Is it okay to short Pin3 on BHA-1 rear outputs?

GrooveControl

Is it okay to short Pin3 on BHA-1 rear outputs?
« on: 19 Jun 2020, 12:20 am »
My main system has a Klark Teknik DN360 EQ sitting between a BHA-1 and a 3B SST using balanced interconnects all the way. I'm thinking of switching the EQ to a single ended EQ but I'm uncertain about using XLR to RCA adapters on the BHA-1 output.

A while back I was using the DN360 between a 0.4B and my older 3B, and for this I needed the XLR to RCA adapters for both the inputs and outputs on the DN360, and this worked with no problems for the DN360. I tested the adapters and found that both the male and female XLR adapters short pin3 to pin1.

In order to connect the BHA-1 to an unbalanced EQ or amp, I will need to use such adapters on the BHA-1 rear outputs. Will this be okay for the BHA-1? Or should should I make custom cables that would leave pin3 not connected instead?

Thanks.   

GrooveControl

Re: Is it okay to short Pin3 on BHA-1 rear outputs?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2020, 12:46 pm »
It appears all xlr to rca adapters and cables are wired this way.  Just wondering if safe to use these on the rear outputs of the BHA-1. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2020, 01:10 pm »
It appears all xlr to rca adapters and cables are wired this way.  Just wondering if safe to use these on the rear outputs of the BHA-1. 

HI

Looks OK - but email Mike to be sure - he is back Monday.

mpickett@bryston.com

james

GrooveControl

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2020, 01:53 am »

Looks OK - but email Mike to be sure - he is back Monday.

Hi James, I received a response from Mike, thanks.  I'm glad I asked, and posting this response for anyone else who may be interested in knowing this. 

From Mike...

Pin 3 on the XLR outputs is an active high current amplifier output, and should not be grounded.  Many adaptors will short pins 1 and 3 together to maintain compatibility with transformer balanced sources, and in most cases, as with our preamps, this won’t cause an issues.  However, with the BHA1 it is important to float pin 3 instead.  Assuming the XLR can be unscrewed, it should be simple to do this on an already assembled adaptor.

Thanks,

Mike

Jon L

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2020, 11:30 pm »
Hi James, I received a response from Mike, thanks.  I'm glad I asked, and posting this response for anyone else who may be interested in knowing this. 

From Mike...

Pin 3 on the XLR outputs is an active high current amplifier output, and should not be grounded.  Many adaptors will short pins 1 and 3 together to maintain compatibility with transformer balanced sources, and in most cases, as with our preamps, this won’t cause an issues.  However, with the BHA1 it is important to float pin 3 instead.  Assuming the XLR can be unscrewed, it should be simple to do this on an already assembled adaptor.

Thanks,

Mike

Glad I read this.  I am in similar situation, and most (all?) XLR-RCA adapters out there cannot be opened to float pin 3.
I have an old Bryston 10B active crossover; can pin 3 be tied to pin 1 on the adapter?

For the general audiophile crowd out there, is there a way to tell with simple multimeter if a certain equipment's pin 3 and 1 can be tied safely or not? :o

GrooveControl

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jul 2020, 12:14 am »
... and most (all?) XLR-RCA adapters out there cannot be opened to float pin 3.

These adapters from Amazon open easily.

https://www.amazon.ca/KIRLIN-3127-X2P-Female-2-Piece/dp/B00M0LLJ2U/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3MVE7FOMVZRF6&dchild=1&keywords=xlr+to+rca+female&qid=1594080264&sprefix=xlr+to+RCA%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-6

There is a black wire connecting the RCA hot to pin 2, and a short bare wire connecting the housing to pins 1 and 3. Just cut the short wire between pins 1 and 3, and test with a meter before using.

Alternatively, order some Nuetrik connectors and make your own cables. less connections.   

Jon L

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jul 2020, 04:17 am »
Yeah, I already have those adapters, which look much cheaper in person.  I especially don't like the metal material (?) used for RCA barrel and contacts; they don't look like great conductors. 

I ordered these from Moon Audio.  Pricey but cheaper than Cardas, with users saying they sound the same as Cardas adapters.

vlach

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2022, 06:21 pm »
Jon L,

The Moon Audio adaptors you ordered look very nice, can you please confirm pin 3 is floating? I'm not sure if this was even an issue with your Bryston 10B active crossover...In my case i need pin 3 floating in order to drive a SE amp from the XLR outputs of the BHA-1.

Thank you