adding remote attenuation to Music Reference RM200

Jeffr1966

adding remote attenuation to Music Reference RM200
« on: 26 Aug 2009, 04:47 pm »
I am CONSIDERING purchasing an RM200 tube amplifier.  I only run a single balanced source and the RM200 has balanced inputs only.  My source does NOT have variable outputs so I would like to skip the preamp stage by adding something internal to the RM200 if possible.

What would I need in this example??

thx

Jeff

Scottdazzle

Re: adding remote attenuation to Music Reference RM200
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2009, 05:00 pm »
Jeff,

Maybe you should try Roger at the Music Reference audio circle, too.

Scott

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2009, 05:02 pm »
Hello!

Certainly try Roger as Scott suggested - also I am here if either of you would like to call to discuss options.

Nice looking amp. It does however look to have a limited amount of space inside - ie even if you wanted Autoformers as the level control device there is no chance we could fit them inside the chassis.....

Let me know how much DIY you have done before and then I can better suggest options.

Thanks!

John

Scottdazzle

« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2009, 05:08 pm »
And you might want to consider a small outboard attenuator with remote that could be placed inconspicuously in your cabinet/stand.  Roger fixed me up with a passive crossover with an attenuator but no remote for my VMPS RM-30s. It works like a champ.

Jeffr1966

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2009, 05:47 pm »
I will try on the MR board as well ... no DIY experience so I would "farm out" the work.  I was concerned there may not be enough space internally.

thx for your posts

Jeff

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2009, 06:55 pm »
Hello!

If you are going to farm it out then I would highly recommend Scotts suggestion - a small passive at the input of the amp.  That would save shipping the amp around the globe - always good if you can avoid it  - and also would keep the amp stock. It is a very nice looking unit and it would feel wrong somehow to attack it with a hand drill.

I'd think that a 4 deck Goldpoint with the remote kit in a box with the XLR jacks on the back would do the trick. I think Arn at Goldpoint is working on exactly that now - but it would not ship right away. Music Reference may have a box he uses that such parts could be adapted to.  This is essentially a pre-amp.  I could do some balanced Autoformer based Bent Units to be plunked down at the amp inputs but that would get rather pricey I expect compared to these other options!

Thanks!

John

kgturner

« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2009, 08:15 pm »
would a placette rvc fit the bill? perhaps it could be outfitted with xlr inputs/outputs.

http://www.placetteaudio.com/remote_control.htm

kevin t

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 26 Aug 2009, 08:26 pm »
Hello!

A bal placette would likely do a fine job - I could do a similar setup using my hybrid resistor pcb's installed in Bent Units. I suspect (but do not know for sure) that a bal Placette might be pushing very close to the cost of the bal autoformer TAP-X. 

Thansk!

John

Ericus Rex

« Reply #8 on: 26 Aug 2009, 11:02 pm »
I believe Creek (or was is Cambridge Audio...?) also made a stand-alone remote control unit.  I think it's much cheaper than the Placette.  Don't know if they still make it though.  Roger mentioned months ago that he was working on a remote volume for his preamps.  Haven't heard anything lately.  Give him a call since he hasn't been around here for a while  :?