KEF LS 50 Powered Speakers-- Any Sound Benefits from TWL Wire?

Joe Frances

A good friend fo mine has just bought a nice pair of KEF LS 50s (the new highly-rated internally powered ones) for his Florida house.  My question is: since the speakers come with fairly generic power cords, and I guess it's an ethernet cable that connects the powered one to the passive/slave one (not sure), would upgrading to TWL power cords and/or cable improve the sound quality of this system?  The dealer said no they wouldn't, but then backed off and said, maybe better power cords might make a difference (each speaker has to be plugged into the wall or a conditioner).  Any thoughts or experiences?  Thanks,

Joe

toocool4

Personally I would just get your friend to try it with some borrowed power cables and see if he / she can hear a difference, that is the only way to know.

With regards to power conditioners, I use one and would not be without it now.

maty

If with other power cable he has better sound -> he has problems at mains like me.

In that case it is much better and much cheaper to resort to professional solutions than to spend the money in ...

He does need to spend a lot of money (TLW) to have a very good power cables.

Star quad, the best geometry to build audio and power cables

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=156793.0

If he notice improvement, then:

How to clean the DC at mains. And ripple too.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=153802.0

Triode Pete

A good friend fo mine has just bought a nice pair of KEF LS 50s (the new highly-rated internally powered ones) for his Florida house.  My question is: since the speakers come with fairly generic power cords, and I guess it's an ethernet cable that connects the powered one to the passive/slave one (not sure), would upgrading to TWL power cords and/or cable improve the sound quality of this system?  The dealer said no they wouldn't, but then backed off and said, maybe better power cords might make a difference (each speaker has to be plugged into the wall or a conditioner).  Any thoughts or experiences?  Thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe,
I mentioned this to a local LI Audio Dealer who has sold quite a bit of KEF LS50 pairs and his answer is "Definitely Yes!", sound quality can be improved. This dealer actually performed some experimentation using my "Ten Plus" power cord.

Also, one OEM speaker manufacturer couldn't believe the improvement in bass quality (tighter & quicker response) to "keep up" with his panels. His powered bass modules required a power cord for each speaker. Also, another powered "Open Baffle" speaker manufacturer recommends my power cords for the plate amps in his woofer modules...

I have numerous customers who are delighted with the sound quality improvement using my cables on their Von Schweikert, GT Audio, REL, etc. powered speakers...

Cheers,
Pete

witchdoctor

Hi Joe,
I mentioned this to a local LI Audio Dealer who has sold quite a bit of KEF LS50 pairs and his answer is "Definitely Yes!", sound quality can be improved. This dealer actually performed some experimentation using my "Ten Plus" power cord.

Also, one OEM speaker manufacturer couldn't believe the improvement in bass quality (tighter & quicker response) to "keep up" with his panels. His powered bass modules required a power cord for each speaker. Also, another powered "Open Baffle" speaker manufacturer recommends my power cords for the plate amps in his woofer modules...

I have numerous customers who are delighted with the sound quality improvement using my cables on their Von Schweikert, GT Audio, REL, etc. powered speakers...

Cheers,
Pete

+1, I have 14 active speakers in my immersive home theater with upgraded power cords on nearly all of them. What worked best for me was to upgrade the outlet first, the power conditioner second, the power cords third. I highly recommend you try it. Although I use a different brand of power cord I could probably benefit from a Triode upgrade too :)

Joe Frances

+1, I have 14 active speakers in my immersive home theater with upgraded power cords on nearly all of them. What worked best for me was to upgrade the outlet first, the power conditioner second, the power cords third. I highly recommend you try it. Although I use a different brand of power cord I could probably benefit from a Triode upgrade too :)

What power conditioner do you like?

witchdoctor

Joe Frances, I like the Monster HTPS 7000. I wrote this review around 15 years ago, and it is still going strong. Once my toddler turned the volume up full blast when I was in another room. Instead of blowing my speakers the unit detetcted the surge and shut it down. Every brown out, power outage etc it has always done the job. If you get one be sure to run your cable box through it and your modem too. You can still find them on ebay:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=1684.msg15165#msg15165

Check HIFI shark-

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=monster+htps

A_shah

Joe

I have both the LS 50 passive and the LS50W that service my Desk top system with Macmini I have them on 24" stands , I tried different kind of PC including PS AC 5 , I right now I  use reasonably priced Zu audio PC (Ebay), but honestly i find the
 Power cables that come with the LS50" as very good "! I do have A/C line enhancers and PS audio outlets  I would not spend money on super expensive PC for the LS50W as the DAC's inside and electronic do a pretty good job for sound Quality  :thumb:
Asghar

toocool4

My question is: since the speakers come with fairly generic power cords, and I guess it's an ethernet cable that connects the powered one to the passive/slave one (not sure), would upgrading to TWL power cords and/or cable improve the sound quality of this system?  The dealer said no they wouldn't,

Normally my response is the one I gave on post no 2, which is to try it out and see for yourself.

The answer I really wanted to give but held off saying was, listen to the dealers first response which was “no they wouldn’t” first reaction is usually the correct one. The dealer sounds like an honest dealer and don’t want to take your friends money for nothing. But your friend can try new power cables if he / she does not believe the dealer.

witchdoctor

Another idea is to use a set of Isoacoustic stands, see pic below under my JBL's..

A_shah

Re: KEF LS 50 Powered Speakers-- Any Sound Benefits from TWL Wire?
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2019, 06:37 pm »
Another idea is to use a set of Isoacoustic stands, see pic below under my JBL's..

Plus +1

Joe Frances

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2019, 06:02 pm »
Normally my response is the one I gave on post no 2, which is to try it out and see for yourself.

The answer I really wanted to give but held off saying was, listen to the dealers first response which was “no they wouldn’t” first reaction is usually the correct one. The dealer sounds like an honest dealer and don’t want to take your friends money for nothing. But your friend can try new power cables if he / she does not believe the dealer.

My friend is not into gear and would take the dealer's view at face value, he is just trying to get the most out of his new speakers, so I am the one who is thinking of upgrading his power cords to see if they would enhance system performance.  When I changed from old stock cords to TWL the difference was huge.  I was just wondering if a similar result would appertain to his system.

toocool4

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jan 2019, 07:16 pm »
Joe Frances well if you have identical cables you can always loan it to your friend to try.
If I were to recommend anything to your friend, I would recommend a good pair of stands. For me that makes a difference, that can not be questioned.