Between the studs treatment for in-wall speakers

WaaCur

Between the studs treatment for in-wall speakers
« on: 13 Dec 2022, 02:53 am »
I have Focal 300IWLCR6 speakers installed in wall for LCR speakers.  Wall is interior wall separating two rooms - sheetrock on both sides of studs with no insulation.  I will be re-sheetrocking the "back" side, and while the wall is open can add insulation and/or add horizontal 1x3''s across the studs every couple feet with Acoustic caulk between the added 1x3's (3" surface flat to sheetrock) and the sheetrock, additional screws through sheetrock and 1x3's.  Acoustic caulk all the stud to sheetrock interfaces.  etc.   Not so concerned about the sound through the "back wall", just want to do the most I can to get good sound out front.  What would you suggest be done to these stud cavities?

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
Re: Between the studs treatment for in-wall speakers
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2022, 04:17 am »
Focal has this lovely 54 second how to install video.
https://youtu.be/2ZrSTqa1obY

Might have some additional info.  With the back of them open is the wall part of the baffle.
And what is on the oppose wall and up stairs or a heating duct run that could add some lovely stuff.

https://www.focal.com/en/custom-integration/in-wall-in-ceiling-loudspeakers/300-series/in-wall-speakers/300iwlcr6#ease-of-installation

Alan

WaaCur

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2022, 08:15 pm »
Hi, thanks for the reply.
I will not be opening the speakers, but the wall.  The interior wall is standard 2x4 construction with sheetrock on  both sides.  I will remove/replace the sheetrock on the back side of the speakers.  While doing so the 2x4 studs, back side of the speakers and sheetrock that the speakers are mounted to are all visible.  Question is - should I try to stiffen that sheetrock, put insulation in the open air space, etc to improve sound in the room the speakers fire into.  I'm not too concerned about the noise coming through the back wall other than how it impacts sound in the main room.  No upstairs (insulated attic), and ductwork is under the house.

artur9

« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2022, 02:24 am »
You know about the connectors for sheetrock to stud?  Some are called "sound isolation clips" or something like.

I've always wanted to replace sheetrock in various rooms with quietrock mounted on channels but cost prohibitive and not a DIYer.

I did once fill all the space behind walls and ceiling with fiberglass.  Made the room a lot quieter and warmer.

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2022, 04:16 am »
Most of the drywall wisdom in the audio world pertains to soundproofing. Very few audiophiles choose in-wall speakers, even though theoretically they are superior because they eliminate the main source of acoustic problems, echos from the front wall. It is a myth that in-walls can't provide the illusion of depth.

Insulating inside the wall with FG is the best practical thing you can do. The biggest problem is the ringing of the drywall on the studs at upper bass and midrange freqs. It's like a drumhead on a rim. Drywall resonance sounds terrible, so quieting it will give you more midrange refinement. Insulation will damp air motion inside the bays, which will damp drywall motion.

Making the wall stiffer is a secondary concern to filling the voids with FG, and more difficult to do. But stiffening the wall will tighten bass transients, make more low bass slam and reduce smearing the mid bass as the wall acts like a giant passive radiator. But stiffening an existing wall is difficult. If you had nothing better to do with your time and money you could rebuild the wall from scratch with 6" steel studs, 8" on center to make a truly stiff wall. Or you could hire a foam insulation contractor to spray urethane foam into the existing stud bays, thus gluing the front and rear drywall "membranes" together and creating a foam sandwich structure that is very stiff, and that would quiet the ringing drywall too. They do this on existing construction to replace old paper insulation. Or even just make a brace of some kind on the back of the wall, maybe a 2x4 attached diagonal from behind the speakers to the side walls.

WaaCur

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2022, 08:31 am »
Thank you.   

Dahodevil

« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2023, 03:01 am »
Mass loading the wall will be the best option to stop the wall from ringing. Pack at least the cavities the speakers are in with layers of mdf. Caulk the layers together with cheap latex caulk. The void you leave around the speakers should be filled with fiberglass