch to drop.

seriously, have to say i'm a little jealous haha

but i'm stoked to be helping out.

she's gonna email dave at nirvanavinyl to add a cartridge to the thorens.

apparently they have a lot of zebra panel wood in the house so she loved that.

Thanks again for all the help Folsom and everyone else!!

Folsom

« Reply #43 on: 10 Dec 2018, 08:56 pm »
Seriously, ask if he can do the one I recommended because it has no setup process. If you buy another one it is just a twist of the lockring on the universal arm that's already mounted on the thing.

Anyways, maybe later you'll convince him to join around here to talk about music and such :) Enjoy your holidays!

sleepkyng

« Reply #44 on: 10 Dec 2018, 09:03 pm »
she bought the zebra thorens but it didn't have a cartridge installed. I think she's talking to dave now to get it setup with one he recommends.

it's in their hands now ;)

toocool4

« Reply #45 on: 10 Dec 2018, 09:24 pm »
Wow you mean she bought without listening first, hope she likes it. I never buy anything before I have listened first and most of the time I take it home and try it in my room with the rest of my setup. Expensive mistake if you don’t like it.

sleepkyng

« Reply #46 on: 10 Dec 2018, 09:27 pm »
Wow you mean she bought without listening first, hope she likes it. I never buy anything before I have listened first and most of the time I take it home and try it in my room with the rest of my setup. Expensive mistake if you don’t like it.

I think is their first step into hifi. I think it's ok to dive in (if you have the cash) and go from there.

I honestly think I could suggest anything mentioned here, and it would have been mind blowing for them.

That's how hifi was for me the first time I heard something outside the Bose world.

toocool4

« Reply #47 on: 10 Dec 2018, 09:37 pm »
I think is their first step into hifi. I think it's ok to dive in (if you have the cash) and go from there.

I honestly think I could suggest anything mentioned here, and it would have been mind blowing for them.

That's how hifi was for me the first time I heard something outside the Bose world.

But still all that choice and she chooses not to listen first? Sounds like she is going on looks alone. Well to each his / her own  :wink:

Folsom

« Reply #48 on: 10 Dec 2018, 09:59 pm »
All components have been reviewed rather favorably, none more than the Thorens.

toocool4

« Reply #49 on: 10 Dec 2018, 10:17 pm »
All components have been reviewed rather favorably, none more than the Thorens.

Oh really and that means everybody is going to like it?
I have listened to products that have been well reviewed and rated by reviewers, only to think what the hell are they talking about?

I don’t part with my money on someone else’s say so, my ears are the only judge i trust.

Folsom

« Reply #50 on: 10 Dec 2018, 10:55 pm »
There's many trusted iFi enthusiast lurking around this very forum. The LS3/5a needs no introduction or reaffirmation. So "review" may be a funny word, as I didn't say whom.

toocool4

« Reply #51 on: 10 Dec 2018, 11:17 pm »
I am sure there are, and there are many that love beats headphones too but it does not mean I would love it too.

Yes I used the word review, just a word to illustrate my point in saying just because someone likes something does not mean the next person will like it too.

Folsom

« Reply #52 on: 11 Dec 2018, 12:57 am »
They could always return it if it sounds horrid. The TT maybe not as easily, but the Retro? Very.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #53 on: 11 Dec 2018, 04:49 am »
UPDATE again - i've convinced her to go with the restored Thorens. She wants the iFi retro setup too now.

I think i'm just gonna get her to commit to this.

The IFI uses tubes.  If  she is looking for something that looks good, the Peachtree integrated amp in the Ebony Mocha  finish looks classy.  You can easily find some good bookshelf speakers in similar finish.  No worries about tubes, heat etc.

https://www.peachtreeaudio.com/nova150-amplifier-with-dac.html

DSkip

• Industry Participant
« Reply #54 on: 11 Dec 2018, 07:24 am »
Skip the iFi speakers and get a pair of Omega to go with the Stereo 50.  The Stereo 50 is a superb sounding unit.  The speakers....

Folsom

« Reply #55 on: 11 Dec 2018, 08:36 am »
I have heard some omegas. Like all single driver units, not for me, but clearly better than most by leagues.

They can always upgrade speakers. Bet they’ll be real happy.

simoon

« Reply #56 on: 11 Dec 2018, 06:46 pm »
friend wants to surprise her husband with a new 2 channel turntable setup.

US based couple in LA

he's not a huge hifi person, but appreciates good taste and just came into a large vinyl collection.

i suggested we pick the TT first, and we've started with an LP 12 but I'm open to other suggestions.

they want something with a classic but not gaudy look. they're not a fan of the whole open-tube situation either. so i think SS etc makes more sense.

she's also thinking BOOKSHELF over floor standers.

$6K is the total budget for this so:
TT
Amps / Phono
Speakers
Connects

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

UPDATE:
after consideration - she wants an all-black style setup but with a traditional style base - Regar Planar 6 etc...
the stereo setup is going on a banquette which is right up against the wall... and it's about 2 feet deep, 3 feet high and about 10ft wide.

For someone who is not a 'hifi person', I would recommend going to Audio Element in Pasadena.

Brian Berdan is a very knowledgeable person, honest, and has equipment at most price ranges, from modest to the most expensive. He carries: Rega, ProJect, Music Hall, and others.

https://audio-element.com/ 

He's got a complete system configured for $4580, including a Rega 6, A Sphinx amp, and a pair of Dali Zensor 7 speakers. There's still plenty of room for a CD player, and a record cleaning machine for $6000.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #57 on: 11 Dec 2018, 08:19 pm »
I can't blame her for going with a vintage Thorens 318.  The semi auto feature is great.  I have a Thorens TD-145 and love the semi auto feature.  It is what keeps me from buying a new TT.

The bottom line in this thread is that these people are not looking for the greatest sound and any of the recommendations will sound good, probably better than any thing that they have heard or have.  Although, I am not so sure about the IFI speakers.  Probably mediocre at best  but who knows.

Folsom

« Reply #58 on: 11 Dec 2018, 08:58 pm »
If the speakers are not up to snuff, they could be replaced and still be within budget.

Maceo23

« Reply #59 on: 11 Dec 2018, 09:02 pm »
Take a look at the Vandersteen VLR's.  They are literally designed to go on furniture or in bookshelves.