Bicycling Off-Road

Levi

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #680 on: 23 Feb 2011, 02:49 pm »
To those in the know, Fox Racing Shox has Protune offerings that allows older suspension fork upgrades.  I recently upgraded my 2010 Fox Racing Shox to 2011 with Kashima coating.  It is a worthwhile upgrade that costs 1/3 less price vs new fork. 

Protune can be done DIY or you can have your LBS upgrade your fork.  Fox Racing Shox has detailed service instructions with pictures and video.  You simply swap the new parts with the old parts.  That's all there is to it!  SEE BELOW.

Parts I used to Protune my Fox Racing Fork.

Remove all dampers and drain old oil

Replace dust wipers with new

Old vs New

Clean and inspect lower fork assembly

New dust wiper and foam rings installed.  Ready for new stickers.

Old vs the new Kashima coating

Clean headset bearings while everything is taken apart

Inspect FIT and Air spring assemblies...looks good.

Put everything back together

Finished product.  It is now Protuned 2010 F100 FIT with Kashima coating

Finally, clean up and open a nice bottle of Red wine.  Enjoy!

That was a fun little project!

BikeWNC

« Reply #681 on: 23 Feb 2011, 03:05 pm »
Nice pictures but not nice enough to look at twice.   :P

I doubt I would be brave enough to work on my fork.  I know it's not rocket science but I'm sure I'd lose something after it was all apart. 

Levi

« Reply #682 on: 23 Feb 2011, 03:12 pm »
It is easier than you think.  ;)  It is like changing oil on your car.  You remove 4 bolts and everything comes apart.  Ha ha ha! 

Then again your LBS can do it for you or send it to Fox Racing, Hippie Tech. 

JoshK

« Reply #683 on: 23 Feb 2011, 03:50 pm »
I haven't riden since November!  I am going to have to start all over with fitness.  Been drinking way too much!  Doctor says my chol is way too high, so diet and excercise are a must.

I was going to ride last Saturday after getting such nice weather on Friday but then it dropped temp and was windy as all hell.  Plus I admit, I was a bit hung-over.   I can't wait till it warms up just a bit more, I'm itching to ride.

baumer

« Reply #684 on: 23 Feb 2011, 06:57 pm »
Competitive Cyclist is having a big sale on lots of good stuff both road and mountain.  :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #685 on: 1 Mar 2011, 01:57 pm »
I think I am good for now. 

However, I am tempted to buy the 2011 Terralogic assembly for my FIT RLC Fox Racing Shox.  It is available $350 vs $849 price of the new fork.

Levi

« Reply #686 on: 6 Mar 2011, 04:20 am »
Update:  The new Terralogic will fit inside the older 2010 fork.  The 2011 F-Series has new air spring.  It is basically a few millimeter shorter which increases the air volume inside the fork and has different spring rate.  So if you are going to upgrade to the 2011 Kashima steerer assembly, it is probably a good idea to also buy the new air shaft assembly.

Notes: 
1.  To prevent damage, installation of the new Air Shaft Assembly should start from the bottom of the steerer. 
2.  Be very careful not to scratch the inside of the tube.  If you scratch the inside of the tube, you will have air leak.
3.  26mm is hard to find, you can also use 1" socket.
4.  Always use new crush washers.

See picture for comparison.  New vs Old

Big difference

ton1313

« Reply #687 on: 9 Mar 2011, 02:02 am »
I just purchased a Giant Anthem X 29er 3.
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/model/anthem.x.29er.3/7508/44090/

I cant wait to get it on the trail. It is my first FS bike and 29er to boot. :thumb:

Mostly ride in eastern PA, primarily at Jacobsburg st. park.

Levi

« Reply #688 on: 10 Mar 2011, 01:53 pm »
Congrats on your new Giant  Anthem X 29er!  That is a super cheater bike.  ;) 

Levi

« Reply #689 on: 21 Mar 2011, 01:11 am »
We went to ride Hartshorne Woods Today in New Jersey.  It was a good turnout with the local group!

JoshK

« Reply #690 on: 21 Mar 2011, 04:48 pm »
Hartshorne was my first ride. 

ton1313

« Reply #691 on: 22 Mar 2011, 12:54 am »
My son, 7 years old, 4'7", 95 lbs is growing like a weed, so we have basically been purchasing a new bike on an annual basis for him. He got a 20" MTB latst year, and is on his way past that one, so we went and were going to pick up a 24" MTB for him on Sat. We ended up purchasing an adult 26" Giant with an XS frame. He is big enough to ride it, and hopefully this will give him some time on the bike, without having to upgrade anytime in the near future.

We cristened his, and my Anthem 29er at Jacobsburg St. Park yesterday. Did 8 miles for the first ride of the year. Had a blast. He can handel the larger bike better than I expected. The Anthem 29er is sweet as well, really smooth ride, with great control.

Looking forward to a great season!

Levi

« Reply #692 on: 22 Mar 2011, 01:58 pm »
I had same issue with my son who is now 14yrs old.  You did the right thing going from 20" to 26".  They grow fairly quickly.  Most bike shop allows trade for kids bike.  I ended up giving the old bike away and gave my son one of my older 26" bike. 

Congrats on the new Anthem 29er. 

Levi

« Reply #693 on: 31 Mar 2011, 12:49 pm »
To those interested in auditioning for the Leadville 100.  Good luck!

Dub dub dub leadvillequalifiers.com/wilmington/wilmington

sandbagger

« Reply #694 on: 31 Mar 2011, 02:24 pm »
No audition needed this year for my buddy, he is in again for the 2nd year in a row, and was actually featured in the 2010 movie

I plan on going out to watch and ride with him the week before if I can get the time off work.

To those interested in auditioning for the Leadville 100.  Good luck!

Dub dub dub leadvillequalifiers.com/wilmington/wilmington

Levi

« Reply #695 on: 22 Apr 2011, 04:05 am »
New software is out for the Garmin Edge 800.

Changes made from version 2.10 to 2.20:

* Added setting to turn on 1 second recording in Settings > System > Data Recording.
    * Fixed an issue that could cause large jumps in position and distance.
    * Added Last Lap Power data field.
    * Fixed an issue that was causing ANT sensors to not pair as expected.
    * Added a setting to enable a prompt to recalculate during navigation.
    * Courses are now usable with GPS turned Off and a connected ANT+ Speed sensor.
    * The Virtual Partner can now be manually synchronized by pressing and holding on the Virtual Partner graphic.
    * Fixed a speed zone field display issue.
    * Improved course navigation.
    * Fixed issues viewing an activity in progress from the history menu.
    * Fixed issue with some Mac users not being able to connect to device without resetting the timer.
    * Fixed some display issues when using a weight scale.
    * Fixed an issue that could cause distance to not accumulating after switching bike profiles while the timer is running.
    * Fixed a few issues while editing workouts and a display issue while doing a workout in night mode.
    * Fixed a display issue while doing a workout in night mode.
    * Improved elevation calibration when manually setting device elevation.

AB

New Bike
« Reply #696 on: 14 May 2011, 05:31 pm »
Here's a pic of my new bike.

Can anyone guess make and model?

sandbagger

Re: New Bike
« Reply #697 on: 14 May 2011, 05:40 pm »
Way to easy
CANONDALE

Thats not a flash carbon 1 is it????

First good bike I ever got, first gen R600 Plumb Crazy or what ever that color was....

On another note, anyone have any recommendations for some good cheap wheels?   would like them to be rim/disk as of right now I am rim Avid Mag 2fingers.... considering going disk but its really not needed around here.

And if you have something you want to get rid of, all the better

Levi

« Reply #698 on: 14 May 2011, 07:32 pm »
That is a nice Cannondale bike. My friend has one of those and she is very happy with it.  She won a race with it. :thumb:

Hers came with a nice set of Mavic crossmax sl wheel set.  I would suggest you go tubeless with it.

Sandbagger:
Mavic makes excellent wheels. My favorite wheel set are Industry Nine.  8)

AB

« Reply #699 on: 14 May 2011, 09:52 pm »
Flash Carbon 2 29er. The Cannondale part of the answer was easy. :green:

23 pounds.

I will swap out the ZTR Arch for the new Race Gold or MMX wheels, carbon riser bar and XTR pedals. Hopefully that should get it down some. It's fast and surprisingly comfortable on the rough stuff.