Bicycling Off-Road

jackman

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #700 on: 14 May 2011, 11:11 pm »
Nice bke!  I would just ride it as is and replace things like wheels when they break.  This does not include things like saddle and bars if your bars aren't comfortable. Good luck with the new ride!

AB

« Reply #701 on: 15 May 2011, 02:04 am »
Nice bke!  I would just ride it as is and replace things like wheels when they break.  This does not include things like saddle and bars if your bars aren't comfortable. Good luck with the new ride!

I doubt I'd ever break these wheels.  :D They're beefy.

I really want to get this as light as reasonably possible - reasonably meaning not replacing everything.

The original plan was to get the Carbon Flash 1 but none were available until August. Plan B was to get the 2 and swap out the wheels to some light ones.

I'll race this in a few marathons this Summer so lightness is key.

I busted my PR on my favorite loop ON THE FIRST RIDE with this thing.  :thumb:

sandbagger

« Reply #702 on: 17 May 2011, 01:26 pm »
Decided instead of making the switch to disk and new wheels at this point($$$$$)

I just ordered up some new older Mavic X3.1 UST(rim brake) hoops and going to lace them to my older Adco Swiss Racer hubs that are still silky smooth.

KKM

« Reply #703 on: 17 May 2011, 03:28 pm »
If anyone has some awesome photo's of their bicycling adventure post it here:

http://www.meetthemoment.com/

Good cause and might win some prize.

Levi

« Reply #704 on: 24 May 2011, 01:16 pm »
CLIMB West Side Race Committee under the leadership of CLIMB President Mike Vitti are proud to offer the first CHP TT Event!

WHAT:  Cunningham Park Time Trials Event, QUEENS New York

WHEN:  Wedneday Night June 15, 5:00-7:00PM

WHERE:  Cunningham MTB Park corner of 210 Street and 67th Avenue.  Oceania St exit from LIE.

We will have prices, swags, pizza and drinks courtesy of our sponsor.

PLEASE NOTE:  This is a free event to all the CLIMB members.  Current CLIMB membership status is required for insurance coverage.

JoshK

« Reply #705 on: 7 Jun 2011, 01:35 am »
Did a ride on Memorial day, a tiny bit muddy but was given the go ahead by the powers that be that it was ok to ride.  Great day overall.

did some miles at Chimney Rock.   A little bit rockier than some of the easier places in NJ. Moderate climbing, semi-technical.  Obviously a bit muddy too.

JoshK

« Reply #706 on: 7 Jun 2011, 01:42 am »
by the way, I just agreed to buy a full squish 26'er.   Giant Trance X, circa 2007 with lots of parts upgrade.   Thought I'd try out the other side of the spectrum, something likely more akin to my riding style. 

JoshK

« Reply #707 on: 7 Jun 2011, 01:52 am »
some pictures of the new ride from the previous owner.

Levi

« Reply #708 on: 7 Jun 2011, 02:00 am »
Congrats on the new toy Josh! 

What size is that?  Looks big because of the seat post extended that far.  Hmmm...

JoshK

« Reply #709 on: 7 Jun 2011, 02:04 am »
Its a medium. guess that to be 17"-18" which my GF is as well.   I think the prior owner was taller and therefore had the seat higher. 

He is a second owner.

JoshK

« Reply #710 on: 8 Jun 2011, 05:05 pm »
I picked up the bike last night.  I think part of why it looks big is this is a 5" full squish.  Look at the height of the BB.  Partly though he did have the seat pretty high, esp considering he was bout my height (and weight too, so the suspension is roughly already tuned for me). 

Levi

« Reply #711 on: 8 Jun 2011, 07:39 pm »
Looks can be deceiving.  If it fits you, then you properly then you are in for a treat!

I picked up the bike last night.  I think part of why it looks big is this is a 5" full squish.  Look at the height of the BB.  Partly though he did have the seat pretty high, esp considering he was bout my height (and weight too, so the suspension is roughly already tuned for me). 

JoshK

« Reply #712 on: 8 Jun 2011, 07:50 pm »
This bike is for the rocky/technical trails I love to ride.  That isn't so much a matter of racing to see who can do the lap the first as much as who has the most fun doing gnarly stuff.

P.S. I was really surprised how relatively light the bike is.  Maybe comparable to my 29'er, maybe a tad less.  almost all the parts are upgraded to pretty high end stuff.  Shadow rear derailer, X0 cassette, etc. 

Levi

« Reply #713 on: 9 Jun 2011, 01:01 pm »
Keep us updated with your comparison. I think you will be happy with your new toy.  Congrats!

JoshK

« Reply #714 on: 11 Jun 2011, 07:38 pm »
Got one ride on the full squish.  Its definitely a different feel.  Went to Chimney Rock yesterday.  Its on the medium side of rocky, but the full squish makes it feel less rocky.  Going downhill fast in a very rocky section feels much more confidence inspiring with the full squish.

Levi

« Reply #715 on: 11 Jun 2011, 08:16 pm »
Good to hear you are liking it.

We are going to Fat Tire Fest Blue Mountain Festival tomorrow Sunday, June 12.

Here is the link to the thread.  My handle name is "Merlin" :)
http://www.climbonline.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1307415040/0

JoshK

« Reply #716 on: 14 Jun 2011, 03:56 pm »
How did the Fest go?  How do you like Blue Mtn.  I've heard great things about that place.  All those big boulders look like fun.

Levi

« Reply #717 on: 14 Jun 2011, 04:14 pm »
The Fat Tire Festival at Blue Mountain was a great success!

Lots of raffle prices and activities for the whole family. We did the intermediate group ride and that was lots of fun. Lots of wet roots and boulders.  Lucky for me, my bike took all the falling. The trail was lots of fun.

Long Island trails has more flow.

JoshK

« Reply #718 on: 14 Jun 2011, 04:23 pm »
You'd probably like six mile then.  That is all about flow. 

Levi

« Reply #719 on: 14 Jun 2011, 06:51 pm »
I have never been to six mile.  If it doesn't have boulders and huge rocks that will almost kill you, then I would probably like it.  ;)

Quote from: JoshK link=topic=70851.msg955426#msg955426 date=13
You'd probably like six mile then.  That is all about flow.