Bicycling Off-Road

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #640 on: 21 Nov 2010, 08:13 pm »
That was a long race for me.  @6hrs and 61miles off-road.   :thumb:  The worst part was getting behind someone slow.  There were 250 racers in different abilities and categories.  :duh:

Well....at least you got a Pint glass and a T-shirt.... :thumb:

shadowlight

« Reply #641 on: 21 Nov 2010, 09:02 pm »
That was a long race for me.  @6hrs and 61miles off-road.   :thumb:  The worst part was getting behind someone slow.  There were 250 racers in different abilities and categories.  :duh: 

Congratulation Levi.  Seems you had fun racing.

Levi

« Reply #642 on: 21 Nov 2010, 09:05 pm »
Thanks!  :thumb:

Want to see what 250 racers is like on the start?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY03TzWz7Gk

BikeWNC

« Reply #643 on: 21 Nov 2010, 09:19 pm »
LOL, I'd have to start on a Demo 9 just for the looks I'd get. 

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #644 on: 21 Nov 2010, 10:57 pm »

Levi:

You are my hero. I have done 20 fast miles cross country I was killed. To do 60, gulp.  :o

I picked up a Specialized Enduro and really like it.

Hey, here is video we did to try and get sponsored. A long shot I know. But like Wayne Gretsky said, "If you don't shoot you won't score".

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/159557/

Rocket_Ronny

JoshK

« Reply #645 on: 22 Nov 2010, 06:05 pm »
I managed to get two smaller rides in this weekend after having nearly two months off (been busy and out of the country).  Feels like I started over.  Oh well, still fun. 

Went to Allamuchy North but on the east side (rocky) and it was really tough.  There are sections that seem nearly impossible to not hike a bike, especially covered in leaves.   Then went to Lewis Morris on Sunday (easy terrain but still moderate amount of hills) and did a 6 miler. 

Levi

« Reply #646 on: 23 Nov 2010, 02:34 pm »
Ron:
Great video.  Where is that park?  That looks like lots of fun!

Josh:
Finding the time and motivation to ride is hard.  Maybe an indoor trainer is good so you don't loose your fitness.

You can download my .tcx file of my Lewis Morris race to your Garmin and follow the race course next time you go back there.  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/38396237

Levi:

You are my hero. I have done 20 fast miles cross country I was killed. To do 60, gulp.  :o

I picked up a Specialized Enduro and really like it.

Hey, here is video we did to try and get sponsored. A long shot I know. But like Wayne Gretsky said, "If you don't shoot you won't score".

Rocket_Ronny

PhilNYC

« Reply #647 on: 23 Nov 2010, 02:46 pm »
Here's a ride I did on my mtb that was a mix of roads and trails.  Data courtesy of my new Garmin Edge 800...!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/57311435

Levi

« Reply #648 on: 23 Nov 2010, 02:53 pm »
Thanks for sharing Phil.  I remembered passing Tallman and Rockland State Park on my recent Bear Mountain Ride from Queens.  All I can say is very nice!

I like the Garmin 800 because it has temperature sensor.   :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #649 on: 23 Nov 2010, 02:58 pm »
Thanks for the map Levi.  Actually, I think that is the same ride I did, except I did part of the blue trail out and back as I got a bit lost at first, but I did the same loop as that (the only one I really know well enough from memory). 

Levi

« Reply #650 on: 1 Dec 2010, 12:19 am »
Some inspirations to those who like to jump curves. :lol:

http://www.dannymacaskill.co.uk/videos/

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #651 on: 1 Dec 2010, 12:36 am »

Ron:
Great video.  Where is that park?  That looks like lots of fun!

Hi Levi:

The opening shots of the kids are in the river valley of Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada.

Before the skatepark scene the shots are taken by me and the hill is Silver Star Ski resort in B.C. Canada.

After that the shots are from the grand daddy of biking mountains, Whislter B.C. We picked that trail because is was fast and flowed. It's also the run that my 50 year old wife could ride and shoot the video. Some sections did test her though. She has really improved. She is a killer on cross country though.

Then there is the one shot of me doing two jumps. That is at Nordegg, Alberta. All the sites are beautiful and fun to ride.

With you riding those long runs I can see why you are a weight weenie with your bike. Mine has been 32 lbs, and the new Enduro is comp is around 30 lbs. Those extra few pounds probably add up after 20 or 30 miles.

Rocket_Ronny

Levi

« Reply #652 on: 1 Dec 2010, 03:56 am »
I have never been to Whistler B.C.  I am sure it is beautiful up there.  I also heard at one point that the MTB park was closing. 

You are correct, Cross-country cycling and endurance racing, you need to be efficient as much as possible.  It is surely different if you are a downhill rider as you rely on the strength of the bike to absorb all the impact.  Extra-strength on materials which makes the bike heavy.

Cheers!

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #653 on: 2 Dec 2010, 05:24 pm »
I want to show off my bike!  I want to show off my bike! :)

It's been a crazy 6 months.  I've had some severe health issues that are finally getting back to somewhat normal.  Now that things are stabilizing, the docs have been on me big time about exercising a bit more as preventive maintenance.  I took my bike out of the garage for the first time in about 7 years and re-discovered I really enjoy riding.  I'm not sure why I ever stopped riding a bike....

I've never owned an expensive bike before because I'm rough on stuff.  I've never been good with the changing gears thing and just torque the crap out of the bike and power through most of the time.  I'm not very tall (6'1") but have a big frame and carry a lot of weight naturally.  I decided to build up a new bike that would handle my weight as most of the bikes seem geared more toward lightweight guys.  Here's the result so far:

[img alt=]http://www.audionervosa.com/MGalleryItem.php?id=659[/img]

'11 Niner MCR9 steel hardtail frame - Moondust Grey color
'10 FSA Orbit Extreme headset
'09 Fox 32 F29 100mm fork - uncut tube until I can figure out fit for me
'11 Shimano XT 3X10 Dyna-Sys complete drivetrain
'09 Shimano XTR brakes
'10 Easton Monkeylite carbon riser bars
'10 Easton DH 50mm 10 degree stem (bought three others as well to find fit)
Thomson Elite seatpost
WTB Pure V Race seat (so far, after 6 different seats, this one seems to work)
Atomic platform pedals for now until I figure out what shoes and clipless pedal system I like best

Current wheels installed just so I could ride it:

Front: Hadley 5000 series 36 hole hub laced to Stan's ZTR Flow rim (waiting on 9mm through bolt conversion kit to arrive).  Tire is Kenda Small Block 8 2.1 width with tube.  I installed the stan's rim tape and could run them tubless except that I didn't have the right valve stem... so tubed for now.
Rear: Hope Pro 2 36 hole 10mm through bolt hub laced to Stan's ZTR Flow rim.  Tire is Kenda Small Block 8 2.1 width with tube.

Second wheelset that has been on backorder for 5+ weeks waiting on hubs and should finally be built and ship this week:

Front: Hadley current 6000 series 36 hole 9mm through bolt hub laced to Stan's ZTR Flow rim (likely going to run tubeless with 2.35 width tire)
Rear: Hadley current 6000 series 36 hole 10mm through bolt hub laced to Stan's ZTR Flow rim (likely going to run tubeless with 2.35 width tire)

The bike is currently fairly light given the gear on it.  I haven't weighed it officially but it's got to be under 30 pounds, which isn't bad for a larger steel framed bike with my component choices.  I'm never going to have a weight weenie light bike as I need a little heavier stuff for my size and weight (the flow rims are the only ones stan's says I can use for my weight and I went 36 spoke for the stiffness of the wheel).  I like the steel frame material with the big 29er wheels after riding a bunch of aluminum frames and feeling jarred a lot.  The steel is more compliant and has a bit of give to it, while still being fairly stiff when I lay into the crank.  29ers are definitely for me.  I can't believe I ever rode a 26inch wheel before.  For now, I've only been riding it on greenways and big, wide open hardpack city park "trails" like the American Tobacco Trail here in Durham.  Carlman is going to get me on some singletrack eventually though.  He's been invaluable in helping me put this bike together and I can't thank him enough...  He has been helping me with my pedaling as well and learning how to be better about shifting gears.  Given the places that I currently ride, I use the big ring on the front crank about 90% of the time and can't imagine only having two rings.  I need the speed of the big ring :)  We'll see how that changes as I try trails and if that means the majority of my riding conditions change. 

Levi

« Reply #654 on: 2 Dec 2010, 06:37 pm »
Congrats on the new bike!  Definitely, riding a bike is good for your cardiovascular system. 

I love the color and component choices on your magic carpet ride.  It should ride sweet like a Titanium bike once you find that magic speed.  Likewise, nice component choices specially the wheelsets.  You are like me, I like them noisy. 

That bike is almost race ready except for the platform pedals.  Nevertheless, it should give you a lifetime of enjoyment and fitness.  :thumb:

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #655 on: 3 Dec 2010, 08:58 pm »
Thanks Levi...

The bike is seriously fast even at its current weight.  29er wheels, while heavier than 26ers, are so much more efficient per pedal stroke...

I go so much faster on the new bike than the old one...  The Fox definitely helps.  I don't even notice bumps and roots at all with it setup well.  Just like butter.  When I punch it though, the thing just launches forward...

I'm happy so far with the Hadley on the front.  The Hope on the back is a bit loud, but I'm getting used to it :)  It was a case of as the delays continued getting the new Hadley hubs, I need wheels right now so I don't have to stare at the bike on the stand.  This was the best compromise that was in stock and could ship immediately so I could ride the bike...  I figured I could always sell them for close to what I paid once the Hadleys finally arrived...

I've hit a few bigger bumps with the bike so far which make me wonder what full suspension would be like.  but so far, it's been everything I could wish for and more in a bike...

I'm going to spring for some clip and shoe options this weekend and give them a try...

Levi

« Reply #656 on: 3 Dec 2010, 09:59 pm »
The Hope Pro 2 hubs and bearings are great.  I think the Hadley is just as loud.  It is the sound of quality.  :) They are both good hubs perhaps the Hadley is a little lighter weight?!?  You didn't mention your weight but your bike is surely built for strength and comfort.

A dual suspension 29er is even faster on rough stuffs.  :thumb:

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #657 on: 29 Dec 2010, 02:00 pm »
all right... the sickness is in full effect...  but I have an excuse... Honest, I do :)

I figured I finally had the bike to do it and Carl convinced me to come out and try some single track riding here locally.  I'd only ever ridden dirt roads, bike paths, greenways, etc. etc. Nothing quite like the rooty, bumpy, rocky experience I had that first time a few weeks back.  I really enjoyed it.  So much so that I went back again... but it had to be a week later because my back was so shot from taking a beating that I could barely walk for a few days.  lots of meds...

the second visit was just as bad as the first... I was a lot more comfortable with the trail and style of riding and have gotten exponentially better as allowing my legs and arms to act as shock absorbers and staying out of the saddle to avoid the biggest hits.  But riding on trails here on a hard tail is just hard on an old guy's wonky back.  I wish I was younger and able to handle it a bit better... but I'm not and I'm not sure that continuing to ride once a week and then being laid up for a week is a good recipe for fitness improvement :)  I think I'm going to need a full suspension to take some of the wallop out of the bumps and hits...

So all or part of the Niner MCR is now for sale and I ordered up some full suspension frames.  I picked up a Turner Sultan used frame on Monday and a brand new Niner R.I.P. 9 shipped to me on Monday as well.  It should be here on Friday.  I guess I don't do anything the easy or cheap way :)

Between all the parts I've ordered, including matching complete sets of Shimano XT drivetrain, I should be able to reasonably compare both full suspension rides... not sure if I will keep both of them or pick a "winner" that I like best and sell off the rest... we'll see....

bikes are just as expensive and addictive as audio gear... 

baumer

« Reply #658 on: 29 Dec 2010, 02:33 pm »
Welcome to the darkside...  :lol:

A new Niner and Turner on the way. That's a nice way to dive into Mtn. Biking!
I've been Mtn. biking for 20 some years and just started getting into road biking more. It's a nice change of pace, trying out that "other" sport, and I've found it makes my off-road riding fresh again.

Welcome to the club!

If you want to know about getting beat up on a bike check out my rigid 29'er... :thumb:

BikeWNC

« Reply #659 on: 29 Dec 2010, 02:52 pm »
I feel your pain HTD.  My back doesn't like riding singletrack on a hardtail either.  I bought an Epic 29er last month that I enjoy, though the snow hasn't let me use it much on the trails.  I know that the Turner will be a revelation for you.  We're not kids anymore and I think riding FS is a no brainer.  Have fun.