X-ed

Audiovista

X-ed
« on: 1 May 2023, 03:08 pm »
After bringing electrical design to completion, building pre-production prototype, then production prototypes and getting ready for the pilot run, some of the critical parts just disappeared from the market. Well, not exactly disappeared, but lead time increased from 8 weeks to 4 months (I was still hopeful at that point), to 16 months! As we buy all electronic components from the US suppliers/distributors, looking Far East was not an option (too high a risk of getting countefeit parts). We have enough parts for a pilot run, and more, but not enough to secure steady production flow. In the end, it was a straightforward, yet difficult decision to put this product on ice.  :(

I just felt like sharing my pain :cry:

The pre-production prototype:

jandrews

Re: X-ed
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2023, 03:38 pm »
Wow
Sorry to hear about the delay
Can you talk a little about the Spark iii and what changes were made to the previous model?
JS

Audiovista

« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2023, 04:15 pm »
Wow
Sorry to hear about the delay
Can you talk a little about the Spark iii and what changes were made to the previous model?
JS

Thank you!

The current Spark (a.k.a. Spark II) is here to stay, we still love how compact and sweet-sounding it is, and what it offers for the money. The Spark III is a new design, planned as an addition to the line. It will offer more power (around 50% more) and higher output current which dictate larger heatsink and power supply, all resulting in a larger and heavier (and more expensive) unit. While it can still fit on most desktops, it is more likely to end up in a room system that benefits from higher power (a system with lower efficiency speakers, larger rooms, etc.). This design will also address inquiries of customers who requested power amplifier version and we are also thinking about a matching preamp.

Our search for critical parts expanded to Europe, but the process is not fast as I need to vet every potential distributor. It is not only sunk costs and stubbornness that keeps me from giving up: my colleagues and I love the sound and we believe that it is a product that will complement Spark II nicely.

Audiovista

« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2023, 02:50 pm »
Pilot units  :cry: