"2001 a Space Odyssey" 50th anniversary in 70mm.

SET Man

"2001 a Space Odyssey" 50th anniversary in 70mm.
« on: 26 May 2018, 11:06 pm »
Hey!

First a little intro of how came to appreciated this movie. I don't remembered exactly when I first saw this movie but likely when I was in my teenage years in the '90s on one those channel on cable TV. But I remembered that I found it to be way too long and I didn't get what the hell it was all about! But that space hotel flight scene with Johann Strauss' "Blue Danube" playing really stuck with me, it was beautiful and it is still is today. But as I got older and have seen it a few times since than it became one of my favorite movie... ever! So, do I understand what that black "Monolith" is all about? No still I don't think I really do. But I came to appreciate and love this movie for it's technical, artistic and aesthetic aspects of it.

Since I've never seen this movie on big screen film or digital version. So, went I heard that they are re-releasing unrestored 70mm prints I know that I had to find time to see this! And yesterday I went to see it yesterday and it was simply beautiful to see that space flight to the space hotel on Pan Am spacecraft... yes Pan Am :lol: on big screen. Although, the copy I saw have some scratches and lints it was quite an experience to see. I do feel that a hi-res digital scan restored version will be cleaner and sharper but there's something special about seeing this on film like the way it was first released. And while at the theater I saw people of all ages there from a dad bringing his son of which I would guess about 8 years old to see it for the first time to much older people and all ages in between. And even though there's no space hotel today, it is amazing to think that many of technologies in that movie are now a reality like videophone, a camera that shoot with near silence and of course virtual computer assistance like Siri and Alexa... let's hope they won't turn out like HAL9000 someday  :icon_lol:

Well, to sum it up. It was simply beautiful to see this movie in 70mm format for me. If you're a fan of this movie or of Kubrick's works go see it in 70mm prints if there is a showing near you. And for those of you lucky New Yorkers like myself, you have until Thursday May 31th to see this at the Village East Cinema...

https://www.citycinemas.com/villageeast/film/2001-a-space-odyssey-in-70mm

And one more thing for us lucky New Yorkers (although we do pay a lot of our paycheck to live here) after the movie, you might want to hop on the subway uptown and go see exhibition of Stanley Kubrick's photographs at Museum of the City of New York.  8)

http://www.mcny.org/exhibition/through-different-lens

Take care,
Buddy

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: "2001 a Space Odyssey" 50th anniversary in 70mm.
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2018, 11:35 pm »
Link dont work to me:
www.citycinemas.com -
Access Denied
Error code 16
This request was blocked by the security rules

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2018, 11:44 pm »
WOW, Buddy is still kicking butts at A/C here! :duh:

wushuliu

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2018, 01:03 am »
I was fortunate enough to see a 70mm print at the The Egyptian in LA some years ago. It was breathtaking. There is just no other way to really *get* what he was going for. As anyone who has read or seen the effort put into making of the film can attest, 2001 is one of the great achievements in any medium. Kubrick single handedly created the modern science fiction genre. He also designed his own lenses and innovated camera technique that impacts to this day from Lucasfilm to James Cameron to IMAX. The behind the scenes work he did on 2001 blows my frickin' mind. Unequivocably, love him or hate him, he was a genius. I can't even imagine seeing this in the 60s.

I am totally convinced though, he took LSD at some point before making the film. It was a popular thing in Hollywood 'elite' circles before hitting the counterculture, and there is just no way, no way, those visuals were conceived without that influence.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2018, 01:19 am »
I have seen 2001 a dozen times in the 70s in 70mm, it was a awesome experience even today, the music soundtrack has a perfect matching with the film leitmotive.

Kubrick took a lot of money from MGM and after 6 months he did not show anything, so some MGM executives went to UK to take Kubrick's satisfaction and see what he had already done.

Kubrick showed them two hours of filming with monkeys in a desert... after this there were no more questions.

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2018, 01:57 am »
Never in my area... tasteless jerkoffs here wouldn't get it, and they're the majority.

THROWBACK

« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2018, 12:30 pm »
I saw this movie with my dad right after I returned from Vietnam. Both of us had been pilots in wars (I in F-4 Phantoms; he in B-17s in WWII). Neither of us "got" it at the time. We were sure we were trapped forever in the old paradigm in which each generation of "apes" takes up the latest bone to kill his fellow tribe member with. I have seen it several times now, and each time I "get" it a little more. The best explanation of Kubrick's vision I have seen is in the reference below.

Kubrick 2001: The space odyssey explained, in 15 minutes
https://www.kubrick2001.com/en/1
Stanley Kubrick's '2001' begins at dawn in prehistoric Africa. But let's take one step back in time...

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2018, 03:08 pm »
Never in my area... tasteless jerkoffs here wouldn't get it, and they're the majority.

I think I'm in that majority....I just don't get what the fuss is. Kubrick and I aren't on the same wavelength.  Or anywhere near it.

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2018, 04:12 pm »
I meant for showing a film in actual film, not movie taste.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2018, 07:38 pm »
I meant for showing a film in actual film, not movie taste.

Move.  The people around you will never get better, but you can change things by moving to a place where there's more people that are like you.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2018, 07:40 pm »
For fans of the movie who want to understand more, I recommend reading the book.

Tyson

« Reply #11 on: 27 May 2018, 07:54 pm »
For fans of the movie who want to understand more, I recommend reading the book.

I disagree - the book is good but nowhere near as good as the movie.  And the book sequels are even worse.  Clarke supplies answers to questions that Kubrick goes to great pains in the movie to leave unanswered.  A big part of what I love about the movie is it's general resistance to easy answers.  Clarke provided 'his' answers, but I am fairly confident they wouldn't be Kubrick's answers. 

Don't get me wrong, I like the book, it's good sci-fi.  But IMO the movie transcends genre and attains the status of great Art. 

Folsom

« Reply #12 on: 27 May 2018, 08:24 pm »
Move.  The people around you will never get better, but you can change things by moving to a place where there's more people that are like you.

Actually things are starting to change. I want to move anyways, but I haven't won the lottery to fascilitate doing whatever I want whenever I want.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 27 May 2018, 10:53 pm »
Clarke transformed David Bowman in a download file what was not a smart move as provide a spouse to Frank Poole was not too.

Whitese

« Reply #14 on: 27 May 2018, 11:54 pm »
i am going to the 10:30 in the E.Village...I better drink coffee!!

wushuliu

« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2018, 05:53 am »

During pre-production Kubrick collected vast amounts of research on what life in space would be like in the near future, consulting the aerospace industry, university researchers and R&D; labs. The idea of a rapidly spinning centrifuge that could harness centripetal force to maintain earthly levels of gravity was popular in space talk at the time, so Kubrick decided the film's Discovery spaceship should prominently feature a copy. He hired Vickers Engineering Group to create a $300,000 imitation centrifuge (top rotational speed: 3 mph). The Ferris wheel-like set allowed Kubrick to film famous scenes that appear to show an astronaut jogging in a vertical circle or walking up the round sides of the ship. "Being a production designer, I've always felt that the centrifuge was so far ahead of its time and still is, and I admire the intense research Kubrick did to commit to build it, and simultaneously the camera and playback systems that had to be adapted in order to shoot it," Podesta says.

Genius.

SET Man

« Reply #16 on: 2 Jun 2018, 02:49 am »
WOW, Buddy is still kicking butts at A/C here! :duh:

Hey!

Yup, still alive and well. I don't come here much often lately since I'm pretty much done with my stereo system, the more I tried to improve it the less enjoyable it becomes. So, I stop... actually should have stop sooner  :? Anyway, sorry for being off topic, just a shout out to an old friend here  8)

Take care
Buddy

SET Man

« Reply #17 on: 2 Jun 2018, 03:09 am »

Genius.

Hey!

Indeed! And to think of it all of this and the fact that this movie where done long before the birth of CGI and came out a little over a year before the actual moon landing in 1969. This is one of a rare movie that I personally would call it an "Art" piece also.  8)

A little trivia for people who are into photography like myself. HAL9000 is actually made from an 8mm Nikon SLR lens.

Take care,
Buddy

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 2 Jun 2018, 11:43 am »
On the trivia side I worked with the Hi Ab Lm-9000 brother the 9021 Power/VSE in the 1990s and it was bore, not exiting as the /360 JCL and System/3 OCL from the 1960-70.

Tyson

« Reply #19 on: 4 Jun 2018, 04:28 am »
More trivia - what happens if you increment all the letters in HAL by one?  Yep, it spells IBM.  Kubrick's little joke.